Ammo Shortage

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Ammo Shortage

Post by OldRanger »

High Speed wrote:
Jerry G wrote:Must be a gattling gun to spit out 3,000 per minuet. I want to shoot one of thoes. =))
They call them mini guns today. Same thing as Gatling gun, electric motor driven now, with a much higher rate of fire. Up to 6,000 rds per minute. At today's ammo prices, that's about $3,000.00 a minute. Your tax dollars at work. All law enforcement need these. Unless your Jesse Ventura, most folks find them hard to manage off hand. You would normally want to mount it in your APC or Helo. Never know when you may be attactted by a heard of flying cattle. Go to the next multi gun match in Texas that LaRue puts on. They normally have one set up there. Each competitor gets to fire fifty rds., last about two seconds. :D
Stay Safe
But that still doesn't impact the 22 shortage. Unless they make a 22 version?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

I never said any of my work guns were .22lr. I also have not seen any hard facts that the DHS has purchased any .22lr ammo. I've been looking for a break down of this DHS ammo purchase by caliber but I have not been able to find any such info.

The reason for not discussing my work is for OPSEC reasons. Sure, you could probably find out a lot about my place of employment on the internet, but I won't be the one putting out information on an open forum where anyone can find it.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Ghostofwar wrote:The reason for not discussing my work is for OPSEC reasons. Sure, you could probably find out a lot about my place of employment on the internet, but I won't be the one putting out information on an open forum where anyone can find it.
Are you a CIA operative? I didn't know there were any others here. I thought that I was the only one. I am a secret agent.

Don't tell anybody.

Dustin
High Speed
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by High Speed »

dustinflint wrote:
Ghostofwar wrote:The reason for not discussing my work is for OPSEC reasons. Sure, you could probably find out a lot about my place of employment on the internet, but I won't be the one putting out information on an open forum where anyone can find it.
Are you a CIA operative? I didn't know there were any others here. I thought that I was the only one. I am a secret agent.

Don't tell anybody.

Dustin
Maxwell Smart Jr. Should have known. See ya this weekend. Drive Safe. Might add "all as well", that are attending the Mid South match this weekend. Pay heed to your speed as you come down Sardis Rd. to the range. If you don't, the local LEO's will!
Stay Safe
Mark
Ghostofwar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ghostofwar »

Ok now, calm down guys. I am not a spook or a kook, but I do take my job seriously. Lets just move on from talking about me and talk about the reason we can't find ammo...
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Ghostofwar wrote: I am not a spook or a kook, but I do take my job seriously...
I'm from the government, I'm here to help you.... =))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/ ... versation/

So.................. The ammo makers are filling this order, how much effort can they put out to make 22 ammo?

1.6 billion rounds would last the US army 20 years. Now tell me about the APCs they have.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

It is a little hard not to pay attention when this is in the news.

ICE's ammunition requests in the last year included:
--450 million rounds of .40-caliber duty ammunition
--40 million rounds of rifle ammunition a year for as many as five years, for a total bullet-buy of 200 million rounds
--176,000 rifle rounds on a separate contract
--25,000 blank rounds
The Homeland Security ammo buy is not the first time the government's bullets purchases have sparked concerns on the Internet. The same thing happened last year when the Social Security Administration posted a notice that it was buying 174,000 hollow point bullets.
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

Jerry G wrote:http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/ ... versation/

So.................. The ammo makers are filling this order, how much effort can they put out to make 22 ammo?

1.6 billion rounds would last the US army 20 years. Now tell me about the APCs they have.

Jerry, as of 2007 ATK (Lake City) was producing 1.4 BILLION rounds of ammo for our armed forces PER YEAR! They have subsequently reduced production due to the US Government cutting back orders substantially. Fortunately, ATK was successful in negotiating a clause in their recently extended contract with the US government so that they can use any excess capacity at Lake City to produce ammo for the civilian market. If you would like to confirm this information just go to ATK's website and listen to their most recent earnings conference call.

I would have thought it would have been obvious that centerfire and rimfire ammo are produced in radically different ways on radically different equipment, if not, it should be?

You might want to consult Trent's posting under "Rimfire Ammunition" regarding this same subject.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Today in May 28. My LGS has .22 ammo in the store. One-box-a-day at "normal" prices. 1 mile away Gander Mountain had 50 count boxes of Federal Gold Match for $28 a box...They didn't seem to be moving many either. This may be the beginning of the end of the shortage.

M
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Brunos has had SK Standard Plus and Wolf MT in stock now for 9 days. I've seen them run out of those in hours before. Also champions choice has sk rifle in. Lets hope the stocks can catch up with the demand.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

There s also a disturbing creature that's appeared. They stake out Cabelas and Bass Pro on delivery days and when the rimfire and other popular ammo is put out they buy all they can carry......they eventually appear at gun shows hustling their goods for a profit. Combine this with hoarders and preppers and maybe the G...and you have an ammo shortage.....but note that all components are in short supply....hoarders and profiteers
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

"I would have thought it would have been obvious that centerfire and rimfire ammo are produced in radically different ways on radically different equipment, if not, it should be? You might want to consult Trent's posting under "Rimfire Ammunition" regarding this same subject."

I am well aware that CF and RF are different.

How does that explain the brass, lead, and powder shortages. I saw a letter from a powder supplier that stated that the powder shortage would get worse before it gets better. It is all going to finished ammo.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

All I know is we are having 4 people max show up for our Thursday eve matches and our recent Saturday match was 4 people.
Where are the other 5+. I attribute it to ammo shortage in our region or not paying the high prices when can find.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Jim T.
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jim T. »

Jerry G wrote:"I would have thought it would have been obvious that centerfire and rimfire ammo are produced in radically different ways on radically different equipment, if not, it should be? You might want to consult Trent's posting under "Rimfire Ammunition" regarding this same subject."

I am well aware that CF and RF are different.

How does that explain the brass, lead, and powder shortages. I saw a letter from a powder supplier that stated that the powder shortage would get worse before it gets better. It is all going to finished ammo.
Jerry:

I have tried to explain what is going on for the past year or so using logic, data, and personal observations to no avail. Accordingly, I have come up with a scenario that is not hard to visualize that really sums up what is going on and it is this:

Imagine you are at a cocktail party. The party is organized by two well know organizations. The participants are "DROPOUTS" from the programs these organizations represent. The organizations are, Weight Watchers and Alcoholics Anonymous. Now visualize how hard it is going to be to get a drink or any hors d'oeuvres!!!

I think that sums up the current situation?