Stock question

This is what we do.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Stock question

Post by Grantmac »

I'm looking at doing a Bergara build and I have a stock legality question. Assuming it makes weight could something like the Magpul Hunter:
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/ ... _color=118
Or this from Stockys:
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by ... ishes.html

Pass muster in hunter class? They both feature exchangeable combs which don't extend above the bore.
I realize the big dorky magazine is a whole other issue but I use a trigger guard hold anyway.

Thanks,
Grant
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Stock question

Post by dustinflint »

Either of those SHOULD work but between those two I highly recommend the Stocky’s one. It’s going to be better for offhand shooting and it’s for sure legal for Hunter.

Dustin
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Both are quite heavy so I might keep looking. I'm not that competitive yet and I'm trying to avoid building something so specific that it can only do one job.
Tempted by a Hw66 for sale locally, half the price of a 1712 and perhaps I can find a more suitable stock or just add a riser.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

CZ 457. Best bang for the buck. Lots of parts available if you want to play with it. Has a good solid action and trigger. B14 is big, overbuilt and bulky and has that monstrosity of a mag handing off of it. Have to go with a carbon fiber barrel and it would still be problematic making weight for Hunter Class.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

The Tikka T1x are supposed to be really accurate. They are the same footprint as the Tikka T3x, so any of those stocks would work.

Though I do like the idea of the bergara since it is a R700 footprint and R700 trigger. It's too bad no one makes a small mag for it.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I've had a CZ, not going down that road again.
The B14R appeal is being able to drop it into common stocks and triggers. The barreled action is actually lighter than I thought at ~3.4lbs for the carbon barrel.

That all said there is a nice older 1712FWT for sale with the fiberglass stock which could be easily modified then repainted. The big difficulty there is it's just a single stage trigger and I had my hopes set on a 2 stage.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Grantmac wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:21 am... That all said there is a nice older 1712FWT for sale with the fiberglass stock which could be easily modified then repainted. The big difficulty there is it's just a single stage trigger and I had my hopes set on a 2 stage.
You can get the "two stage" trigger part for not too much money. I put one into my 1710 FWT. While they aren't a fully adjustable two-stage trigger like on a 54.18, they do give you a decent two-stage trigger for silhouette.
Allen Corneau
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

acorneau wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:29 pm
Grantmac wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:21 am... That all said there is a nice older 1712FWT for sale with the fiberglass stock which could be easily modified then repainted. The big difficulty there is it's just a single stage trigger and I had my hopes set on a 2 stage.
You can get the "two stage" trigger part for not too much money. I put one into my 1710 FWT. While they aren't a fully adjustable two-stage trigger like on a 54.18, they do give you a decent two-stage trigger for silhouette.
You don't need to get a whole assembly for +$350? If so that does change the calculation. I haven't seen them for sale anywhere however so if you have a line on them I'd appreciate it.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Grantmac wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm You don't need to get a whole assembly for +$350? If so that does change the calculation. I haven't seen them for sale anywhere however so if you have a line on them I'd appreciate it.
Nope, just one part that takes about five minutes to swap out. I got the part from Neil Stepp at ISS in Dallas. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I want to say it was about $50 shipped about 5 years ago.
Allen Corneau
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

acorneau wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:31 pm
Grantmac wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm You don't need to get a whole assembly for +$350? If so that does change the calculation. I haven't seen them for sale anywhere however so if you have a line on them I'd appreciate it.
Nope, just one part that takes about five minutes to swap out. I got the part from Neil Stepp at ISS in Dallas. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I want to say it was about $50 shipped about 5 years ago.
That's pretty reasonable. I sent him an email so we'll see. If that is an affirmative I think I'll grab this rifle, not like they are depreciating at all.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

If it helps, I found this picture of the replacement part in my files after I received it from ISS. The screw on the side is where you adjust the sear engagement for the second stage.

8C643185-6FE4-4FCD-8F7E-27D522BFF793_1_105_c.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen Corneau
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

What Allen said... you get a reasonable 2 stage, no adjustments except for sear engagement and overall weight, don't get to set individual weights, travels, over travel etc... basically set the sear to break clean and then overall weight at 2+ pounds. Don't use any lubricates. Lighter fluid only. :)

You do get to replace the trigger shoe though with something your finger prefers and the location of it....

Peter Deal and Steve Wooster both make excellent trigger shoes.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I can't seem to find an exploded or cutaway view on this trigger. I understand the screw on there is the sear engagement but I'm wondering how it interacts.
Got a positive response from Neil, just waiting on price.

I'm also still debating the HW66. It's a whole pile less money, the triggers are supposed to be a true 2 stage and they are known to be good shooters. Unfortunately the stock doesn't have a very high comb although there is a Jagd Match stock version but that comes with a heavier barrel that won't make weight:
https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihra ... 0479654972

If I could source that stock I might be into something competitive for a lot less than the usual route.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Dropped the money on a used HW66, then found a basket case HW60J which has the hogsback stock. I overlayed the images of those stocks and the hogsback has much more drop at heel, plus it's pretty beat.
So that's going to get the body filler treatment, primed then painted.