Dedicated ranges?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Our range is a private member-only range except for competition days. We have card keys that get you in the gate (and record it) and we have video cameras on the firing lines and facing downrange. Even with being a member-only range limited to 300 members total and a two-year waiting list, we had problems with members shooting up target stands and even the 6" diameter flag pole right up until we installed the cameras. After a couple less than observant (of both the range rules and the cameras) members got caught breaking rules and were taken care of, we haven't had any more issues that I know of. Now that we have both the keycard gates and the cameras, I feel a lot more confident that my work won't be destroyed by idiots. :)

We're currently in the planning stages for adding a centerfire cowboy lever action silhouette match to our schedule and building the firing line/target stands for that, as well as redesigning our smallbore and smallbore/pistol cartridge cowboy rails. I can't wait to be able to shoot the centerfire cowboy match at a range that's only two miles from my house. :D
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

I just dont get it that people actually destroy stuff the range they pay for. It is not like there arent ranges at my range for every type of gun and discipline. Just ranting. We actually had someone new that asked why they didnt have access to the targets. He was new and the match director politely told him it was because people would ruin or steel them. Imagine that.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

There is a range nearby that had sb stands that would fold down out of the way. They built a block wall about two feet of the ground with dirt in front to protect the stands, then folded the stands back out of the way and used a heavy chain and padlock to secure them.

If you decide to do the same thing make sure that no metal can be seen from the firing line that can be destroyed with HP rifles.
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

PICS of Zia R&P Rails - FOLDING

Post by jhmartin »

Very interesting to see the comments from other club members from all around ... so it's not just a New Mexico issue??? :lol:

We have normal target stands that are constructed so that they are cheap to replace if they do get trashed. (You can see one of these at 15 yards in the first pic) We even have an UNLOCKED shed that contains all the cellotex one could hope for .... all you have to do if a piece on the stand is trashed is go over, get another, get nails (provided), grab the hammer (provided) and nail it up ... no problem right???? I must say for 99.9% of our club members (I think over 1300 now) this works just fine .... it's the few morons that don't know how to use a hammer that amuses me.

Anyway, here is a link to my 4-H website that has photos of the smallbore silhouette rails that fold. Note that they fold down to be unseen from the firing line. Works pretty well .... sure beats lugging rails out to the berms.

http://www.vc4hss.com/_2007_Info/ZiaRails/ZiaRails.htm
mav
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mav »

jhmartin, thanks for the pics. Your folding rail system seems address the issues of vandalism and a multi-use range. Our silhouette program is in the formative stage and our rails are improvised. I hope we can look into something like your rails in the future.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Thanks for the pictures also. In Jackson, MS. our Smallbore range is also dual purpose. Centerfires can be shot any day except on Smallbore Match day. We piled dirt in front of the rails to try to decrease the centerfire hits on the rails but the dirt erodes and we need to periodically replace the dirt. If the "vandals" and that is what some of our club members are can see anything but dirt they will shoot it. Our rails are 3/4" X 3" flat bar. I would like to try railroad rails, grader blades, or this neat fold down system when these rails are shot up to the point they are unusable. Is there much target vibration(turning animals or animals falling off) with this fold down rail design?

Bobby R. Huddleston
jhmartin
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jhmartin »

Is there much target vibration(turning animals or animals falling off) with this fold down rail design?
I've never seen a solid rail hit move the animals ... this is made out of a pretty hefty angle iron .... on the longer Turkey and Ram rails, you really almost need two folks to fold a rail up unless you like playing with groin strains :roll:

Now if someone likes to "balance" an animal on the back of a rail, sure.

With the bolts in the legs tightened down, no problems

Wind is an issue, but I think that plays a role on most ranges.