smallbore lever action and smallbore silhouette at the same time?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

smallbore lever action and smallbore silhouette at the same time?

Post by curmudgeon »

Hi,

We usually have 2 relays at our monthly 1/5 size smallbore silhouette matches with 2 or 3 banks of targets. I'm contemplating getting a set of 1/2 size smallbore hunter's targets and letting shooters shoot smallbore lever action while the other relay is shooting.

There are 3 sets of 1/5 size smallbore targets with sand backstops at 40-60-77-100 metres.
A set of 1/2 size lever action targets would be on their own rails at 40-50-75-100 meters, located just to the right of the 1/5 size smallbore targets.

It would be cozy, but there's room on the line for 4 more shooters.

An option for timing could be:
- "Ready" for smallbore
- after 15 seconds, "Fire, and Ready Levers" fire for smallbore, also the start of a ready for smallbore lever action
- after 30 seconds, "Fire Levers" for smallbore lever action
- after 2 minutes, "Cease Fire" for both

Is this a crazy idea?
Do any other clubs shoot smallbore lever action and smallbore silhouette at the same time?

Thanks,
-Steve
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: smallbore lever action and smallbore silhouette at the same time?

Post by frankmako »

Sound good to me. It is good to see a match director growing his match and the sport.
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

Missoula MT shoots Smallbore, Smallbore Lever, and Pistol Cartridge simultaneously. I can't remember how they do the commands though.
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

We do it in Jackson Tn. Works fine.
All New Hampshire clubs do it that way (at last I attended) .

Line call includes "cease fire Cowboy" 1/5 shooters know they have 30 seconds left.

In Jackson I give one " ready" call of 30 seconds. We are a small group. Most 1/5 regulars will count down 15 sec. in thier head then start handleing. ( you only cheat yourself)

Running both allows more shooters, more guns, more fun.
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

MOTO VITA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:53 am Missoula MT shoots Smallbore, Smallbore Lever, and Pistol Cartridge simultaneously. I can't remember how they do the commands though.
I would luv to do this with pistol cartridge - any push-back by smallbore shooters because of the louder report?

Hotrodrockets wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:14 am Running both allows more shooters, more guns, more fun.
I like "more fun"!!! I don't expect to draw more shooters overall, but will be able to put more shooters on the line at a time
I also like "more guns"; time to get serious about finding a smallbore lever action
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

I take it the match director won't be shooting a scoped rifle or any rifle while having to watch the "fire" timer for levers unless losing time to shoot doesn't matter. It won't matter if another competitor in the other relay calls the commands.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

We like going to local shoots where we can bring more guns. Some of the guys probably shoot four or five guns in one day. Some here in Western PA shoot matches out to 100m...rimfire and smallbore, scoped and irons, rifle and handgun. Same time limits , same firing line, multiple target banks. No complaints from us.
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

The more the merrier.

Delmarva Sportsman Association does this at every match. It not only works but people will have the opportunity to try a different Silhouette game if they want. Hypothetical Example: I am shooting Lever Action small-bore. I get to talking to the guy with the tricked out Ruger Mark III. The next thing you know I try his pistol and am hooked.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 am
MOTO VITA wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:53 am Missoula MT shoots Smallbore, Smallbore Lever, and Pistol Cartridge simultaneously. I can't remember how they do the commands though.
I would luv to do this with pistol cartridge - any push-back by smallbore shooters because of the louder report?
Not that I'm aware of. Once you combine Smallbore with smallbore lever everybody needs to be prepared for a 20" Henry shooting mini mags anyway.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I'm from Missoula and there are a few grumbles about the louder report, but not major. We only call one fire! command. I never come close to the limit so I don't see it as an issue. I suppose you could argue there is a benefit, but the lever guns are always done long before cease fire is called.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
curmudgeon
B Poster
B Poster

Post by curmudgeon »

Thanks for all the advice and insights.

Near-new 24" Frontier is "in the mail", on its way to me. I'm not giving up on finding a 39A, but I couldn't wait any longer to get started.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

curmudgeon wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm Thanks for all the advice and insights.

Near-new 24" Frontier is "in the mail", on its way to me. I'm not giving up on finding a 39A, but I couldn't wait any longer to get started.
You'll fall in love with the Henry Frontier Long Barrel. It has an attenuating effect on the off-hand aim. Put a Marble Arms tang sight on it and you'll have a 31" sight radius. My classification went up one with that rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

+1 on the 24" Henry. My wife normally shoots a 39A, but she dropped it in favor of a 24" Henry that I bought as a spare.