How many years worth of .22 ammo........

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

How many years worth of .22 ammo........

Post by DavidABQ »

How many years worth of .22LR ammo do you normally keep on hand? I started tracking my
.22 LR ammo consumption. While it varies from month to month I seem to average almost a brick a month.
With that in mind I was thinking about trying to keep something along the lines of 4-6 years worth on ammo on hand
What does everyone else do? 10 years worth? Buy a brick whenever you need it?
It has been slow in here so I thought to ask the question.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: How many years worth of .22 ammo........

Post by Sporty »

It depends. Because of the higher cost, I only have a case of match .22 LR ammo for each competition year. That may change since I've started to shoot hunter pistol matches this year. If I manage to purchase a Kel-Tec CP33 for hunter pistol then my stock of CCI Mini-Mags that I've had for six years will get used up soon. If instead of the CP33 I decide to get a T/C Contender Gen 2 12" .22LR then I may need more than a case of standard velocity match ammo. The three boxes of Thunderbolt plinking .22 LR ammo that I have on hand may last a decade more or outlive me. I have a hard time loading my Ruger Single-Six with those crappy Thunderbolts.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

The ammo that I am referring to is SK products. I have stopped using Dr appt Remington Thunderbolts or other bulk ammo. Life is too short to shoot Crap ammo.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

DavidABQ wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm The ammo that I am referring to is SK products. I have stopped using Dr appt Remington Thunderbolts or other bulk ammo. Life is too short to shoot Crap ammo.
I guess I haven't been on this forum long enough to know what you meant.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Sporty,

I use SK Standard Plus and sometimes SK Rifle Match in my prone rifle and SB Silhouette rifle. I have stopped using the bulk ammo like Remington Gold Bullets or CCI Blazer ammo. Life is too short to shoot crappy ammo in fine rifles.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

DavidABQ: why are you being a judgemental elitist about another shooter's choice of ammo? Because you choose to shoot SK Jagd doesn't make you better. Different disciplines, different ammo. Some people might even look down their noses at you for not shooting Eley. You asked a question and he responded. Isn't that what you wanted?
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

by topclass » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:37 am
DavidABQ: why are you being a judgemental elitist about another shooter's choice of ammo?

Did he say that?

Dave, it is cheaper to buy by the case and a couple cases on hand isn't too much. You are shooting over a case a year anyhow. When you go to Raton, several dealers have ammo there with no shipping costs.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I interpret "Life is too short to shoot crappy ammo in fine rifles" as being elitist. I had a good friend that liked to have his red wine over ice. Didn't matter how expensive the bottle. Had a wine steward one time call him out for it, saying it spoiled the wine's bouquet. He said "I paid for it, I'll drink it how I like it." If someone shoots whatever ammo for whatever reason, who is anyone to say its "crappy"? If they don't want to shoot it they don't have to. But don't criticize someone else's choices in the ammo or equipment they use? That to me is being elitist. It's why there's vanilla and chocolate ice cream.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

topclass wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm I interpret "Life is too short to shoot crappy ammo in fine rifles" as being elitist. I had a good friend that liked to have his red wine over ice. Didn't matter how expensive the bottle. Had a wine steward one time call him out for it, saying it spoiled the wine's bouquet. He said "I paid for it, I'll drink it how I like it." If someone shoots whatever ammo for whatever reason, who is anyone to say its "crappy"? If they don't want to shoot it they don't have to. But don't criticize someone else's choices in the ammo or equipment they use? That to me is being elitist. It's why there's vanilla and chocolate ice cream.
He followed my lead. I was the first to call Thunderbolts crappy.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I was going to post an apology to all of the bulk ammo users but guess what; I can live with the label elitist.

:))
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Remington .22 ammo is crap. So is most for the Winchester .22 ammo. I have more miss fires with both those brands. I've used Federal for two decades without more than a few miss fires. Eley and SK are out of my price range at my current skill level.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Szumi
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Szumi »

I figure I have a 2-3 years but that could change based on when I retire. To make sure I have packages sent to the house instead of my post office box, I've been adding a brick of .22 to every order from Midway or Brownell's. It is starting to add up.

I'm just wondering how long the greasy ammo lasts in storage. Yes, I'm talking about the lube. I'm not worried about 5 year old CCI SV that has a dry lube.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Szumi wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:00 am
I'm just wondering how long the greasy ammo lasts in storage. Yes, I'm talking about the lube. I'm not worried about 5 year old CCI SV that has a dry lube.
I had not thought about that. We will find out.

Jerry, I know what you mean about no shipping charges on ammo picked up at Raton. Last year I picked up 2 cases. This year the same individual was at The Whittington Center for a different match this spring. I arranged for her to bring out three additional cases and some micellanous Eley and RWS ammo so I could test is out in my prone rifle.

As long as I give her enough advance notice she has been wonderful at delivering ammo to The Whittington Center when she comes to it for other reasons.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Another Dang 9 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:56 pm Remington .22 ammo is crap. So is most for the Winchester .22 ammo. I have more miss fires with both those brands. I've used Federal for two decades without more than a few miss fires. Eley and SK are out of my price range at my current skill level.
As bulk ammo goes CCI and Federal stuff has worked well for me when I still had my CZ. My Anschutz 1712 just does not like it.

Trust me when I say I wish I could shoot CCI SV ammo. Much easier to get here and less expensive.

Like you I have never had any real success with Remington ammo.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I think if you keep your 22 ammo out of the heat you can store it for a long time. Back when wolf was $100 a case at my door I had 5 cases in my basement for about 5 years.