Happy New Year!

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Happy New Year!

Post by DavidABQ »

Happy New Year to everyone!
:ymparty:
Grizz61
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Happy New Year!

Post by Grizz61 »

Hurrah 2015 has begun.
Grizz

Let's shoot some STEEL!!
Brd_Hntr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Brd_Hntr »

Best of luck in the new year!
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Happy New Year!
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Happy New Year to everyone as well! :ymparty:
Baby Huey
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Baby Huey is alive?!?!?!

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
CZforlife
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by CZforlife »

Innocent wrote:Baby Huey is alive?!?!?!

Innocent
Baby Huey is alive he's just stuck in college now. I did rather well though this past semester with my 3.575GPA. Still own all my gear too with no intent on selling it. Hope all is well Mary!
Baby Huey
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

CZforlife wrote:
Innocent wrote:Baby Huey is alive?!?!?!

Innocent
Baby Huey is alive he's just stuck in college now. I did rather well though this past semester with my 3.575GPA. Still own all my gear too with no intent on selling it. Hope all is well Mary!
Wow a 3.575 GPA impressive Baby Huey. Um since when do we calculate GPA's out to three decimal places? LMAO You better try harder else you might lose out on a job later to someone with a 3.576 GPA! :lol:

GPA are all nice and fluffy but I've come to find them pretty meaningless. I've known people with 3.9 and 4.0 GPAs all through high school and college including Masters and PhD level with all their Magna and Summa Cum Laude awards. They might be book smart but they have the personalities of tree bark. But several did have perfect ACT and SAT scores! :-B

I'll give you a couple practical examples of why GPA's are meaningless in reality. Anyone that has been to college knows that word spreads about who the easy teachers are and those classes fill up first. Everyone else is left to take the hard teachers. Now if you had the easy teacher and made an A but didn't really have to do shit for it are you really more knowledgeable with your A then say someone that took the hard teacher and had to bust their ass just to get a B? Hardly! The people in the hard class I assure you learned a lot more material even if their final grade doesn't reflect it with an A. So there I just debunked the whole GPA system.

Oh and not to mention for some reason at one college I went to for two of the degrees they offered they had a 8 point grading scale with a minimum B grade to pass while all the other degrees had 10 point grading scales and only needed a C to pass. So someone that made a 90-91 on their tests in the end will have a 4.0 GPA while someone else who also made 90-91 test scores will end with a 3.0 GPA, yet they made the exact same test scores. Which one is smarter? If you only look at GPA the 4.0 right, but that isn't the case.

One last example. I had a Machine Design class once where we were put into groups of 5 per team. We had to each take a part of a machine and draw it in AutoCAD. I went ahead and drew all the parts and did the assembly drawing just for my own personal practice. When the day came to turn in the project the 4 women I was teamed up with were all in the CAD lab trying to START drawing their pieces. In the end I just gave them each my drawing for their part and we turned it in. They all got A's and I got a B on the project and I'm the one that drew the whole #^$&%*#ing THING! They did NOTHING, Nada, Zilch... but they flirted with the male teacher. So I guess we can measure intelligence using bra cup sizes as well =))

I know you aren't an introverted tree bark kind of guy Huey. Just don't get caught up in the whole GPA thing, do the best you can and you will be fine. People don't give a crap about GPAs later in life, it is all about what you can actually do.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Way to piss all over his good grades Dee...
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

What Dee said is sad but true. Dee, you should have told the instructor in a not so friendly way that those 4 women stole your work. Let me add that a 3.7 in Aerospace Engineering is different from a 3.7 in Psychology or Political Science. And yes, we have one child that is a Aerospace Engineering major and another child that is a Political Science/Law School graduate.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Ignore that guy in the fedora, Huey. I always checked GPA when interviewing programmers, especially looking at grades for their last two years to see if they actually liked what they were doing. Besides, you may decide to do some graduate work later, and then grades really do matter.

Get back on the range, too, because all work and no play...
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

My current employer, Microsoft, and other employers that I have worked for and hired employees for do indeed look at GPA, especially if there isn't significant industry experience that overshadows the academic work. Also, in most difficult (i.e. employable) majors there are only one or two instructors of a given class and they are often similar in difficulty and share the exact same tests. I know this was true for my advanced engineering and math courses, especially the honors courses. Good job on the good GPA with the other stuff you have going on right now. Keep it up. :)
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Ignore Dee. No offense Dee, but when we were hiring last year we threw out 2 apps when we checked the GPA. GPA is indeed important in some cases. And if you are going to do something don't you think you should do it right? Put forth maximum effort and reap maximum reward. Of course if anyone is seriously taking advice from anonymous people they don't know on the internet they probably have a screw loose somewhere anyways.....
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

To be fair to Dee, whom I know very well, I don't think his point was that GPA and grades are not important, rather that you can't be guaranteed that a person with a great GPA is going to be special just because that person has a high GPA.

Keep your grades up Baby Huey, but remember that there is always someone smarter out there; that's when you have to be willing to outwork them.

Dustin
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

"do the best you can and you will be fine" Guess you all stopped reading to go ahead and comment before getting to these words??? #-o

Dustin knows what I mean and so do others.

Whats next are you going to tell me people that get entire degrees online and have a 4.0 worked as hard as someone that dragged their ass to class day after day but got a 3.3? :lol:

Guys I wasn't peeing on Huey's grades or the need for good grades and GPA =; Just stating the plain facts as I see them and have experienced. I've worked with supposed Mechanical Engineers from India under me as my support techs while they were getting their Masters in Computer Science. While I had yet to have completed any degrees of my own. They all had either 3.7 or 4.0 GPAs from whatever college they went to in India. Yet they didn't know the ass end of a flat head screw driver. When I would get their resumes they ALL had 3.7 or 4.0 GPAs. I let one try to figure out why he couldn't connect to the network on a machine he was building for an entire day before showing him that the CAT5 cable wasn't fully plugged into the Ethernet card. These were supposedly super smart high GPA college graduates and I was just a lowly degree seeker. So why was I their boss and not the other way around? Because I actually knew WTF I was doing and the people that made the hiring choices knew it! For that matter I taught Professors with PhD's and department heads the things they needed to teach their computer classes. Now how can that be? :lol:

Correct me if I am wrong but the guy that built Microsoft didn't even finish college to have a final GPA.

Keep up the good work Huey! You know I am not trying to put you or your good grades down man! Knock that schooling out and get on with your life. Don't get distracted too much by women until you are done :lol:

Dee
Last edited by Dee on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!