NRA Lever Gun Nationals Disappointing

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
DesertShooter
B Poster
B Poster

Re: NRA Lever Gun Nationals Disappointing

Post by DesertShooter »

I think I was misunderstood with the first post. I was not complaining about any individuals, it was the NRA I was disappointed in. This is the only NRA Lever Gun National held this year. There is only one such event held each year. The NRA dropped the ball in trying to make this a special top tier event. The NRA gave the appearance that this was just another match, nothing special, so what if it is a National Championship match, ho hum. The NRA provided very scant resources to put on this match. (Resources can mean just about anything supplied to make this match a much talked about and anticipated event). Hopefully everyone now understands what I was trying to get across. This is the last I will post on this subject.
DBSBelle
Unclassified Poster

Post by DBSBelle »

The NRA has not done anything to help the silhouette shooters in years . Was the match director for years but after being screwed around a couple of years row I quit shooting NRA matches.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Reading over the posts and speaking with many competitors, as we all do. It appears to me two separate issues are being intertwined.

I have deep gratitude for every person that plays a roll in every shooting event. I try to personally thank everyone I recognize as being involved in holding or managing a match, often more than once. If it was not for the generous efforts of the folks that organize, manage, direct and otherwise make the matches happen, the shooters standing on the line would not have an event. I personally contribute very little to make the matches happen but sure take advantage of the efforts of others while I participate. For the doers, it’s hard not to be disheartened by the voices of a very small minority and feel personally hurt, angry and frustrated. The very large majority appreciates all that you do and may be guilty of not voicing it often enough.

The other issue - Anyone with a history in the shooting sports has witnessed a disappointing decline in the NRA’s management and support of the shooting sports. It makes one get the impression that the shooting sports are an unfortunate part of their history that they wish wasn’t tethered to them anymore. I mean this as a criticism and disappointment of the organization NOT the hard working, boots on the ground employees of the organization. I know the shooting sports portion of the NRA is understaffed and the ones they are lucky enough to keep work there overwhelmed butts off. Maybe we can help the NRA return to the respected, professional shooting sports organization it once was, I don’t know. I do know NRA shooting sports attendance numbers are THE standard of measure for politicians and other gun control and anti 2nd amendment folks. NRA sanctioned matches with declining attendance does not serve shooters or gun owners well. A problematic situation when the bureaucracy the NRA has become does not serve the shooting sports well.

Wayne Byers
Carlsbad, NM
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Wayne Byers.... For what it's worth. I really wish this forum had a "Like" button.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Mrs. atomicbrh and I ran local air rifle, air pistol and the scoped smallbore matches for many years.
We held the last match in December of 2019. It just wasn't worth the hassle or expense to continue.
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Heavybarrell »

I've been shooting silhouette since 2000. Yes, I know many have been shooting it since the 80's. I can say without any reluctance, that the NRA does not put the effort or the resources into silhouette as it once did. I do not know the reason why, so I will not speculate. But support for silhouette from the NRA has been diminishing over the years, whether you want to face the truth or not. If not for clubs like the Ridgway Rifle Club, Nationals wouldn't be worth the effort or cost (Travel, entry fees, accommodations). I will say that I don't always shoot the Nationals but I always try to make a day trip to Ridgway during Nationals. I've met some tremendous folks, from all over this continent, that I would have never met. I guess I'm getting old because the comradery and friendship means as much as shooting.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

Not just silhouette but all of the disciplines have decreased support.
I talk to people in other disciplines.
The anger and outcry from metallic silhouette pales in comparison to the non-silhouette disciplines.
I think silhouette is probably the quietest squeaky wheel.
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Wayne Byers, well said.

Dennis Ostler
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Paul Freeman, I am dismayed that shooters at the NRA Lever Gun Match would criticize the way the match was run. You did an EXCELLENT job calling the match. I've never seen better, and I told you so at the match.

Negative comments are never going to help promote the shooting sports. Constructive criticism is the way to get your comments across.

All of you who bash a match should run one just one time, and you will change your outlook.

Jim Luke
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

JohnHenry wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:30 am Paul Freeman, I am dismayed that shooters at the NRA Lever Gun Match would criticize the way the match was run. You did an EXCELLENT job calling the match. I've never seen better, and I told you so at the match.

Negative comments are never going to help promote the shooting sports. Constructive criticism is the way to get your comments across.

All of you who bash a match should run one just one time, and you will change your outlook.

Jim Luke
That.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

The Whittington Center was built in 1973.
We have stayed in all different types of lodging there.
How many people here think the mattresses are the original 1973 mattresses?
39 years old? :))
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

I believe the mattresses were replaced in the last year.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

Here is my take on this subject.
I have ran matches anywhere from a Approved Match with 4 shooters to a National Match with 160 shooters. And I have shot matches of the same.

Until you step up to run a small or large match you should not criticize the people that do.
If it wasn’t for the people who step up to put on a match good or bad you would have no place to shoot.

If I go to a match and I don’t like it or feel it wasn’t a well run match then it’s simple I don’t go back.

The state of silhouette in general is getting better and there are several of us that are trying our hardest to continue to improve the sport we love!!!!

The one thing Silhouette does not need is all the negativity.
So basically step up or shut up!!!!
Mike Haynes
judylee
B Poster
B Poster

Post by judylee »

Mike Haynes ...... Exactly.

-- Judy