$20,000 Worth of Prizes added at Raton

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
jimkidwell
A Poster
A Poster

Re: $20,000 Worth of Prizes added at Raton

Post by jimkidwell »

Taps,
When I announced we would have another SE Regional this year, I also stated I was not going to ask my loyal sponsors for donations. They have gone overboard in past years and needed a break. I was a little hesitant about this, but I have received no complaints and we are almost filled up. Many have stated they appreciated the prizes in the past, but would still attend. As a matter of fact, your absence will be noticed. :wink: We will have entries from Canada,Idaho, Montana, Texas, New Jersey, Virginia,Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and the Southern states. Of course, we will have awards for all winners.
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Doesn’t matter much about the prizes, it does matter about a well run match on a decent range
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

What kind of personal donation would it take to turn a small monthly match into a new Southern Nationals? I kind of doubt $20,000 would do it.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

A Southern National event will never happen again as far as the prize tables. It was a combination of promoter personalities and Louisiana politics. A small example of the dynamics was the LA state legislature voted to send tax payer money to the match. David can correct me if I am wrong. What are the chances of you convincing your own state legislature to budget money for a rifle match in this political climate? The Winnsboro bunch were masters at promoting the match before the internet age. Promotional materials were mailed out and they travelled to the SHOT show to work the vendors for prizes. The sheriff provided prison labor to maintain the range during match days. Most years Finley and 2row painted the rails and firing points. Budweiser brought a massive beer buggy and probably also donated money for prizes since their name was on the front cover of the programs. Who has all the connections, money and time to put that together nowadays? The match was held the wrong time of year. It is just too hot there in summer and I live 2 hours away. Silhouette is over at WGC. None of the members or citizens living in Winnsboro actually shoot Silhouette. They shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge quick draw matches there now.
(Edit: I asked who has the connections, money and time to put that together nowadays? Somebody obviously does for Trap tournaments but not silhouette??)
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

SqHunter wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:25 am What kind of personal donation would it take to turn a small monthly match into a new Southern Nationals? I kind of doubt $20,000 would do it.
I can't say for sure but at the CBC match this past April they probably gave out $10,000 worth of door prizes (not counting the awards). The door prizes at the smallbore nationals in Ridgway weren't bad either.

I'm sad that I missed the heyday of Winnsboro but I'm happy for any little prize I might get.

:-bd
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Another factor with Winnsboro, Ridgeway, Raton and perhaps CBC(never been to CBC) is total control of the whole facility by the match director and the fact that everything at a facility is shut down but the silhouette match. This means no quick draw pistol, 2 gun, 3 gun matches in progress on a range just a few feet from the Silhouette range. This means no club members on another range but as close as they can get to the silhouette match plinking at dirt 20 yards a way with a semi-automatic centerfire cannon with 5 gallon bags full of gun show reloads. (Raton does not have these problems because of the long distances between ranges.)
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

I'm in it for the food. Louisiana puts on the best matches followed by anywhere in Mexico. Blue corn chips are a bonus.

Gordo
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

psteiger wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:59 pm I'm in it for the food. Louisiana puts on the best matches followed by anywhere in Mexico. Blue corn chips are a bonus.

Gordo
There will be salsa and blue corn chips at this weekend’s Colorado SB Silhouette State Match.

I can guarantee it. B-)
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Steiger, you rascal, stop ruining our serious thread.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

But Bobby, I was serious........The way I have been shooting, the only thing I look forward to is lunch. =))

And I was in Colorado the other day. I should have stayed. One day I'll wander up there and shoot that match. I could challenge for B class.
dhatch
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dhatch »

At the next Coop Shoot we plan to have blue corn chips and Hatch salsa. Just saying. :ymapplause:
Proud Member of the C. C. S. A.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Steiger, too many years of driving those buses is messing up your game. Retire. Get back on a normal sleep pattern and you will make a comeback. The highest priority should be spending maximum time with the new grandchild. Jobs and silhouette pale in comparison to grandbabies.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

atomicbrh, I agree with the job part but silhouette!!! :ymcowboy:
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
DJA
B Poster
B Poster

Post by DJA »

I'm with Gordo. If I were retired, I could get really fat.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Today I received a second e-mail notification from Whittington Center touting this Trap shoot.
Two notifications in less than two weeks.
Why does Whittington not put the same effort into promoting the National Silhouette matches?
Why the double standard?