54.18 who has a custom stock made for hunter class?

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Re: 54.18 who has a custom stock made for hunter class?

Post by Grantmac »

No1_49er wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:39 am As cedestech wrote, tapered from muzzle to receiver.

The specification rule 3.2.1 refers back to 3.1.1.(e) which says:

Barrel: A hunting style contoured barrel that tapers from chamber to muzzle. Bull barrels are not permitted. A factory tuner that does not act as a muzzle brake or compensator is permitted. Maximum barrel length is 26 inches, including tuner. (See Rule 3.16.1).

But, I'll put on my pedantic hat now.
Taper is not defined. Period.
If a barrel starts life at the chamber end at, say, 1 inch dia, and tapers to,say, 0.98 inch at the muzzle, then it is tapered.
Who says that that is not tapered, or that it is not a "hunting style". These, and "bull barrel" are undefined terms, therefore open to (mis)interpretation.

Over to the board.
I don't see anything in there which defines the taper as continuous. Could be a taper of 0.01" in the last 1" or first 1" of the barrel.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/st ... 27%29.html

Hubba Hubba…. I’d have a competent smith pop that barrel out, run a light taper (.10 so it’s plainly visible), reblue and reinstall, drop in the stock of your choice that will make weight (would probably have to be one of Woosters, his are light).

Here are my 2 guns,

One is a 54.18MS, other is 1712, both Lija barreled, both Wooster stocks made to my measurements. Both 1/2” guns with decent ammo, both couple ounces shy of 8.5#.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

A .1 taper is not going to get it done. The 54.18 barrels are .925 and .900. Have to get to low .7s to make weight if then. I guess you could cut the end off the barrel if you don't buy into the don't' cut the end of Anschutz barrels or the accuracy goes to poo thinking....

As to the arguing the rules about taper.... Go for it and see if it gets you there at an equipment check at a big match. :D
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Probably wouldn't matter unless you won, but where the taper is also doesn't matter one bit to how you scored so anyone who complains is just sour grapes.

I'd probably just put the barrel on a lathe, take the tiniest bit off, then carry a micrometer.
jbmarshtx
A Poster
A Poster

Post by jbmarshtx »

pdeal wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:02 am I have a Wooster stock on my 1712 that I got from cedestech used. I also just received a few Tumbleweed style blanks from McMillan and am working on a similar project to what you're after. The Wooster stock seems hollow and therefore lighter than the McMillan will probably be. For my own quirky reasons I think I like the McMillan pattern better but we'll see how all the weight issues play out. I'm using a Lilja 1712 taper blank. As of now the barrel is longer than my 1712 but it may need to be chopped some in the end.
Mark did the M-T Hunter McMillan stock for my 1712. He did beef up the tang area since I believe it is make for a remington 700, and I have my 700 high power rifle in one. Anyway, I suspect that the Wooster is lighter than the McMillan with a standard fill, but the edge fill McMillan may be close. Mark put an ultralight pad on mine, and I don't think that it would have made weight with the standard McMillan pad since it's the regular fill.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Merlin wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:28 am A .1 taper is not going to get it done. The 54.18 barrels are .925 and .900. Have to get to low .7s to make weight if then. I guess you could cut the end off the barrel if you don't buy into the don't' cut the end of Anschutz barrels or the accuracy goes to poo thinking....

As to the arguing the rules about taper.... Go for it and see if it gets you there at an equipment check at a big match. :D
What is the 1710HB? (I had one but never actually measured it….)

It can’t be much more then .100” taper… that pig is fat. :)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Per Nordic Marksman....

Model:
1710 D HB Walnut Classic
Total length: 103.3 cm (40.7 in)
Weight approx.: 3.6 kg (7.93 lbs)

At action
At muzzle
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
Krebaum
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Krebaum »

The new 54:18 repeater action with 20" barrel should work for hunter in a Wooster stock and Leupold 25 or 30 x scope. It has tapered barrel .987 at breach and .900 at muzzle and weighs 5lb 5 oz. You would have to change the springs out to make the 2lb trigger.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Krebaum wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 pm The new 54:18 repeater action with 20" barrel should work for hunter in a Wooster stock and Leupold 25 or 30 x scope. It has tapered barrel .987 at breach and .900 at muzzle and weighs 5lb 5 oz. You would have to change the springs out to make the 2lb trigger.
Have you called and confirmed or did you buy one? That's a lot of dough to spend without confirmation

Also, is the failure to extract extra or is it included in the price of the barreled action? :lol:
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Also no tuners on SB Hunter rifles.
sdwooster
A Poster
A Poster

Post by sdwooster »

My stocks weight around 1 lb. 8 to 10 oz. I also have made stocks that weight 1 lb. 3.4 oz. And those are inletted and bedded with pillars. I cam usually adjust my weights. I use carbon fiber on the lighter ones.
Doodaddy
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Doodaddy »

As far as legal taper goes if you're too close to be visible in diameter change, just keep a set of calipers in your range bag to prove it.
I am NOT Danny Hatch. Image
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

I would have to change the barrel either way, it has a thicker tip at the end.