6mm ARC

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

6mm ARC

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Anyone familiar with this new clambering. It looks interesting but have yet to see any crono data on it.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 6mm ARC

Post by Merlin »

Look at a 6 BR, subtract >100 fps and call it an 6 ARC ballistics wise... Just a way to get a high BC 6mm bullet into an .223 based AR 15 platform.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.... :D
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

More like a 6PPC :D

I found it today and read about it for a bit. +1 to all that Merlin has said. Should be better than a 6mm-223 but it is also an odd bolt face being the 220 Russian case head. So bolt actions will be slow to adopt it; right now I only see a Howa, CZ and a Ruger in 7.62x39 or Grendel bolt faces.

Hard to beat a 6BR for pure accuracy but this one might as it's close to the 6ppc.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

The odd bolt face is the biggest challenge for a bolt action if you don't want to go the custom action route or try to find a Remington 700 ppc bolt. If you use one of the factory rifles listed (CZ, Ruger, Howa), you would still need a rebarrel until they offer it as a standard caliber. At least Bell and Carlson make a decent after market stock for the Howa. So, you could do a grendel

I think that the 6ppc would be marginal at best depending on how rams are set. But, if you play the game right and hit 25% more or whatever of the first 3 animals, you'd probably be ok depending on how the rams were set. I suspect you'd ring most of them.

I've been shooting a 6.5 grendel in hunting rifle for a year. With 130 bergers at the rams, I've probably been 75% of the ones that I've hit. Ringing 25% of them. I'm pretty sure that Mark used a standard reamer on chamber, so I can't set the bullets too much longer...but I'm not limited to the AR mag length either so they can be a little longer. The short line is no issue, but I also think that if you load down another 6.5 short action caliber, you'd do about the same.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I kind of figured this was just another wiz bang new cartridge that won't work for this sport. I'm still shooting my .260 Rem and don't plan on changing it any time soon. I've invested to much in that one to change now. I do like the 6mm caliber (it may even be the most ideal caliber ballisticly speaking) but it's just to little for this game.
NRA Endowment Member
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

According to Hornady’s press release, the 6 ARC was created for an undisclosed DOD entity. (cough! SOCOM)

It was designed to fit the M16/M4 platform magazine. Published velocity out of a 24” barrel is 2,750 fps with a 108gr bullet. So far, the various youtubers have not duplicated that velocity although most are testing shorter barrels. The published SAAMI specs include a max average working pressure of 52k psi due to the limitations of the AR bolt. Obviously, higher pressures would be safely attainable in a bolt gun.

As stated above, it is not capable of achieving the velocity of a 6mm BR or 6mm Dasher and really has no particular application for high power silhouette. It may become popular with the AR community if the DOD entity reports favorable results in the field.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

jbmarshtx wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:37 am I've been shooting a 6.5 grendel in hunting rifle for a year. With 130 bergers at the rams, I've probably been 75% of the ones that I've hit. Ringing 25% of them. I'm pretty sure that Mark used a standard reamer on chamber, so I can't set the bullets too much longer...but I'm not limited to the AR mag length either so they can be a little longer.
My reamer was designed for the longer bullet seating, you can get your gunsmith to throat your chamber and be able to seat a little more out.

I can send you a 100 of the 130 Norma's if you want to give them a try. send me a PM if you would like some.

Thanks, Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

I shot the Norma 130s a number of years ago in a 6.5-08. They are an excellent bullet. I had some sectioned and the jacket tapers to a greater thickness at the base which I believe helps transfer energy to the ram.

Rick
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

It is basically a commercialized 6ppc. I wanted a 6ppc when I was building my HP rifle, but with the odd bolt face and required brass turning, I went with the 6br. Now I just need to go and shoot more.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

another Dang 9, Question,
Any chance you'd share some of your loads for your 260. I've had some success with 123gr and 140gr Sierra HPBT using both Varget and 4831SC
140gr / 36.5 gr Varget
140gr / 43.5 gr 4831SC
123gr / 37.5 gr Varget
123gr / 44.5gr 4831SC
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ppkny
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Hi Pete.
I've been using load data from the Sierra load book for almost all my data these days. Varget is the go to powder for almost every cartridge we have in silhouette. 4831SC is good as well.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I recently moved and all my loading books and basically my whole loading room is in storage until I build a new one.
NRA Endowment Member
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

I’ll suggest H4350 for heavier bullet/ram loads in the .260 REM. I never really tried 4831SC as I think you’ll have difficulty getting enough in the case. In terms of going through a powder measure, H4350 is a SC powder, although not labeled as such. It goes through a powder measure reasonably well for an extruded powder, but I would still suggest weighing/trickle charging to the desired charge both for consistency and because you will probably be loading close to max with it.

I was able to achieve 2,800 FPS with 139gr Lapua Scenars. If you are shooting 142gr Sierra MKs it is recommended that you keep velocity under 2,750 FPS.

I recently spoke with one of the powder reps and he suggested taking a look at WW Staball 6.5 which is a ball powder of the approximate burning rate of 4350. He did suggest large primer brass for loads with it in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

It is said to be temperature stable and incorporate anti-copper fouling chemistry. It should flow through powder measures very well. I intend to try some if I ever find any.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

Reloder 16 is another good stable powder in the 4350 burn range. Extruded. Worth a try if you happen to see it available.