Spirit level front sights for lever actions

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Spirit level front sights for lever actions

Post by SqHunter »

Are spirit level front sights legal for lever action silhouette? I am having a problem drifting to the left when I cant the rifle and thought these would help. I have searched the topic and can't find a conclusive answer.

Appreciate your wisdom.

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... 00-height/
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Spirit level front sights for lever actions

Post by GTS »

Since no one has weighed in on this, I might as well give you my .02 worth. Marlin offered a windage adjustable front sight with a spirit level as a special order item. I feel certain that it's primary use was on long range and/or target rifles such as the Ballard. However, since it was available, I would think that it would be "legal" in silhouette competition. The photo below was taken from Brophy's book on Marlin rifles.
Marlin Wind Guage Sight-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Thank you, that is interesting.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I withheld posting on this as I was hoping someone with more knowledge on it would post. I have seen people use them on there CLA rifles. I do not believe there is any rule against using them. Nor have I heard them being brought up at any competitor's meeting. I may be wrong as I don't always make the meetings.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

How much would a small cant change your POI at 200?

It is the indian, not the arrow.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Jerry G wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 am

Wisdom there.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

Jerry G wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 am How much would a small cant change your POI at 200?

The degree of can't seems to depend on which rifle.I experimented with it a bit at my one and only CLA match, and it seemed to make a difference between hitting horn or rump. Interested in the sight as a training tool, having seen similar items on long range shooters rigs of several disciplines. Also, I am thinking of mailing the rifle to Shaver for another issue and might as well have him put his sights on it while it is there.

Interesting historical topic, thanks for the replies.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Jerry G wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 am How much would a small cant change your POI at 200?

About 6-8" unless you are holding the rifle at a 45* angle...

Seeing how it isn't specifically EXCLUDED in the rules and they have been around about 4 times longer then this game and none of the top shooter that I know of use one.... I'm willing to bet they are more of a hindrance then a help....

My $0.02, YMMV, IMHO...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

cedestech wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 am

Seeing how it isn't specifically EXCLUDED in the rules and they have been around about 4 times longer then this game and none of the top shooter that I know of use one.... I'm willing to bet they are more of a hindrance then a help....

My $0.02, YMMV, IMHO...
Do you think they obscure the target? What else would make them a hindrance?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

The level will not obscure the target. That wouldn't make any sense for any shooting game. It might be a bit of a distraction however. I use a level on my BPCR, as to 95% of all BPCR shooters. But when it come to shooting chickens offhand at 200 meters, I ignore it. My offhand "natural position" is to have the rifle canted a bit to the right. That puts the bubble all the way over on the left where it does nothing useful. I can fight for keeping the barrel level and the bubble centered, but doing so will have me fighting the gun to get in position and that does not usually end well. For close range, offhand shooting (i.e., all 3 lever gun disciplines), I find the level at best, useless, and at worst a distraction. YMMV, of course.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

BrentD wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:54 am The level will not obscure the target. That wouldn't make any sense for any shooting game. It might be a bit of a distraction however. I use a level on my BPCR, as to 95% of all BPCR shooters. But when it come to shooting chickens offhand at 200 meters, I ignore it. My offhand "natural position" is to have the rifle canted a bit to the right. That puts the bubble all the way over on the left where it does nothing useful. I can fight for keeping the barrel level and the bubble centered, but doing so will have me fighting the gun to get in position and that does not usually end well. For close range, offhand shooting (i.e., all 3 lever gun disciplines), I find the level at best, useless, and at worst a distraction. YMMV, of course.
Thank you. That is an intersting point of view, to me the 200m Rams are long range.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

SqHunter wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 am
cedestech wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 am

My $0.02, YMMV, IMHO...
Do you think they obscure the target? What else would make them a hindrance?
What Brent said. If your hold is steady enough to be "on target" and then pay attention to the level.... you don't need it. If not then you'll be fighting yourself the whole time...

They have a place when you are trying to hit a smaller then half scale size ram at 200 yards, a couple inches IS a big deal. You are prone and the rifle is resting on sticks. Off hand it is too distracting. Buy it and try it. There isn't a match director outside of Nationals or a state match who is going to care. ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

there is only one way to settle this in your mind. Take your rifle and temporarily rig up some sort of level system for it or mount a scope with crosshairs that can be precisely canted relative to the target frame.

Then shoot a few groups with the rifle as near perfectly vertical as possible and then a few with the rifle canted. If see how much difference it makes.

but regardless, find out how you hold the rifle and the zero your rifle for that degree of cant. Not for zero cant.

200 m is short range in so far as the ballistics of your rifle work. I think you will find that minor amounts of cant just aren't really a big deal at 200 m.
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

BrentD wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 pm.

but regardless, find out how you hold the rifle and the zero your rifle for that degree of cant. Not for zero cant.

This portion of your statement is actually the main reason I am interested. I am not sure exactly why yet, but zeros for my new 3030 were greatly different between sighting in and the match. I don't know if it is mainly caused by pressure on the forearm, lighting on my partridge sight, or cant, but something caused me to shift high and right during the match. Once I got it figured out I scored well, but the first bank of Rams was a bust.
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

SqHunter wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 pm zeros for my new 3030 were greatly different between sighting in and the match.
Were you sighting in offhand or off the bench with a rest? The recoil is different, and that will effect POI. To get at least close with bench rest sighters, I use a technique shared by Mr. Steiger: put the rest right up under the action, not under the fore end. That did work better for me.