Book vs. Electronic Score keeping

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Book vs. Electronic Score keeping

Post by Snake »

I'm all for progress. But this excursion into the ozone by the NRA is simply dumb. So instead of presenting your score book with your previously posted scores you now tender a little card that says what class you are in for that discipline, show the match director your competitor number or NRA number and hope he or she sends the scores in correctly and that they are recorded correctly by the NRA. The real-time record-the- scores link for match directors has not been completed. Nevertheless you pay $15 annually to have this score keeping service. Will someone explain to me why this is better than the score books, and better for whom? If the NRA was truly interested in this electronic conversion, the match director portal would have been up and running immediately. There are match directors out there who simply won't or can't put together the score reporting sheets, there's under staffing at the NRA, and a general malaise toward silhouette scores, classes etc(all of which has been exacerbated by this leap to the electronic world.) Moreover I, as a competitor am entitled to know if a) a tournament is sanctioned b) that my scores are being recorded and recorded correctly and recorded in a timely manner. If the 'portal' was up and running access could be give to competitors to view their scores from every match...no middle man such as a lazy or bumbling or rebellious match director who won't or can't make the mechanical transfer of scores to documents to be sent to the NRA to then be re converted to electronic entries.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Book vs. Electronic Score keeping

Post by atomicbrh »

IDPA, Steel Challenge, USPSA and probably many others enter shot strings live time within seconds for everyone to view on their phones not just end of day scores and the scoring is much more complex than silhouette scoring. Multiple courses of fire. Multiple target types during the same course of fire. Multiple ranges. Amount of time it took to shoot multiple courses of fire factored into those scores. That is all done without a firing line cover to protect shooters from the elements. Those organizations have been live time posting scores for many years. Even elementary school age tennis tournaments have posted scores live time for decades.
Snake
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Snake »

Exactly. Anyone know who is supposed to be designing and building the silhouette electronic interface? I'd bet it isn't anyone familiar with silhouette scoring and matches
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

When you think about it, the scorecards and yellow scoreboard are obsolete. Scoring the X and 0 can be done on an app on phones. This data can then feed into a virtual scoreboard display that could also be accessed on phones. It would be nice after a match to get a notice on your phone that says: "shootoff for 3rd place AAA Smallbore Hunter Rifle, Turkey line, firing point 2, at 5:15 PM" instead of having to listen for a PA system announcement that is easily missed.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

Has anyone used Practiscore or tried to? I know some of the other shooting displines use it, but I have never used it.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The only trouble with using phones on the firing lines is the potential for disturbing other people that are in the active process of shooting with audio cues or high volume vibrations. If everybody just looked at their phones for video cues, it would work.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

As well as shooting Silhouette, I am a USPSA match director and user of Practiscore. It works great. Scores can be recorded on tablets, I Pads, cell phones and nooks to name a few. At the end of the match, the scores are then synced up with a master tablet or laptop. Practiscore does all the rest. Calculates final results, rankings by firearm type etc. Results are uploaded/posted to Practiscore/online within 30 minutes of the last shot fired.
They rely on donations from clubs, individuals and a few sponsors to keep it all running. There is no cost to the club if you don't want to pay them. But, they will accept donations of any amount.
If we were to approach them, and throw a few bucks their way, they just might entertain the idea of Silhouette scoring. They did one for archery tournaments.......... so hey.............let's give it a try.
Under the current circumstances, (ie bankruptcy) the NRA isn't going to be of any help.
I know many match directors hated the books, but IMHO, they were still better than this so called "electronic system" that the NRA came up with. I think it's more work for the match directors now that it was before with the books.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Miss them books.... sigh....

Where is Jason?
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Deleted