Accuracy

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Canon82
B Poster
B Poster

Accuracy

Post by Canon82 »

Question for everyone what do you consider good accuracy at 100 yards from your lever action .22 and pistol cartridge guns ?
Thanks Scott
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: Accuracy

Post by cedestech »

Practical with iron sights off a bench, 2-3". If I can't get better then 2ish out of it then I don't use it. YMMV and PC rifles are the hardest... that is why a lot of people like 22mag for PC.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Under 2” is my minimum with peep sights. Both of my 22 and PC rifles shoot around 1” but it takes a lot of rifle and ammo tuning under perfect conditions to get meaningful groups. Take the time and run exterior ballistics on these crappy BC bullets and you’ll see the slightest puff of wind moves these bullets off course considerably at 100 meters. This means a lot if you’re testing with light winds. Because you can shoot some of the weirdest groups with odd patterns like diagonal stringing or a group of 5 shots that appears as 2 tight groups.
- Joe
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I think this is a little misleading. I don't know if the inquiry is about the gun/ammo or the shooters ability to shoot with iron sights out to 100 yds. I try to do all my ammo testing on my lever guns by mounting a scope on them to take out the variable of the iron sight.
So, what do you really want to know? How good the gun/ammo is or how good you are.
ppkny
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I want 2 inches or better at 100 meters with my SB/PC gun. It took some time and work and shot a bunch of different ammo/loads to get it there but now both shoot considerably better than 2”.
Canon82
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Canon82 »

Gun and ammo with scope mounted.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

I'll add that when testing at 100 make sure you judge your effective group size on 10 or 20 shot groups. The fliers count unless you can unequivocally blame them on an outside force. Also I make sure the rifle is dirty, at least 100 rounds on it. It does no good to have a rifle that will shoot a 2" group clean but at a match, after 10-20 sighters, 40-60 for score then you have a shootoff and the rifle shoots a 6" group dirty. A lot of PC rifle will do that.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

Lever action rifles can be weird. It is very easy to explain away the fliers but I think that can be a trap. I also count the fliers. Going to ten shot groups instead of five is not fun BUT will tell the story better.
Shooting good groups with these rifles off the bench is challenging.
Accuracy is not always top priority for me in load development, but it has to be good enough to feel confident calling shots in matches.