Eley Force Oxidized vs Eley Force Bright Brass

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Smayone
B Poster
B Poster

Eley Force Oxidized vs Eley Force Bright Brass

Post by Smayone »

I've been shooting SK High Velocity Match for a little over a year and a half in my Henry Frontier Long Barrel. In my unsophisticated testing it shot way better than the Aguila Standard Velocity I was shooting. I bought a case and split it with another shooter. I like it. I offered to buy back the half I sold but got turned down. I bought another whole case all for me. I have one brick left. I have not been able to get any more (at a reasonable price) but I did buy 7 bricks of Eley Force about six months ago just in case I'm not able to get anymore SK High Velocity match. It looks like I'm gonna need it. Eley's description of their ammo used to make a big deal about the improved performance that oxidizing gave this cartridge. I am about to test my Eley Force (bright brass) against my SK High Velocity hoping that it is comparable. Has anyone tested the Oxidized Eley Force against the Unoxidized (bright brass) Eley Force that is available now?
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Eley Force Oxidized vs Eley Force Bright Brass

Post by 375Short »

My guess is it won’t be the case that makes any accuracy difference between Eley black Force case v. The Eley bright Force case . It will likely be the particular lot of the Eley Force you are testing. The difference between your rifle likening the Eley or the SK could be a little more mechanical, they have different bullet designs, different lube, different rim thickness and different brass case hardness.

I have tested Eley Force bright case and Black case in my Uberti 66. It preferred the SK hands down. My wife’s 66 didn’t like them both. Hers must be fed RWS ammo to avoid jams.

As you probably already know, others experience with a certain ammo in their certain gun doesn’t mean a whole lot that’s relevant to your gun and it’s ammo preference. You made a great choice buying a case of what shot well, then you run out and it starts all over again. That said, sometimes a pattern of better odds starts to develop. You had great success with SK high velocity match. Another shooter recommended SK high velocity match to my wife at the Western National last year. It shot very well in my rifle and average in my wife’s. It does appear a little pattern is forming that SK high velocity match may get along well in lever guns.

Don’t over invest in the Eley (unless it shoots great) the SK high velocity will reappear whenever the next container ship brings another load.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I have a couple of experiences worth sharing.

I tried a couple of bricks of Eley Force 5-6 years ago and it shot 3”. However, I do have friends that had good accuracy in last 2 years. My personal opinion is the black case intentionally marketed the black rifle rifle buyers. So the case color means nothing for operation or accuracy in leverguns.

I found it’s much easier to buy accurate 22lr ammo for SBCLA when buying mid-grade target ammo like SK STD+, Eley Contact, etc. You don’t need high velocity to knock down the 1/2 scale targets unless they don’t conform to the rule standards.

Eley Contact from Kilough shooting supply is available for $525/case to your door. It’s a standard velocity round at 1090 fps and has a 42 grain bullet. Accuracy has been quite good for me and a few of my CLA friends. I’ve yet to hear of someone who didn’t like it.
- Joe
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

edgehit wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:35 am I have a couple of experiences worth sharing.

I tried a couple of bricks of Eley Force 5-6 years ago and it shot 3”. However, I do have friends that had good accuracy in last 2 years. My personal opinion is the black case intentionally marketed the black rifle rifle buyers. So the case color means nothing for operation or accuracy in leverguns.

I found it’s much easier to buy accurate 22lr ammo for SBCLA when buying mid-grade target ammo like SK STD+, Eley Contact, etc. You don’t need high velocity to knock down the 1/2 scale targets unless they don’t conform to the rule standards.

Eley Contact from Kilough shooting supply is available for $525/case to your door. It’s a standard velocity round at 1090 fps and has a 42 grain bullet. Accuracy has been quite good for me and a few of my CLA friends. I’ve yet to hear of someone who didn’t like it.
(Pssstt… My relined Uberti hates it…. )

LOL, I have yet to see a certain flavor that EVERY rifle likes. Rimfire is bad like that. You have to ammo test and shoot what shoots BEST in YOUR rifle… black case or not. My Uberti likes SK products for what ever reason. Shoots Eley and RWS products horribly.

I COMPLETELY agree with Joe though, any SV round SHOULD knock over a SB legal 1/2 scale ram. Rings do happen though with anything but you have to hit it FIRST. I’ll take a standard velocity ammo that shoots 1.5” at the rams all day long over a high velocity ammo that shoots 3”. If I ring 1% of my ram hits, so be it.

:)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I have shot a lot of Force and a little bit of Contact. Almost every time I have compared them, Force was more accurate in my rifles. No idea why. I haven't really done any bench testing of newer lots. Force is milder than Eley's marketing people think. Usually averaged about 1175 fps for me.
The hard part is usually waiting for a nice calm warm day to test ammo (and then taking time to shoot a lot of rounds when you do it). If they shoot well in your guns, I think both Eley types are a bargain in today's market.