In search of Winchester factoids

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

In search of Winchester factoids

Post by BrentD »

I have a friend who recently inherited a 1917 vintage 1894 Winchester (.30-30). It came with a bulged barrel and will need some work. Relining is the likely solution but the bulge may need to be adressed. Is this original barrel likely to be carbonia blued or rust blued? I recall (perhaps incorrectly), that Winchester changed from rust bluing to carbonia bluing at some point, but I don't know when.

Any clear favorite 'smiths for relining one of these?

Thanks,
Brent
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: In search of Winchester factoids

Post by lone ringer »

I though I had found a gunsmith that had experience relining 30-30's and had him reline the barrel of my Winchester 94 commemorative, the result was not satisfactory because the chamber must of had a void between the barrel and the liner and after the first shot the chambered developed a bulge that made extraction very hard. I was lucky and found another barrel identical to the one on my rifle and I had the barrel replaced. I you find some one to reline your barrel make sure that they guarantee their work.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Re-bore and go with 38-55. Great caliber and good shooter.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Merlin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:02 am Re-bore and go with 38-55. Great caliber and good shooter.
Been there, done that and was not satisfied. Ended up relining. But this time the rifle in question is not mine and there is a desire to keep it in the family configuration of .30-30.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

It's an outside chance but you might want to check with Jack First in Rapid City, could be they may have a barrel from that generation in their parts inventory.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

DonM wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:30 am It's an outside chance but you might want to check with Jack First in Rapid City, could be they may have a barrel from that generation in their parts inventory.
Thanks for that.
Brent
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Another place is Wiseners? in Oregon sometimes has various parts for the older rifles.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

The best is Mark Chandlynn, Rocky Mountain Rifle Works followed by John Taylor Machine. Both can be found using a Google search. I prefer Mark’s technique because he has deep boring barrel drills and he preserves the factory crown by not drilling it out. His work is perfection and the rifles he’s relined for me and my CLA friends have been superbly accurate. John Taylor does a great job as well but completely drills the barrel. Both have delivered ahead of promised timelines.
- Joe