high velocity or standard

Smallbore, pistol cartridge, centerfire - revolvers, pistols, Contenders, etc...
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

high velocity or standard

Post by newpep »

What is the most popular ammo for Hunter Pistol? Why is that your choice?
newpep
B Poster
B Poster

Re: high velocity or standard

Post by newpep »

Folks, I really do want some advice on this. It is being looked at, but no help yet? Please give me some feedback!
Thanks
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

Try it and see! I shoot CCI standard in my Ruger MK IV, because that's what I run through my smallbore and cowboy silhouette rifles, and so it's what I have on hand. As far as I can tell, accuracy is good. Is it lacking energy to knock over the pigs and rams? No less so than the same round through a rifle barrel, as far as I can tell.

At my club, we also count a ring on the 1/2 size rams as a hit (for smallbore only). I don't know if that's an actual rule, maybe someone else can chime in?
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

i see a lots of 22 lr and 22 mag at hunter pistol matches in my area. i use 38 special or a lite load 357 mag. i seen many pigs and rams ringers with the 22 lr and 22 mag at my local club in hunter pistol. but sometimes you got to shoot what you got. it is all about having fun and where are we going to eat after the match.
mychippy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mychippy »

newpep wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:39 am What is the most popular ammo for Hunter Pistol? Why is that your choice?
I guess because your title is "high velocity or standard", I assumed that you were talking about 22lr. If you're open to any type of ammo for Hunter Pistol, I would like to point out that 22 Hornet is AWESOME. Negligible drop out to 100m, not much recoil. A friend let me shoot his contender with 24x scope - taco hold and it's like a laser! If we're talking about the same type of competition (half scale animals at smallbore lever-action distances), I think this is one of the more popular cartridges.
Sporty
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Sporty »

If the pistol barrel is a 12" maximum length, would a high velocity .22 LR be subsonic? I know my .357 Magnum loads are subsonic in my Contender unless I'm shooting a 24" barrel.

Like others here, I shoot standard velocity with the 12" Contender .22 LR. No ram ringers at 100 meters, yet.
-Charlie (Lee) Meli
Retired match director @ Piedmont Gun Club, Rutherdfordton, NC
PaperPuncher
Unclassified Poster

Post by PaperPuncher »

Sporty wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:41 am If the pistol barrel is a 12" maximum length, would a high velocity .22 LR be subsonic? ...
Probably not. I've clocked HV and SV ammo from a number of different barrels and HV usually goes subsonic with barrels around 5 or 5 1/2 inches long or shorter. Not that you need to clock it - you can hear it. Depending on the ammo, 12" might get you nearly the rated velocity.

Old post but no one had answered.