Dot size

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Post Reply
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:46 am

Dot size

Post by Kujones » Sat May 11, 2019 5:41 am

Having a Weber scope re-built with a Dot Reticle. What size dots do you like? How big is the 1/2 dot on Chickens?

atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: Rural Mississippi

Re: Dot size

Post by atomicbrh » Sat May 11, 2019 7:26 am

If the Ackermans are doing the work and you have no vision problems, their 3/8 MOA Dot with their finest crosshair is what I like.
The 1/2 MOA Dot seems a little too big for me especially on Chickens but it is still usable.

Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster
Posts: 2715
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Casa Grande, AZ

Re: Dot size

Post by Jerry G » Sat May 11, 2019 11:18 am

For a pistol, 2 min.

User avatar
dustinflint
Master Poster
Master Poster
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 12:13 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Dot size

Post by dustinflint » Sat May 11, 2019 2:59 pm

I use 1/2 MOA dot reticles on all my silhouette scopes.

Dustin

Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster
Posts: 2715
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Casa Grande, AZ

Re: Dot size

Post by Jerry G » Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 am

1/2 min dot for any rifle and any power.

User avatar
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41 pm
Location: Ellensburg, WA

Re: Dot size

Post by Emietenkorte » Sun May 12, 2019 11:33 am

These are out of my Leupold FX3 25X at smallbore chickens

3/8 dot
Image

1/2 dot
Image

GSL
A Poster
A Poster
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:29 am

Re: Dot size

Post by GSL » Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm

HI ALL ,

I find that 3/8 minute ALLOWS you to place a bullet into another bullet hole BETTER ...
than a 1/2 minute ... the 1/2 minute is slightly bigger than a .22 LR bullet hole at 40 meters .

GSL

Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm
Location: West Monroe, LA

Re: Dot size

Post by Doodaddy » Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 am

GSL wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm
HI ALL ,

I find that 3/8 minute ALLOWS you to place a bullet into another bullet hole BETTER ...
than a 1/2 minute ... the 1/2 minute is slightly bigger than a .22 LR bullet hole at 40 meters .

GSL
I usually offset my POI from POA when shooting groups to "fix" that problem with the 1/2MOA dot.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image

User avatar
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Rio Rancho, NM

Re: Dot size

Post by DavidABQ » Mon May 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Doodaddy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 am
GSL wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm
HI ALL ,

I find that 3/8 minute ALLOWS you to place a bullet into another bullet hole BETTER ...
than a 1/2 minute ... the 1/2 minute is slightly bigger than a .22 LR bullet hole at 40 meters .

GSL
I usually offset my POI from POA when shooting groups to "fix" that problem with the 1/2MOA dot.
Oh crap! I have a 1/2 minute dot on both of my silhouette scopes! I didn’t know that was wrong. I guess I better change my POA to fix my scopes too. :roll:

I am rather fond of my 1/2 MOA dot. It does not seem to big for me but everyone is different.

Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm
Location: West Monroe, LA

Re: Dot size

Post by Doodaddy » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 am

DavidABQ wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:54 pm
Doodaddy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:55 am
GSL wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm
HI ALL ,

I find that 3/8 minute ALLOWS you to place a bullet into another bullet hole BETTER ...
than a 1/2 minute ... the 1/2 minute is slightly bigger than a .22 LR bullet hole at 40 meters .

GSL
I usually offset my POI from POA when shooting groups to "fix" that problem with the 1/2MOA dot.
Oh crap! I have a 1/2 minute dot on both of my silhouette scopes! I didn’t know that was wrong. I guess I better change my POA to fix my scopes too. :roll:

I am rather fond of my 1/2 MOA dot. It does not seem to big for me but everyone is different.
No one said you were wrong lol.

If you're group shooting to test ammo it's almost always best to move POI away from POA to retain your aiming point regardless of reticle.

Image

Let's say you're aiming for the center dot of any of those bullseyes and then hit the dot. You can't see the dot the next shot so a consistent aiming point is no longer possible causing the merits of the group size to be called into question because your aiming point was roaming for the following shots. If you add 3-4moa of elevation or windage from your scope while shooting at that dot, you'll never take out your aiming point and you can be consistent from shot to shot.

Of course it's easiest to shoot groups with a benchrest stock in a one piece rest by returning the rifle to battery after each shot completely removing point of aim entirely, but that's hardly relevant here.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image

User avatar
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Rio Rancho, NM

Re: Dot size

Post by DavidABQ » Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Wow! I just eyeball my group and estimate the group size. You have it down to a science! I guess I might try altering my POI from my POA and see if it makes any difference. I guess it can’t hurt unless I break the windage adjustment in my scope. That probably won’t happen.

Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm
Location: West Monroe, LA

Re: Dot size

Post by Doodaddy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:52 am

DavidABQ wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 pm
Wow! I just eyeball my group and estimate the group size. You have it down to a science! I guess I might try altering my POI from my POA and see if it makes any difference. I guess it can’t hurt unless I break the windage adjustment in my scope. That probably won’t happen.
I'm admittedly super particular, but if I'm going to go through the hassle of doing something, I don't like leaving something to question.

If you're testing ammo at 50 yards, use your scope's ram setting. If you're testing at 100 meters, use the pig setting. The elevation should be plenty different to not have shots impact near your aim. You don't have to adjust windage if you don't want to.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image

User avatar
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster
Posts: 1643
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Rio Rancho, NM

Re: Dot size

Post by DavidABQ » Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Those scope settings are really good suggestion! Thank you. :-bd

Post Reply