NRA Regional vs. State Championship

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

NRA Regional vs. State Championship

Post by jbmarshtx »

Is there more of a draw for an NRA regional than a state championship?

I visited a range that used to hold high power silhouette matches in the past, but now only hosts BPCR. Side note, I shot the BPCR 22 course of fire with my scoped smallbore rifle all standing and it was fun shooting out to 200 yards. They do an anything goes and a BPCR 22 category at their rimfire matches. My score was about the same as my normal smallbore score.

I had talked with this range about being a back up for the Texas State Championship, but timing didn't work out. So, as I look to 2022...is there more of a draw for an NRA regional or a State Championship? My proposal would be a spring match that would be maybe 4x40 shot matches or something.

This would be the first highpower match they might have hosted in forever, so I'd like to get a decent number of shooters if it works out. This range would be closer to anyone near or North of Dallas. So, you MO/OK/CO shooters would be closer to this range than New Braunfels if I were to submit a proposal for a spring regional.
Last edited by jbmarshtx on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
shakyhold
B Poster
B Poster

Re: NRA Regional vs. State Championship

Post by shakyhold »

Graham?
It was a nice facility, shot there many times.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

shakyhold wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:12 am Graham? It was a nice facility, shot there many times.
Yes.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

jbmarshtx wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:25 am Is there more of a draw for an regional than a state championship?
Probably and it sure is A LOT more cost effective for the match director... Just sayin...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

It is required by the NRA to contact your state organization to have a state championship.Then the NRA will sanction a state match.
Depending on how well your state organization supports the event.Usually it’s a fee per shooter.
If they provide or reimburse for awards it may be worth it.Some states only a resident can be state champion.
Also membership is required of some state organizations per shooter.
Therefore a regional is probably the best option.
Many years ago on this forum there was a post discussing the value of state organizations in regards to silhouette state championships.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

Background is that I am the current TSRA director for high power silhouette, so my main responsibility is to direct a state match. Texas only has one current high power range, and I was looking for another possible site for a match.

I'd written up a proposal for this location, but the timing didn't work. So, I was thinking of seeing about directing/hosting an NRA regional if I knew I would get more shooters than we might get at our state match...25 +/- 2 usually.

That's why I posed the question. NRA does provide awards if you do a regional. Our state org does not.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

hermit5 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:49 pm It is required by the NRA to contact your state organization to have a state championship.Then the NRA will sanction a state match.
Depending on how well your state organization supports the event.Usually it’s a fee per shooter.
If they provide or reimburse for awards it may be worth it.Some states only a resident can be state champion.
Also membership is required of some state organizations per shooter.
Therefore a regional is probably the best option.
Many years ago on this forum there was a post discussing the value of state organizations in regards to silhouette state championships.
So I have been asking around and it seems that usually if there is a state, with no state championship, it's because the state rifle organization is no help and just sits there with their hand out....

So in a lot of ways, the NRA does more to support competition, even in it's current limited capacity, with matches being sanctioned as "Regional" then a lot of states do... When you break it down, for your "per shooter match fee, the NRA helps with overall aggregate awards, record keeping, and really inexpensive match supplies.... States Rifle organizations do what? (and before someone takes it as a personal challenge, I am sure there are some state rifle organizations that chip in for championship matches.... but from what I have come to understand, most just hold their hand out)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?