scope stand ??

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

scope stand ??

Post by old sparky »

Back in the mid 70's I shot on a ROTC rifle team. We shot small bore, position. We had these spotting scopes that I presume were military spotting scopes, the stands were rods that would screw together. I think there were three but we usually only used two. The base was something like a barbale weight that was threaded in the middle. I may have this all wrong. I have looked for a stand like that on Google and ebay but have never found what I remember. I know there are some military gents on this forum that may be able to straighten me out.

thanks, Jim
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: scope stand ??

Post by richard »

What you were using was A freeland scope stand that Albin Freeland designed and marketed. I may have his last name misspelled. Anyway he is gone and so is his company but the stands are available from Champions Choice or Champions Shooters Supply. They make them with different diameter shafts and bases as well as different mounts for the scopes depending on what scope you use. They are still commonly used by highpower shooters, smallbore position shooters, and 10 meter airgun shooters. They are not as steady as a tripod for silhouette but they are great for posi
tion shooting because the scope can be moved up and down the shaft to accommodate whatever position you have to be shooting. They have a smaller footprint than a tripod too. They are not cheap but you only ever have to buy one. I have had mine for thirty years!
Rick
Richard
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Al-Freeland-Adj ... 51c6aaa890

Sparky, Ebay usually has some.......

Jim
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

They arn't real good for silhouette shooting.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

Those are not what I am talking about. They had a round plate at the bottom maybe 15-20 pounds. The rods were like those. Who knows they may have been made in a shop. They did have a military drab canvas case.

thanks, JIm
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

This may be the same type stand. The rod extended through the bottom clamp and many attached a barbell type weight to the bottom of the rod.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

The new Freeland stands are no where near the quality of the older stands made in the 70's (I have both) and the weights are an add on that was either home made or could be purchased.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
old sparky
B Poster
B Poster

Post by old sparky »

Thanks for the help. I need to get a stand sometime I use a VCR tripod. I always end up spending money in other places.

Jim
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Look for old surveyors tripods...if you can find any.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

For many years, I would purchase one of those mid priced camera tripods. it seems that bouncing around in the truck going to matches, I would go through these things in about 2 years. Rivets pop, screws strip, plastic cracks....... I considered buying a real nice one for about $200 +. Then I saw a guy with a homemade setup with a surveyors tripod. Thought that was a great idea!!
So I purchased a new surveyor tripod from Homer De-pot a few years ago for $99. Remove the hand bolt in the center that holds the transit. Installed a 1/4" aluminum plate on top of the platform. Drilled a hole in the center to accommodate one of the metal rods mentioned earlier from Champions Choice. Ran a bolt with a washer from underneath to hold the rod in place. Purchased the nice adjustable head also from Champions Choice. I'm thinking it's the last spotting scope stand I'll ever need.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Ebay. Bogen Manfrotto Tripods with 3 axis head and plate mount (so you don't have to mess with screwing it on and off). You can find them used for around $100. Just make sure the legs are the large diameter for more stability. I think mine are 3011 model tripod with a 3047 head and I love it, $100 shipped off ebay :D

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

K Danz wrote:For many years, I would purchase one of those mid priced camera tripods. it seems that bouncing around in the truck going to matches, I would go through these things in about 2 years. Rivets pop, screws strip, plastic cracks....... I considered buying a real nice one for about $200 +. Then I saw a guy with a homemade setup with a surveyors tripod. Thought that was a great idea!!
So I purchased a new surveyor tripod from Homer De-pot a few years ago for $99. Remove the hand bolt in the center that holds the transit. Installed a 1/4" aluminum plate on top of the platform. Drilled a hole in the center to accommodate one of the metal rods mentioned earlier from Champions Choice. Ran a bolt with a washer from underneath to hold the rod in place. Purchased the nice adjustable head also from Champions Choice. I'm thinking it's the last spotting scope stand I'll ever need.
K Danz
I was at home cheapo today and looked at what they had and they have the same problem most stands have. Cheap plastic center piece that the legs attach to and legs were weak flexi aluminum as well. Even the $500 dollar one was plastic.
Dee thanks for the additional info on the brand type to look for. I may buy the next one I see.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?