Rule Question Relating to the Comb Height

This is what we do.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Rule Question Relating to the Comb Height

Post by pdeal »

I'm putting a hunter rifle together for my Son-in-Law. It's a cz 457 and I bought a Pharr style blank from Evelio McDonald. I assume the way to insure the Comb isn't too high is that you ought to have an unobstructed view down the bore with the bolt removed? And that the comb should not rise more than half inch above the bore on the off side.

Is this correct?

I think I got it too high right now so may need to take the rasp to it.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Rule Question Relating to the Comb Height

Post by Grantmac »

I'd adjust the bedding rather than taking a rasp to the stock.

In my mind so long as you can fit a cleaning rod in you should be good.
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

I set the action into the stock a little deep because the action area of the new stock is a little deeper vertically than the action area depth of the OEM cz stock. I wanted the trigger sticking out the bottom enough for a good feel. I have another CZ 457 that I put in a custom stock I bought already setup and the action isn't set down into the stock far enough and the feel of where my finger goes on the trigger isn't quite right. This one is set so the trigger feels very nice. Any higher and not enough trigger would be sticking out the bottom. So it was either take a rasp to the bottom of the stock or the comb. It's a wood blank and only primed so no real big deal.

As it is I can probably get a cleaning rod down it, the Comb is just barely overlapping but does this violate the rules?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

If you can see down the bore with the bolt removed then you should be good to go.

I've never had someone check the comb clearance of my rifle at a state, regional, or national match, just overall weight and trigger weight. If someone is checking that at a club match then that match director needs to lighten up! :))
Allen Corneau
pdeal
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pdeal »

Nobody’s checking anything but me at the moment. Allen this is the same stock as you have. It’s still just primed now like yours was. Just trying to get it right before I do any finishing.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

I would be inclined to bed the action without regard to how much the trigger blade stick out of the stock and if that were a problem I would relieve the area that interfered with access to the trigger rather than taking a rasp to the cheek piece.