6BRs win 1st and 2nd at Nationals

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

6BRs win 1st and 2nd at Nationals

Post by Emietenkorte »

John Mullins shot a 97x120 and I shot a 96x120 in Hunter rifle using our 6BRs to win 1st and 2nd place at Nationals. Not trying to start a debate, just putting some information out there for anyone thinking about building a rifle or re-barreling their rifle towards the end of the season. Some people have been on the fence about the 6BR, I know at the beginning I was too... but after shooting it for two years with great success there is no question in my mind that the light recoil and great accuracy that comes from the 6BR will help a shooter shoot this game better. Now full disclosure... I did win the Standard Rifle National Championship with my 6.5x47 Lapua, however, with the added weight that the standard rifle allows the perceived recoil is about the same between my two rifles. Another fun fact... I didn't ring a single ram with my 6BR shooting 115gr. Berger VLD Target Bullets but I did ring one with my 6.5x47 using 139gr. Lapua Scenar bullets.

If you are thinking about building one, these are the specifications that have been successful for me so it may give you a starting point. Please feel free to contact or post replies if you have any questions! Have fun! :-bd

Barrel - 1/7 twist to stabilize the 115gr. Bullets. It will shoot the 95gr. Bergers with great accuracy too!

Primers - CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum

CPT Loads
95gr. Berger VLD Target Bullets
29gr. Vihtavuori N140 powder
2800 FPS - They don't need to go that fast but I have shot on some ranges that have some pretty fat pigs...

Ram Loads
115gr. Berger VLD Target Bullets
30gr. Vihtavuori N140 Powder
2725 FPS
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: 6BRs win 1st and 2nd at Nationals

Post by Merlin »

^:)^ Excellent.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Thanks for the write-up, Erich. Chris Cawthorne also shoots a 6BR and I believe he rang three rams on one of the matches the second day of Nationals.

I'm slowly inching along to getting myself set up with a high power rifle. Since I am starting from scratch and components are really hard to come by, I can justify dragging my feet a bit longer. Still, the 6BR seems to be a strong contender for someone like me who hasn't ever shot high power rifle on a regular basis.
Allen Corneau
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

How does the 6BR compare to the 6 mm Creedmore round?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

6BR won't torch a barrel as quickly. Different opinions on "accurate" lifespan of the barrel but a 6BR will go longer before it requires replacement. The 6BR variations with greater case capacities get less life. If you feel the 6BR won't get it done move up to a 6.5 something..... More speed and a bigger fireball is not the answer.

Just my opinion.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Thank you. I guess the reason .243 is not popular is their reputation for burning up barrels?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

acorneau wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:44 am Thanks for the write-up, Erich. Chris Cawthorne also shoots a 6BR and I believe he rang three rams on one of the matches the second day of Nationals.

I'm slowly inching along to getting myself set up with a high power rifle. Since I am starting from scratch and components are really hard to come by, I can justify dragging my feet a bit longer. Still, the 6BR seems to be a strong contender for someone like me who hasn't ever shot high power rifle on a regular basis.

Yes he does, I believe he is using 108s on Rams though.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

John's ram load is also 115s at a velocity similar to Erich, but with Federal primers and VV N540 powder. As best I recall, he rang at least one ram in each match at the Nationals and two in the last hunter rifle match. He has consistently gotten 85%+ of the rams hit over 2 years with this load. Dan