bolt failure

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: bolt failure

Post by Snake »

I suggest that the cartridge detonated...it was probably defective in as much as the damage even to a poor made action required considerable pressure. As an anecdote my clients were making zip guns using antenna tubing for barrels. They fired 22's repeatedly and good enough to kill. No doubt a weak receiver and an explosive cartridge are a dangerous combination. Neither manufacturer will do anything except point to the other absent definitive laboratory tests,,,,,,and they ain't cheap. Anschutz is a German manufacturer and Eley is in England both countries workforces are currently filled with migrants-
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Yep, Snake hit the nail on the head with that post. When the wall went down factories were forced to hire people they knew were not qualified.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

atomicbrh wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am Yep, Snake hit the nail on the head with that post. When the wall went down factories were forced to hire people they knew were not qualified.
Good thing that will never happen here is the good ol' USA....
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Another anecdote ....my client had a brand new Marlin in 45-70 and bought a box of 350 gr Hornady ammo. During his attempts at sight-in shot number 14 from the box detonated destroying the rifle and putting shrapnel in his arm. The detonation was catastrophic literally consuming even the cartridge case, leaving just a yellow stain in what was left of the breech. Both Marlin and Hornady pointed at each other...the expense of testing was too costly for the owner. Only luck kept the owner from being crippled. Both manufacturers could care less......avoid either for your own safety. I suspect that number 14 was loaded under minimum ( the so called Leverlution powder).....yes sport fans factory ammo can be defective but don't expect the manufacturer to do anything about it....they are excluded from the Consumer Protection Act
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

I don’t remember the name of the shooter. He lived in the Texas Hill Country and was a world level IPSC competitor. He was competing in the Worlds in South Africa and was shooting his last stage in the lead when he experienced a FTF, cleared it and finished the stage, but the time list cost him the championship. When they tore down the round that did not fire it was discovered that the case had no flash hole from the primer pocket to the rest of the case. This was factory ammo. Nothing made by man is perfect.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I thought I commented on this earlier, but maybe I never submitted it. Situations differ of course. I 'blew up' the bolt on my 1813 back in the 1980s. Either a bad round or possibly a cleaning patch in the bore. My shot was loud and fire came out the relief hole on the side of the receiver. I opened the bolt and the extractors fell out... apparently the blast cooked the springs. I had the springs and extractors replaced, and competed a couple more years with that rifle apparently no worse for the wear.
saikatana
B Poster
B Poster

Post by saikatana »

Post by RBriscoe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:47 am

I don’t remember the name of the shooter. He lived in the Texas Hill Country and was a world level IPSC competitor. He was competing in the Worlds in South Africa and was shooting his last stage in the lead when he experienced a FTF, cleared it and finished the stage, but the time list cost him the championship. When they tore down the round that did not fire it was discovered that the case had no flash hole from the primer pocket to the rest of the case. This was factory ammo. Nothing made by man is perfect.

His name was Ray Chapman. He shot reloads after that

saikatana