Shooting for money/jackpot shot

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Shooting for money/jackpot shot

Post by joemo »

When I used to bowl in 9 pin no tap tournaments they would give you a ticket for a drawing and the winner would have the opportunity to throw a strike to win a jackpot that would carryover to the next week if that person missed. I think it would be fun to do something like that for silhouette matches.

What would you suggest for the target? A turkey at 100m? A chicken at 60m? A pig at a 100m? other ideas?
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Shooting for money/jackpot shot

Post by psteiger »

in Louisiana they have a pot going and if you get 10 in a row you get to shoot a chicken at 100m and if you hit, you get the pot.

Bill Motl does a deal where after the matches, everyone lines up at their shootoff animal, based on your classification, you get one shot, and if you hit, your name goes in a drawing for a substantial cash prize.

Expect more money games on Friday and Saturday at Winnsboro.
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 777 »

We shoot bowling pins (with pistols not pool cues) on Wednesday nights. After the match we do a Jackpot shoot. Previous winner brings a gun, his own gun so he can't compete. Everyone pays a dollar and shoots a target and closest to center gets the pot. Now the club agreed to put a dollar per entry in the bowling pin event towards a progressive pot. Then the winner for the night gets a single shot with the volunteered gun from 50 ft. And if he X-rings he gets the progressive. We've had $300 payouts. It's kinda fun and something that helps keep people around to help us clean up. We've had everything from an NAA micro revolver to a Red Ryder BB Gun show up.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

We used to shoot a ping pong ball held on a wire above the ram line to win the pot. Surprisingly that the pot barely grew as it was being hit weekly.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

At TRC we had an exploding pig. Sometimes the pot would be over $100. We have gone to an exploding ram. $2.00 to enter and if you hit the explosive you get the pot. The explosive is is about the size of a fifty cent piece and is taped to the last ram in the bank of 10.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Last year at CBC Colorado Shooter organized an after match shoot. You put in a buck, winner took all. They put chickens out at the ram line. If you hit at any given round, you went to the next round. Masters got one shot, AAA got 2, AA got 3, A got 4 and B got 5 shots. It was fun watching the line get whittled down. Also quite a challenge. I think we had about 30-40 people shooting.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I gave up running the chicken shoot off. The pot never got any real money in it since several people would usually hit a chicken or two. And that was with only giving away 20% of the pot for a hit in an attempt to get it to build up. Nope never did. We tried to do it and get people to try harder for 5 in a row for B, A and AA to qualify for a shot. While AAA, Master needed a 10 in a row to qualify for a shot. You could get it on any animal during either match but you had to get the 5 or 10 to even get the shot for the money. You had to put your money up before the match started of course :wink:

It might have actually run a few new shooters off! After the match they watched the money shoot and when they saw people hitting the chicken on the ram line they just shook their heads in disbelief. You can barely even see a chicken with the naked eye at that range and sometimes not at all.

Next up we were thinking extra thick AIRGUN chickens, at the Ram line of course. Maybe then the pot would build up!

If you have a group of good shooters you will need a difficult game to get the pot up :lol: Maybe something like a 10 in a row gets you a shot at 5 chickens at the Ram line and you have to run all 5 to cash in. Now that might just build a pot. Oh and we allow no spotters for money shots either :P

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by joemo »

I'm surprised you had that many people hitting chickens at the ram line. I would think that is an extremely difficult shot. We don't have many master class shooters in our matches (more often than not we don't have any). I would think a AAA shooter could not hit 1 out of 3 shots.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

A good AAA shooter would be able to do better than 1/3 of the chickens if conditions were great.
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

joemo wrote:I'm surprised you had that many people hitting chickens at the ram line. I would think that is an extremely difficult shot. We don't have many master class shooters in our matches (more often than not we don't have any). I would think a AAA shooter could not hit 1 out of 3 shots.
A chicken at the ram line is not that hard of a shot if you have the wind figured out. The problem we had in Louisiana is that the shooters got an additional shot at the chicken with each 10-in-a-row (or 5 for AA and lower) they hit. With both a standard and hunter match there were 8 chances for 10-in-a-rows. To have any chance to win one of our club matches you generally have to shoot 36 or better and clean the short line. It was not unusual for one of our Master shooters to have 4 or 5 shots at the chickens. Having all those shots is a huge advantage to a master shooter. My strategy was always to aim right down the middle at the first one and see what the wind did to the bullet then adjust accordingly on the next one, or two , or three.

It's a good game but probably should be adjusted to allow only one shot at the chicken to avoid the opportunity for a good shooter to make adjustments.

Dustin
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Dustin, sounds like you need to move that chicken out to the 200 meter line on the HP range!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

dustinflint wrote:
joemo wrote:I'm surprised you had that many people hitting chickens at the ram line. I would think that is an extremely difficult shot. We don't have many master class shooters in our matches (more often than not we don't have any). I would think a AAA shooter could not hit 1 out of 3 shots.
A chicken at the ram line is not that hard of a shot if you have the wind figured out. The problem we had in Louisiana is that the shooters got an additional shot at the chicken with each 10-in-a-row (or 5 for AA and lower) they hit. With both a standard and hunter match there were 8 chances for 10-in-a-rows. To have any chance to win one of our club matches you generally have to shoot 36 or better and clean the short line. It was not unusual for one of our Master shooters to have 4 or 5 shots at the chickens. Having all those shots is a huge advantage to a master shooter. My strategy was always to aim right down the middle at the first one and see what the wind did to the bullet then adjust accordingly on the next one, or two , or three.

It's a good game but probably should be adjusted to allow only one shot at the chicken to avoid the opportunity for a good shooter to make adjustments.

Dustin
That is Dustin's way of saying he is one of the main SOBs cleaning out the pot so fast!
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

I shot 8.5 x 11 inch steel plates at 100 yards with a pistol back in the 1980s. We had lanes where you would shoot at the remaining plates after the guy ahead of you. I guess there were 30 plates per lane, so they would last 10 or more guys. It would take a while to get all the plates down because rules were pistol offhand, no optics. So to kill the wait of 10 guys shooting 5 shots, they had a 8.5x11 wooden target set up with the typical 50 cent size explosive taped to the back. 1.00 a shot, and it would go weeks sometimes before an explosion. Everyone would stop the match and hoot and holler a bit, and generally you would have powder and bullets for a year. Cool memory. I never hit it, but back then I did not have too much extra cash to play. Clariton Gun Club in Pittsburgh.