Experimenting with a Yong Heng 4500 PSI compressor.

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Experimenting with a Yong Heng 4500 PSI compressor.

Post by Dee »

I just got a one of those Yong Heng HPA 4500 PSI mini compressors. I only intend to use it for fill the rifle air tubes themselves so the run time will be just a minute or two each time to top off the cylinders. I see guys using them to top off full sized portable tanks as well but the run times to get that volume to that pressure is done in 30 minute or so intervals to allow cooling etc. Hoping my just filling for a minute here and there will make this puppy last for a good while.

Anyone else using one of these for your PCP rifles? When I was in La. we had a local with a badass Bauer compressor to fill our 4500 tanks 88cf but I have since moved to the mountains and fill options are a bit limited around here, thus hoping this little baby can fill the bill. Even if it lasts 3 years or so it would have cost me twice as much to get another 4500 tank and the hassle expense to fill would cost me more.

I'll report my findings using it after I get some use on it. Hopefully fire it up for the 1st time this weekend. Fill my Anschutz 8002 and get 200+ shots per fill at 200 BAR and then my Walther Hunter LG at 300 BAR for around 80 shots per fill.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Experimenting with a Yong Heng 4500 PSI compressor.

Post by Dee »

Okay, after much delay in shipping of fill adapters and foster connections I have finally been able to use this compressor!

So far I must say I am impressed with the little pump. I have filled my 4500 PSI Walther Hunter cylinder but only pushed it to around 4000 PSI so far as I want to slowly work my way up to the full 4500 (others I have read are having issues with the burst disc built into the compressor letting go around 4200 PSI, it came with a few replacements but I am happy getting it to 4000 for now).

Also filled my 200 BAR Anschutz cylinder and took it all the way up to completely full. Took all of 3 minutes to fill from completely empty. Should take 2 or less to top off! At this rate of run time per fill for the amount of fills I will make I am thinking this little compressor should last awhile. Not sure I would use it to fill full size bottles 88 CF etc all the time and expect it to last as long before needing a rebuild. It does comes with all the replacement o-rings needed for a minor rebuild and the other parts are said to be available if needed.

All in all for less than $300 all in I am happy for now. No more having to find a place to fill to 4500 PSI, taking it there, picking it up, paying for the service. It is also small enough to take on the road as long as you have an outlet to use.

Will post more as time passes using it. For now I am just :ymparty: being able to shoot my two favorite PCP rifles. Now to get my dogs to adjust to me shooting inside :lol: And to try and get some of my previous hold back after over 4 years away totally from shooting which is obvious when I look through the scope :shock:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Thanks for the review! I'm thinking about getting into a PCP system, and I really like the idea of a portable compressor to fill the rifle directly. My concern would be whether a compact pump like this one has the filtering and air dryer that you would want. Does your pump have a way to collect and dump water that would have accumulated in the pressure line?
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

That sounds like a great idea for a fill system - if you find yourself in the rare situation of needing a fill at a match at a range that has no electricity, just get some air from someone that has a tank.

Get with Bonner - he just bought a PCP and has been shooting the heck out of airguns during the pandemic - you guys get an air rifle silhouette program started in CO! It's time to spread the air rifle silhouette game all over the world...

Dustin
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The problem with most of the cheap pumps is the compressor oil that winds up in your air. Compressor oil is not good for your air gun mechanism. Also, significant quantities of oil in the compressed air is the reason the manufacturers have that warning that the air is not breathable. There are many articles out there discussing the properties of compressor oil and PAG oil. Compressor oil is hygroscopic on the molecular level. The thin film of oil from the compressed air will attract moisture and result in corrosion of expensive parts. It is best to use breathable air because it is the driest air.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Is it worthwhile to set up an air filter / dryer on a small compressor? Or would those parts be bigger and more expensive than the compressor in the first place?
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

atomicbrh wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:52 am The problem with most of the cheap pumps is the compressor oil that winds up in your air. Compressor oil is not good for your air gun mechanism. Also, significant quantities of oil in the compressed air is the reason the manufacturers have that warning that the air is not breathable. There are many articles out there discussing the properties of compressor oil and PAG oil. Compressor oil is hygroscopic on the molecular level. The thin film of oil from the compressed air will attract moisture and result in corrosion of expensive parts. It is best to use breathable air because it is the driest air.
Any thoughts about the new Umarex compressor that's coming out soon?
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Umarex_R ... essor/9732
It claims to be an oil-free compressor - do you think this would be any healthier for a PCP rifle to ingest? It wouldn't be dry air, but at least no oil.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I think it’s best to feed a high end airgun dry air. Good dry air will most dependably come from a scuba tank filled by a dive shop. If this is available to you it’s the way to go no question in my mind.

It seems that the dive shops here are dead now though so I’m giving thought to a compressor. I hope someone will chime in with a review of the umarex compressor. I’m skeptical of any chicom compressor and the less money i can send them the better.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

If buying new, a Bauer Junior is the lowest cost, quality compressor out there.
Pdeal, a man with your skills should be able to pick up a very expensive higher grade compressor for pennies on the dollar that the seller cannot afford to repair. I know two people who have done that. One is Zasadny and the other is the lady that owns our local scuba shop. Our scuba lady is a stickler for clean, dry air.
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Heavybarrell »

Years ago when I shot Air Rifle Silhouette, I would take my scuba tank to the local Fire House for filling. The compressor system for their Scott Air packs seemed to work great and never had any issues. I figured if it the air was of breathing quality, it was good enough for my air rifle. It beat driving 30 miles to the scuba shop and I always gave a couple bucks donation.

Butch