where does cathy practice?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
propwash
B Poster
B Poster

where does cathy practice?

Post by propwash »

Or does she even need to? I live in Illinois as I think she does and I can't find a match to save my life...Maybe she's wealthy and can jump on a plane and travel whenever she wants? Maybe the sponsors pay for it? I'm just a normal guy and spent a few hours on the road saturday traveling to another state for my first match...I forgot about crossing a time zone and had to haul ass to make it about 10 mins. before the match started and was a bundle of nerves, not a little bit either. I was like Tom Cruise in days of thunder after the big wreck where he was blowing engines and is crew chief was saying wooo-wooo it's all in your head. I haven't shot so bad since I was 7 or maybe ever...hell it was like I was trying to miss. I ended up with an 11/40 and won the standard class after a shoot off...yeah go figure that one? It was a little windy but not that bad, no one could hit jack. So hunter class came around and I figured I couldn't shoot that bad again if I tried....I drove through the smoke and pulled out a 22/40 and won that as well...not the class...the match(16 shooters). That was definately not near my potential but I guess after realizing that these guys were all just a bunch of rednecks like me, it made the nerves subside and I'll keep it in mind for the next one. The point though is that this sport is going to get old real quick if I have to drive three hours just to shoot a (local) match. I want to organize one at my club but I don't have the experience yet. Any help? thoughts?
Thanks, guys
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

My suggestion would be to find a club that is willing to let you hold the match and put up some stands and start having a fun match to generate interest. Call the NRA and hopefully you can get some guidance from them as well. There are others on here that can help you more than I but sometimes you just have to DO IT to get started. A fun match is a good place to start, and maybe someone will show some interest in helping you.

Kevin
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Where in Illinois?

Post by Jetmugg »

Would it be any closer for you to drive to the StLouis area? Also, I think there are some shoots in southern IN.

What's your location in IL?

SteveM.
propwash
B Poster
B Poster

Post by propwash »

I live in central Illinois. St.Louis is 4 hours and I went to Indiana which was 3 hours. I may try to make it sometime but it's alot of driving just for a local match. I will try to make it to Benton in September to see what a large match is all about and to represent the yanks:) up here in the North.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Cathy had a special secret underground bunker created that lets her practice in private. It is complete with special fans set every 10m to simulate wind patterns at matches or they can be turned off for accuracy testing. She has swinger targets at the appropriate ranges that record hits on the target and light up the respective locations on screens back at the firing line. A recent addition that has just been completed was to extend the range of the bunker from 100m to 500m so that she can practice for highpower matches in secret also. From what I hear, she lets her brother Chad use the range every once in a while if he cooks her a nice dinner. :)

Ok.. that's all BS and I have no idea where she actually practices. I remember reading an article a while back in which the writer said that she tries to live fire practice when she can but she dry fire practices every day in short sessions. Chad frequents this forum and every now and then, so maybe he can pipe up with real info. I'm just bored waiting on a call from a vendor. :lol:
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Jason,

Is that right next to the Batcave or the Fortress of Solititude......

Looking forward to seeing all you guys at the Cup this year. Do you want me to have Chardonnay bring me a small rock and a small bit of dirt from your old home state to bring you when I come up? She lives there and I think we will see here in Jacksonville Fla in a few weeks.........

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

propwash
Congratulations on both of your wins at a trying match ! Perseverance
as you see pays off even though conditions are adverse and may seem
insurmountable. Your scores may seem not that great but if you did the best you could regardless of the competition , you're a champion !

As far as practice and what others do for training, that also is immaterial
because you have to find a recipe that works for you. We can't all be sponsored shooters or born with a silver spoon so we have to make the most of the opportunities we do have. You may want to revisit the
'practice or training' thread. Dryfiring helps if you have a suitable place
at home even. You can use mental rehearsal with this and imagine as
vividly as possible being in a match that you perceive to be important.
Pilkguns.com has lots of info for training guides. And again Mr. Bassham's
books and tapes are excellent.

Setting up a range at a local club can seem like pulling teeth but you know how a match is run and you know what is required for resources
(stands,targets ,administration paint, awards ,range prep etc). Slowly
introducing the local crowd to the sport with fun matches is a great idea.
At one of the local clubs smallbore handgun targets are used at 25,50,75,
100 and they have a moose target at 125yds. No time limits and you keep
your own score and all the heckling you can dish out as long as you can
take it back. These fun matches are very well attended upwards of thirty
or more entries. Our true silo matches attract about a dozen shooters.

I may have rambled here a bit, I can blame that on my chemo treatment
but I hope there are some ideas for you and I wish you all the best with
your shooting and future matches.
Regards
Andrew Patchett
shootnchef
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shootnchef »

Well to tell you the truth Jason is right. I just have never cooked dinner for her so I have not seen it myself. :lol:

I myself drve 15 miles to a little clearing in the woods trek uphill both ways in waist deep snow just to set up my swingers. Then I usally remember my ammo was back at home so I dryfire with what is in my vest pockets.
SmallCaliber
B Poster
B Poster

Cathy

Post by SmallCaliber »

As normal for me(lost) Who is "Cathy" ??
Lock -n- Load ....Denny Crane
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Cathy is Cathy Winstead, ShootnChef's sister. She's been known to win a silhouette match or two, and is the first (and only) person I've seen shoot a perfect 40/40 at a match. :)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Jason,
There are a number of shooters that have hit the 40 mark in standard rifle at competitions including Jared Perry's start at 2006 nationals in Ridgeway. They include Sanchez, Tim Kurek, Larry ONeil Troy Lawton, Bill Motl and Cathy. In hunting rifle I rember Troy Lawton hitting the big 40 mark and I'm aware Cathy and at least one other Georgia shooter making the 40 in a match. I've seen it done several other times in the ease of training situations. You to can obtain that goal, go for it!!
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
propwash
B Poster
B Poster

Post by propwash »

shootnchef wrote: I just have never cooked dinner for her so I have not seen it myself. :lol:
So what your really saying here is that after waxing her car or cleaning all the guns or maybe cutting the grass you've thought better of the dinner bet......although that may have been easier than waxing the car. Nice try Chad :roll:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Innocent wrote:Jason,
There are a number of shooters that have hit the 40 mark in standard rifle at competitions including Jared Perry's start at 2006 nationals in Ridgeway. They include Sanchez, Tim Kurek, Larry ONeil Troy Lawton, Bill Motl and Cathy. In hunting rifle I rember Troy Lawton hitting the big 40 mark and I'm aware Cathy and at least one other Georgia shooter making the 40 in a match. I've seen it done several other times in the ease of training situations. You to can obtain that goal, go for it!!
Mary
Yep, I know lots of others have done it. Cathy is the only one that I've personally seen do it, though. :)
propwash
B Poster
B Poster

Post by propwash »

dryfire wrote:Introducing the local crowd to the sport with fun matches is a great idea.At one of the local clubs smallbore handgun targets are used at 25,50,75,100 and they have a moose target at 125yds.
We do this already but it's just not the same as shooting a match against serious competitors and the powers that be at the club will never see a reason to move beyond what their doing. The first match is always fun but you'll have an average Joe shooting his open sight 10/22 against one of the clubs 3P shooters with an 1813 so as you could imagine the fun doesn't last too long. You can only train your head so much, the rest you have to experience. I guess I'm really just whining because I spent a couple hours straight looking for a club anywhere in Illinois that shoots smallbore sillywet and notta....bunches of IPSC, highpower and Trap but thats it...kinda depressing but look at the bright side I'll save money on ammo.