What rear sight for silhouette? Winchester Legacy 94

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

What rear sight for silhouette? Winchester Legacy 94

Post by shootmore »

What rear sight for silhouette? Winchester Legacy 94?
im thinking of the WILLIAMS FP-94/36 with target knobs.

Looks like ill have to drill the receiver to mount it.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Re: What rear sight for silhouette? Winchester Legacy 94

Post by CamP »

Your Legacy should be factory drilled/tapped on top of the receiver.

The Williams FP-94SE is a direct bolt-on that requires no modifications. If you want target knobs, order the FP-94SE-TK

https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-fp-94se/
Last edited by CamP on Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

Here's a new one on Ebay that will save you a few bucks. https://www.ebay.com/c/1818517371
emmettva
B Poster
B Poster

Post by emmettva »

to reach 200m with my soft loads in my Legacy 94 i had to place an old MVA sight base about 3/16" thick that luckily had predrilled holes matching, and underneath that specialty Marbles tang sight's base-- also found that Midwest Gun works sold a factory Winchester pistol grip buttstock with shotgun butt that is far easier on my shoulder than the crescent style butt stock. YMMV
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

emmettva wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:14 pm to reach 200m with my soft loads in my Legacy 94 i had to place an old MVA sight base about 3/16" thick that luckily had predrilled holes matching, and underneath that specialty Marbles tang sight's base-- also found that Midwest Gun works sold a factory Winchester pistol grip buttstock with shotgun butt that is far easier on my shoulder than the crescent style butt stock. YMMV
The 24" round barrel 30-30 Legacys came with that pistol grip shotgun butt. Numrich has them too.

I had the opposite problem with one of my Legacy's rear sight. At the 50 meter line, it shot slightly high with the Williams FP-94se bottomed out. I had to do some clearancing/filing on the sight to get it low enough at 50m. I have a 2nd Legacy that works with no modifications to the Williams FP-94se.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

This might be more of a problem with the height of your front sight also.

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

thanks all!

This one is a Angle Eject. Which is the "SE" Williams designation. Williams was out of stock as were most dealers.

I ordered the Williams Receiver Sight Peep FP - 94 SE TK - Winchester 94 angle eject from Ebay and
the missing mount screws from Williams.

For the front I'll get a Lyman 17A in a height that works best. To be determined after load dev.

Now need to scope it for load dev.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

FWIW I use the iron sights for load development....

Trick is to use a target large enough that you can get a repeatable sight picture on it...

I strive for 2MOA out of everything which I give up 1MOA with the iron sights so...

Don't forget to support the rifle THE SAME WAY you shoot it. My off hand is on the receiver/lever
so even though it makes it a PITB to shoot off the bench I use a stand that only supports the rifle from the receiver... Some rifles don't care, some it makes a huge difference.

Also (this stuff may not be aimed at you specificly but anyone reading the thread) make sure you COL cycles. It's no good to come up with a great load only to find it has cycling problems...

;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Great info thanks! I'll watch that receiver only brace when testing this one.

We shoot F-TR, PRS, SB & HP Silhouette, & service rifle so its ingrained to get as close to a sub MOA group as possible. Not likely with a 30-30 but the scope makes a difference for load dev. especially given my eyesight is not what it used to be.

We bought our first Win 94 30-30 in June, and have been sharing it. Shot about 4 matches so far including the Nationals at Raton.
The load was developed using a scope and the kid (13 years) set 3 National records with it this year at the SW regionals last month,
43/60 scored. Shattering the previous record of 22 for a Sub-Junior. He beat my score of 38 and;
won the A division
and outscored the AA division by a tie and more Turkeys, 13 Turkeys to 9,
also whipped more than half the AAA division.
I figured it was time to get a second rifle. I rekon he deserved to have that first Winchester 94 30-30 as a keepsake of his achievement.

Found a screw on scope mount for $8, Weaver 2-Piece Top Mount Scope Base Winchester 94 Matte
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009235870?pid=748846

Now if the Starline brass would show up today........
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

shootmore wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:02 am Great info thanks! I'll watch that receiver only brace when testing this one.

We shoot F-TR, PRS, SB & HP Silhouette, & service rifle so its ingrained to get as close to a sub MOA group as possible. Not likely with a 30-30 but the scope makes a difference for load dev. especially given my eyesight is not what it used to be.

We bought our first Win 94 30-30 in June, and have been sharing it. Shot about 4 matches so far including the Nationals at Raton.
The load was developed using a scope and the kid (13 years) set 3 National records with it this year at the SW regionals last month,
43/60 scored. Shattering the previous record of 22 for a Sub-Junior. He beat my score of 38 and;
won the A division
and outscored the AA division by a tie and more Turkeys, 13 Turkeys to 9,
also whipped more than half the AAA division.
I figured it was time to get a second rifle. I rekon he deserved to have that first Winchester 94 30-30 as a keepsake of his achievement.

Found a screw on scope mount for $8, Weaver 2-Piece Top Mount Scope Base Winchester 94 Matte
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009235870?pid=748846

Now if the Starline brass would show up today........
Actually... if I could use my 94 for PC I would in a heart beat... it shoots 2 MOA all day long with pretty much anything I put in it. Literally will make a dirty hole at 50, sub 2" group at 100, 4-6" at 200.... Everyone I've had has been a shooter.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
shootmore
A Poster
A Poster

Post by shootmore »

Any modifications I can make to form this Win 94 legacy pistol grip into a more accurate or user friendly match rifle?

I heard of disconnecting the lever safety.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

shootmore wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am Any modifications I can make to form this Win 94 legacy pistol grip into a more accurate or user friendly match rifle?

I heard of disconnecting the lever safety.
Mine had a bad trigger out of the box. Hard, gritty and lots of creep. I installed a lighter Wolfe hammer spring, shortened the rebound arms on the spring guide rod by .030". Then had a trusted gunsmith slick up the sear. Now it's a nice 3lb trigger break with minimal creep.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

shootmore wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 am thanks all!

This one is a Angle Eject. Which is the "SE" Williams designation. Williams was out of stock as were most dealers.

I ordered the Williams Receiver Sight Peep FP - 94 SE TK - Winchester 94 angle eject from Ebay and
the missing mount screws from Williams.

For the front I'll get a Lyman 17A in a height that works best. To be determined after load dev.

Now need to scope it for load dev.
More than likely, you'll need the lyman 17aug, which is the tallest they make at .584".

Since you mentioned this will be your son's gun, I'll assume he has good vision. If you typically shoot white animals, he may benefit from a small bead 17A insert from Lee Shaver. The small Shaver bead is about .020" in diameter and works great on white targets, if you have good eyes.