Air Rifle NRA approved in New Hampshire

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Air Rifle NRA approved in New Hampshire

Post by durant7 »

I went and made it official. I scheduled with the NRA 6 approved air rifle matches for Pioneer Sportsman in Dunbarton NH. I guess I am going on the "Build it and they will come" theory.

The details. When I left Texas Fenton was so kind as to gift me acquire his resettable air targets he used at his Winnsboro, TX matches. After a half day building a crate and cutting them into smaller chunks at Ernie's house, they were shipped LTL to NH. Welded back together by John Livingston and ready for use. The program at Pioneer is a bit different. 240 animals are set up in the morning. 2 banks for 1/5th scale, 2 banks of 1/2 scale for PCCLA, 2 banks for smallbore lever. In one day you can shoot 4 approved matches and with air rifle, the number is now 7.

Does it dilute the focus? Maybe. But the alternative would be more weekends dedicated to a match. So, this is the plan for now. See if anyone gets interested as the price of primers and ammo availability crimp shooting.

So what is a budget rifle if one is not so equipped? TX200 looks to be a $750 barrier to entry. Staying out of the PCP scuba tank game seems prudent. I will let folks try my TX200 and SSP2002 and see if that stimulates anyone to get their own rifle. Got to believe there might be one airhead in New Hampshire that might help get this off the ground.

NH 2023 Silhouette Schedule (Pioneer only. See Club House for full NH schedule in 2023.)
Date
Sunday, May 14, 2023
Sunday, June 11, 2023
Sunday, July 16, 2023
Sunday, August 20, 2023
Sunday, September 17, 2023
Sunday, October 15, 2023
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Air Rifle NRA approved in New Hampshire

Post by acorneau »

See if there are any related air rifle groups in your area, such as for Field Target or benchrest. You can do FT-Silhouette (sit on a bucket/stool, use shooting sticks) or benchrest silhouette to draw in more folks to the same match.

I was just at the range shooting my TX200, getting ready for the Coop Shoot next month.

Second-hand TX's and HW97's can be had for $500 or so. You have to keep an eye on the various air gun forums though.

Best of luck getting the air rifle match off the ground!
Allen Corneau
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Any reason you are shooting the tx200 at the coop shoot?

And this is the only way to get more people to show up, build it, advertise it and hope people show up, good job for doing this!
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

thauglor wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:14 pm Any reason you are shooting the tx200 at the coop shoot?
As long as I'm having a decent shooting day, I can shoot the TX pretty well. (Not as well as my Open rifle though.)

Just a little bit of "team strategy" going on. 8-x
Allen Corneau
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

acorneau wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:18 pm
thauglor wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:14 pm Any reason you are shooting the tx200 at the coop shoot?
As long as I'm having a decent shooting day, I can shoot the TX pretty well. (Not as well as my Open rifle though.)

Just a little bit of "team strategy" going on. 8-x
Didn't realize there were any team matches at the coop shoot :)
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

A good starter air rifle would be just about any break barrel type of airgun. The R-9 and some of the Diana guns are best quality. The ultra high power guns are not good and damage targets. Lower power scopes are fine to start with as well.
Rick B.
Richard
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

Build it and they will come is my motto. NH has great ranges in truth. Two clubs that can put up a lot of animals for 100m 1/5th scale games. 6 sets of each animal is possible. Ok, pigs is currently 4 banks but that can be solved if there was interest. For now, we put up 2 banks of PCLA, SBLA, STD, HUNTER and now AIR. All shot at the same time. Sure, Cowboy and 1/5th timing is different but workable.

Me wonders if there are too many options? In an effort to appeal to everyone we have diluted the focus and competition? Something to consider. The focus now is to find younger shooters as us old farts are aging out and will be moving to the bench soon.

I do like air rifle. Hone your skill and it directly transfers to EVERY other silhouette rifle game. And pellets are much easier to find than primers!

Of course the NRA manila envelope arrived and they failed to include Air. Must have copied from a prior year. They included Pistol and Hunter Pistol which I did not request to have approved. Joy!

Sure wish the Coop shoot was closer.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

HI Jud,
Any chance you are running again in 2024? I have a break barrel Diana 350- just started playing around with it. Few years ago I had a Pneumatic but could never find a place to fill scuba tank so I sold it. Might jump in if there's matches.
Thanks
chuck
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Richard, is there a general description of what’s a high power rifle that will damage targets? Such as projectile weight / velocity
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

GENERALLY speaking I would consider an airgun high power if it shoots at over 20 foot pounds of energy. Guns that powerful will most likely damage the targets and will usually not be as accurate. Lots of PCP guns are too powerful for airgun silo and some spring guns like the RWS/Diana side cockers and some Gamo airguns come to mind. Of course even those guns can be tuned/tamed down to shoot slower(and better!). Spring guns that are advertised to shoot faster than say 950 FPS usually have accuracy issues and are not fun to shoot. Speed and power are just not as important in airgun silo. Even 10 meter guns have the power to knock own all of the animals regularly, wind being a separate issue of course.
These are just my opinions and your mileage may vary.
Rick B.
Richard
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Thank you. I’m working to get a club up and running. I don’t have a background in air rifle silhouette and just want to have a general idea of the norms. I want to develop a program and shooters that are on the right track when they venture from the local area and want to have a program in line with what others are doing so guests are competing in a generally accepted standard.

Thanks again