The individuals who built custom SB Silhouette Rifles

This is what we do.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

The individuals who built custom SB Silhouette Rifles

Post by DavidABQ »

So, I know there has to be some people out there who built custom SB Silhouette rifles and my question it what receivers did you use?
Any trouble finding a Silhouette stock to fit?

How do you like your custom creation?

What would you do differently if you did it again?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: The individuals who built custom SB Silhouette Rifles

Post by Doodaddy »

I used a Stiller 2500X.

I won't pretend that there is a multitude of silhouette specific stocks out there for it, but I didn't struggle finding one. I ended up using a Carrillo stock, but McMillan would probably be the easiest path. If a stock can be purchased as a flat top, you can find someone to inlet and bed the stock to your action which really opens up your options.

I have no complaints which is why I went the "extra" route. I never wanted to wish for anything else. As far as what I would do differently...I would contour the barrel slightly differently to allow a bit more weight forward, because I designed the contour to balance out with the Sightron SII Big Sky Silhouette scope and I've since moved to a Leupold FX3 25x. The Leupold is about ~3oz lighter and shifted my balance point rearward a touch. I could add a couple of ounces of weight under the barrel in the forearm to move the balance forward, but I don't like the idea of relying on adding weight. If I can afford more weight, I want it in my barrel or action so it's adding stiffness instead of being literal dead weight.

I would probably use a different trigger. Not that I'm unhappy with my trigger now, but it took me months to get it the way I wanted. Bix N Andy didn't make a trigger suited for silhouette when I built the rifle so the option wasn't there then. I could change to it now and sell off my Jackson, but since I have it where I want it now, I don't really see a reason to sell the Jackson at a loss and buy the BNA to kind of end up back where I already am, you know?
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I've had 3 custom rifles built:

The first one was put together by Frank Carrillo, using a Sako P-94 repeater action, a Chombard GC Universal trigger and a Lilja barrel.

Another rifle is a Winchester model 52 repeater built by Steve Wooster, using one of his stocks as well as bottom metal made by him.

The other rifle, a Remington 40X, which was originally Wyne Leek's, was also put together by Steve Wooster. Both gentlemen are expert craftsmen.

Shoot straight!
Joaquin B
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

It seems a key part of a custom rifle build is to find a good gunsmith. Thank you.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Not just a good gunsmith but a gunsmith who is continuously building one silhouette rifle after another and who strictly adheres to deadlines. Due to that low maximum weight, it is easy for a gunsmith not versed in silhouette to come out too heavy. It took me 19 years to learn exactly how I want my rifles built and the attributes the builder should possess.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Mark Pharr
tumbleweedsrifles@gmail.com
512-246-7563

Evelio McDonald
eveliomcdonald@gmail.com
713-302-7906

Both are excellent.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

The Wooster builds nice rifles and stocks... just sayin... (even though he is left handed)

=))
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

cedestech wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 am The Wooster builds nice rifles and stocks... just sayin... (even though he is left handed)

=))
Poor guy.

Thank you everyone, there is some good information here.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Watch it! Y'all are treading on thin ice! X(

=))