Popular 30-30 and .357 model rifles?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
jradz3829
B Poster
B Poster

Popular 30-30 and .357 model rifles?

Post by jradz3829 »

I was looking to purchase a 30-30 and .357 rifles. Just wondering what the popular models are so I do not have to buy different rifles later on.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Popular 30-30 and .357 model rifles?

Post by edgehit »

For 30-30 look for 24-26” barrel rifles. They hold better, have more weight and longer sight radius. Stay away from curved steel butt plates because they can be painful or don’t fit. Old Marlin 336A and 336 XLR work. Be sure they have JM stamp, not Remington. Most Commemorative Winchester’s with 26” barrels shoot well. I’m not familiar with Henry’s

I’m not a fan of 357 maybe someone can recommend something.

It’s hard to find accuracy with these rifles. I have literally gone thru 4 rifles in each class to cherry pick hummers. I once asked a seasoned veteran how to find an accurate 22 lever gun. He told me to buy 12, test shoot them all and keep the best.

This journey is part of the fun.
- Joe
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

As for a 30-30 the Winchester Commemoratives shoot and hold very well. You can put a stock cover on them to make the curved but plate more comfortable. The older Marlin 336 with a 24” barrel shoot well also.

As for the 357. If u can find a Marlin Cowboy 24” barrel they are pretty hard to beat. There are also some companies doing remakes of the Winchester 1873 with a 24” barrel these also shoot very well.
Mike Haynes
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

The Rossi 357 is again available and is being imported (Buds Gun) One of our members just got one in SS and it's really nice. I'm shooting a Rossi 357 that I purchased from 44mag awhile back and it's a good shooter.
ppkny
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I don't have as much experience as most of the folks on here.

I have shot a 26" octagon Winchester commemorative a couple years. Many top shooters use these. For me, it is too muzzle-heavy and difficult to aim at turkey and ram banks that are elevated up on a sidehill above the firing line. I can do it but I don't like it. So I am going to try a 24" Marlin 336A.
The winchester shoots well and the weight dampens recoil. 26" barrel requires a little less powder to get the same velocity. (44mag would say it gets even more speed out of a max load) The 12" twist barrel reduces options for slow heavy bullets if that is of interest. Mine shoots 198 grain cast at 1800 fps just fine but I have to go down to a 155-grainer to get round holes in the target below 1600 fps.

I have a Henry .357 steel receiver (case hardened) octagon barrel. I like it. Barrel is only 20" and the trigger is a pain to work on but I like the balance and it shoots pretty well with jacketed or cast bullets. The stock shape of the steel receiver Henrys fits me better than the stock on the brass models.

The Marlin CB cowboy models are highly prized and you will see that used ones are highly priced. I'm sure they are excellent rifles.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ojaileveraction »

A longer Site Radius makes for finer sight adjustments.
The older Marlin 336As deliver that and a shorter mag tube. Pre 1956 they will have Ballard 12 twist
There are also the XLRs basically and all weather 336A and they have Ballard rifled 12 twist not micro-grove.
Tim
Guns, They're not really yours, until you void the warranty.
CamP
A Poster
A Poster

Post by CamP »

PAndy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:26 am I don't have as much experience as most of the folks on here.

I have shot a 26" octagon Winchester commemorative a couple years. Many top shooters use these. For me, it is too muzzle-heavy and difficult to aim at turkey and ram banks that are elevated up on a sidehill above the firing line. I can do it but I don't like it.
I have a 94 Classic with a 26" octagon barrel that shoots sub moa at 200m, but I also have a difficult time steadying the heavy barrel.

I found the sweet spot for me with a 24" round barrel 94 Legacy. It needed trigger work, but that was easy to fix. A bonus with the Legacy is a pistol grip, which I prefer.
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Just wanted to say good luck with the "not have to buy different rifles later on" part.
Tim
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I have the Winchester 1894-1994 Commemorative model with the 26" half round half octagonal barrel. It's much lighter than a full octagonal barrel. If you shoot the 170gr. bullets at rams it can be a bit too much recoil. Especially with the Crescent buttplate. I've gotten used to it. They pop up used from time to time. They will set you back about $1000.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
jradz3829
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jradz3829 »

Thanks to everyone for all of your input.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 pm

It’s hard to find accuracy with these rifles. I have literally gone thru 4 rifles in each class to cherry pick hummers. I once asked a seasoned veteran how to find an accurate 22 lever gun. He told me to buy 12, test shoot them all and keep the best.
That.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Then there’s the side slinger (Marlin) vs top flinger (Winchester) debate. I’ve competed with both.

Marlin is easiest to mount a scope and test ammo. Only the late “angle eject” top flingers allow that. And for cleaning, the Marlin is again easier to run the rod from the chamber end of business. Not saying the Winchester is inferior, but you have to admit Marlin is more convenient.

Negative to Marlin is the 2-piece firing pin. Sure it’s safer, and innovative for it’s time as it prevented firing when the lever wasn’t fully locked. But too many competitors like myself have dealt with misfires. The cure is a replacement 1-piece pin that isn’t very good. They’re made of soft stainless steel and they bend. I straighten mine out ever so often. The trigger lockout can be another “WTF?” moment in a match if it’s timing is out of whack. Been there too. It’s the little button mashed by the finger lever. If it’s not depressed there’s no trigger movement. Also had to correct excessive head space on a Marlin by fitting a new bolt block. Hated the way primers pooched after firing.

Overall, the Winchester is a higher quality rifle. Malin’s were mass produced to a price point, have more safety features and get the job done.

These guns were never meant for high volume target shooting. But they’re fun
- Joe
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 pm

These guns were never meant for high volume target shooting. But they’re fun
And that is why they are fun... :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Ojaileveraction
A Poster
A Poster

Henry really made a play for Rimfire and PC Silhouette shooters with their 24" Frontier modles.
They never did the same with their center fire rifles.
Tim
IHMSA53393
B Poster
B Poster

Post by IHMSA53393 »

Ojaileveraction wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:08 pm Henry really made a play for Rimfire and PC Silhouette shooters with their 24" Frontier modles.
They never did the same with their center fire rifles.
How about a Henry, 24" Octagon barrel in .357 Maximum. I've been sending a suggestion on the Henry website for two years for one. Could use the same rifle for PC and LR.