Hunter stock... legal or not?

This is what we do.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Hunter stock... legal or not?

Post by acorneau »

Howdy folks,

In your opinion, would the shape and dimensions of the wrist of this stock qualify for hunter rifle, assuming everything this else is to spec?

I know the rules say "A hunting style stock" but a Pharr-style stock isn't exactly a real traditional design and it's considered kosher.

What say you? If you were on your state championship's jury and someone was protesting a shooter with this stock design, would you agree or disagree?

Allen Corneau
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Hunter stock... legal or not?

Post by thauglor »

I don't see how that is not a hunter style grip.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

I've heard people say this or that stock doesn't have a hunter class legal grip, but outside of thumbhole I haven't seen any excluding text in the rules regarding grip. I'd let it slide if it were me.

That cheekpiece wouldn't fly, but that's not your question lol.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

My vote would be the grip is legal. Cheek piece not legal because of Rule 3.15, page 10 under the equipment section. "Adjustable cheek pieces must be fixed and sealed in place". This rule is for both Hunter and Heavy rifle. Also rule 3.1 (d) "the comb shall not extend above the centerline of the bore, but the Monte Carlo roll may rise 1/2 inch on the off side." Rule 3.1 (d) is not mentioned for Hunter rifle, but it would not make sense to build a hunter stock that could not be used in heavy rifle.
Again, in a perfect world, there would be an exact equipment list in the rule book listing out all the legal equipment.

One rule I would like to see is mandatory curved trigger blades on the Hunter rifle even if it is only a barely perceptible curve. The trigger index button like in your photo is going too far for Hunter rifle.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

atomicbrh wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:26 am My vote would be the grip is legal. Cheek piece not legal because of Rule 3.15, page 10 under the equipment section. "Adjustable cheek pieces must be fixed and sealed in place". This rule is for both Hunter and Heavy rifle. Also rule 3.1 (d) "the comb shall not extend above the centerline of the bore, but the Monte Carlo roll may rise 1/2 inch on the off side." Rule 3.1 (d) is not mentioned for Hunter rifle, but it would not make sense to build a hunter stock that could not be used in heavy rifle.
Again, in a perfect world, there would be an exact equipment list in the rule book listing out all the legal equipment.

One rule I would like to see is mandatory curved trigger blades on the Hunter rifle even if it is only a barely perceptible curve. The trigger index button like in your photo is going too far for Hunter rifle.
That rule does allow an adjustable cheek piece, it just cannot be moved during the match nor above the centerline of the bore. Have the match director put a piece of tape with his initials over the adjustment screw on the cheek piece and there, it is now sealed.

Not to take this off topic, but you are even allowing for a barely perceptible curve in the trigger, so then what is the point of that rule?
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

Would an adjustable cheekpiece not fall under 3.1.1.c as an attachment?
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

3.15 clearly spells out cheek pieces, so it is not an attachment. It is also considered part of a stock since without it, it is hardly useful as a rifle.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Zoran, have you ever observed a adjustable index button on the trigger blade of the typical 22 rimfire Gray squirrel rifle? That was my thinking on the index button. I am thinking it goes a little too far toward the Olympic world and a little too far away from a hunting rifle world.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

thauglor wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:32 pm 3.15 clearly spells out cheek pieces, so it is not an attachment. It is also considered part of a stock since without it, it is hardly useful as a rifle.
I always forget to check the lower bullet points. :roll:
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

On 3.15, people have a wide variety of definitions of the term, "sealed".
To some sealed means a piece of tape that can be removed and replaced when no one is looking at least until the stickiness is worn out.
To others it means attached with screws and epoxied into place.
To others it means a velcroed or laced leather or fabric wrap around.
Too much in the rules left to interpretation.
It would be nice to just buy a stock 1907, put a scope on it and compete with it.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

atomicbrh wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:54 am Zoran, have you ever observed a adjustable index button on the trigger blade of the typical 22 rimfire Gray squirrel rifle? That was my thinking on the index button. I am thinking it goes a little too far toward the Olympic world and a little too far away from a hunting rifle world.

I have not but I have not paid much attention to what squirrel hunters use. I don't see how the trigger shape will let anyone hit extra targets except to provide comfort. Some people want curved some people want straight (hence the options in the picture below). All are 2.0 lbs minimum for hunter class.
atomicbrh wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:54 am It would be nice to just buy a stock 1907, put a scope on it and compete with it.
Standard class used to be pretty open on rules from what I have seen looking back, way before I got into the game. I wouldn't mind standard being unlimited again. More rules were added and more people left.

At the recent HP silhouette match we had, I used a gun that was way too heavy and had a big palm rest, I shot out of competition but didn't care. Still lost to the match winner and couple of other shooters.

atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I am not saying this theory is true but some people have the theory that the button allows more repeatable and exact positioning of the distal pad of the trigger finger which results in more repeatable positioning of the whole hand on the grip which results in more repeatable, consistent, effectual trigger weight. Not my theory.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

The question may be nothing more than an exercise. That stock is on an Air Arms air rifle, probably an HFT. There is no hunter class in air rifle. Classes for AR are open, sporter, and target. That rifle could only be shot in Open Class.
Most places won't challenge your equipment anyway( unless it's really outrageous) because they are so glad to have you shooting.
Rick
Richard
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:38 am The question may be nothing more than an exercise. That stock is on an Air Arms air rifle, probably an HFT. There is no hunter class in air rifle. Classes for AR are open, sporter, and target. That rifle could only be shot in Open Class.
Most places won't challenge your equipment anyway( unless it's really outrageous) because they are so glad to have you shooting.
Rick
Yes, I know all these things and I own an HFT 500 as my Open rifle for air rifle silhouette. The reason I'm asking is because this is the only rifle/stock that has a wrist/grip that fits me perfectly and I'm considering having a custom stock made so I can get that same wrist/grip for my smallbore rifle.

:-B
Allen Corneau
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kujones »

In that case I think that it's legal