Sold - Steve Wooster Built Anschutz 1712

Want to buy or want to sell.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Sold - Steve Wooster Built Anschutz 1712

Post by TheBugFather »

Sold Locally, thanks for looking - Dennis

Guys I'm sell my Steve Wooster built Anschutz 1712 with a Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x40mm EFR with the 3/8 moa Leupold dot. It might be larger dot not sure, It's the popular one, that is what I know and asked for.

Anyway, long story short, just trying to raise funds to help around the home and I really can't shoot to the abilities of the rifle and scope combination.

It has a beautiful 2 stage trigger, not sure of the proper Anschutz model type, about 1.5 lbs take-up then breaks at a hair over 2 lbs. About the best trigger I have ever felt. People keep complaining that I touch their triggers too much, without asking.

My friend Tony has shot it in a few matches and really likes the rifle.

Includes 2 brand new factory Anschutz Magazines and 2 older Savage/Anschutz converted magazines.

I took the below photos on my phone, it's not like I don't own a real camera but just trying to give you an idea of the rifle.

I really should have at least dusted it off. I will supply better pictures in the future, just trying to gauge if any one is even interested.

I also have a new factory extractor and ejector that I'd like to install before selling. It has a sometimes lazy ejection, but my friend Tony tells me that it is me that has a lazy ejection and not the rifle. Anyways, I think this will help.

I'm trying to sell it as a combo for $3000 or sans scope for $2300 plus shipping, what do you guys think?

Let me know, I could use the help and advice. In any case I will need to sell the scope plus another one I have new in the box of the same model.

Thanks, Dennis Ostler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TheBugFather on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Selling Steve Wooster Built Anschutz 1712

Post by TheBugFather »

A few more crappy photos, sorry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bug Father
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

dwostler wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:27 pm I'm trying to sell it as a combo for $3000 or sans scope for $2300 plus shipping, what do you guys think?

Let me know, I could use the help and advice.
Honest opinion here, but I think your asking price may be a bit ambitious. With today's current economic climate there aren't many people looking to spend $3,000 on a non-essential, but you never know.

Also, I see the same Leupold scopes going for $500-600 on a fairly regular basis, but asking $700 will be a challenge.

I wish you the best of luck with the sale and I'm sorry you've found yourself in a situation where you have decided to sell off this rifle, but your heart seems to be in the right place. Best of wishes in the coming new year.

:ymcowboy:
Allen Corneau
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I feel that Allen's assessment is accurate.
That is a good, honest thing Dennis did describing the extraction.
Most people are not that honest.
Many times it is not the extractors causing the problem but how the slots were cut and how accurately the slots line up with the extractors. Not a biggy for a competent rifle builder to pull the barrel and fix that.
It must be taken into account that new barreled action prices have increased significantly.
Last edited by atomicbrh on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I know that is what I have into the 1712 that Steve built for me last year. Someone wanting one, buying a barreled action or complete rifle, shipping it to Steve, having him build it and send it back you'll be within a couple hundred either way. Scope price is what the market will bear, it's not like Leupold is making them anymore or the custom shop is even open....

I have people ask me what their car is worth all the time, my standard reply is what the someone is willing to pay and not one penny more.

:)

Take some pictures with an accurate depiction of the measurement from the buttpad to grip front and grip front to middle of trigger guard hole... that has the 2 stage so the shoe placement has a range of about half an inch within the guard. That is the major benifit to having a stock made as opposed to buying one premade.

GLWS, it's a nice package.

Emmett
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

atomicbrh wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:53 am I feel that Allen's assessment is accurate.
That is a good, honest thing Dennis did describing the extraction.
Most people are not that honest.
Many times it is not the extractors causing the problem but how the slots were cut and how accurately the slots line up with the extractors. Not a biggy for a competent rifle builder to pull the barrel and fix that.
It must be taken into account that new barreled action prices have increased significantly.
Thank guys for your advice, I will install and test for ejection. When Tony used it, it wasn't a problem. He said my problem was I keep looking at the ejection port to see of the case falls out after it fires. He said I just need to work the bolt, that this problem is very common on 1712's.

I probably should have been more clear, the rifle has no extraction problems, they all come out fine. But every once in a while a spent case would just lay in the ejection port after it extracts, so you have to flick it out. So no problem with extraction whatsoever. It does it 100% of the time. Just the occasional lazy ejection of the spent case. Tony says that I just don't work the bolt correctly and I keep tilting the ejection port towards me to see if it does it, I read about this and the fix for one guy was to change to new extractors and spring clip, which I bought from Anschutz directly.

That is the "i" model of the scope, that latest or last version of the scope. Does anyone know what size custom Leupold dot I have? It is the larger size dot that silhouette shooters like. What should I charge for the one that is still new in the box?

Thanks again, Dennis O.
The Bug Father
SqHunter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by SqHunter »

What is the length of pull, and what is the weight as shown? Also, is that a factory barrel? Was it recrowned or rechambered?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

It was used at state matches, so it makes weight as shown for hunter class.
Factory barrel as far as I can tell.

I will measure both later today.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Weight with caps and one empty magazine: 133 oz or 8.32 lbs

Length of pull 14” to center of trigger, with about 1/2” forward and back adjustment available.

Distance from butt stock to grip is 11 1/8”

Trigger pull as measured with Lyman digital:

First stage 1lb 6oz
Second stage breaks at 2lbs 4oz.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

All of this talk should have been done in PMs not in his WTS ad
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

thauglor wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:49 pm All of this talk should have been done in PMs not in his WTS ad

I'm trying to sell it as a combo for $3000 or sans scope for $2300 plus shipping, what do you guys think?

Dennis asked a question and there hasn't been traffic here forever.... :ymhug:
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
MOTO VITA
A Poster
A Poster

Post by MOTO VITA »

dwostler wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:57 am That is the "i" model of the scope, that latest or last version of the scope. Does anyone know what size custom Leupold dot I have? It is the larger size dot that silhouette shooters like. What should I charge for the one that is still new in the box?

Thanks again, Dennis O.
I would think the reticle would be specified on either the box label or on a build sheet that might be in the box.
Large Silhouette Dot might be the best description, assuming it has the tapered crosshairs, I've also heard it called a 1/2" or half minute dot but that may not be accurate in your scope.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

It looks like I have potential buyers for the scopes, So I might separate the scope from the rifle.

I will check the box, to see if it lists the dot size, will look for the paper work from Leupold later today.

The one new in the box has sold locally pending funds to a club member for $850, I will let you guys know if that falls through or not.

I guess I should list the rifle for $2,300 sans scope, or more if you guys think I can get that?

The used scope would be the original price I said of $700, first dibs to the PM I already received.

Everything plus shipping.
cedestech wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:11 am Scope price is what the market will bear, it's not like Leupold is making them anymore or the custom shop is even open....
I didn't think about that before I listed these item's. I know that this isn't the best of times, obviously since I'm trying to help that situation for my family by selling. But these things aren't available anymore, so some things might actualy be more desirable now than before.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone!

Dennis Ostler

Ps. I have some reloading supplies and maybe a few more rifles and scopes very soon.
Not getting out of shooting, but cutting back and trying to strike a balance with my desires and reality.
The Bug Father
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

You know, I said what I said, $700 for the mounted scope and $2300 for the rifle.

No need to compromise my words, no matter the circumstances, with should haves.

I will post better pictures or links to better pictures soon and get the specs on the scope correctly.

Is this enough information on the dimensions?

Weight with scope caps and one empty magazine inserted: 133 oz or 8.32 lbs
Length of pull 14” to center of trigger, with about 1/2” forward and back adjustment available.
Distance from butt stock to grip is 11 1/8”
Trigger pull as measured with Lyman digital: First stage 1lb 6oz, Second stage breaks at 2lbs 4oz.
Barrel looks to be factory original Anschutz 1712 as marked.

I don't know which model of trigger that is, two stage and very clean break.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

I will start a formal Ad when I have all my facts straight and good photos.

Thanks everyone for the advise and for looking.

Dennis O.
The Bug Father