Disappearing front sight

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Disappearing front sight

Post by No1_49er »

ppkny wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:07 pm I solved this problem by buying a pair of cheap glasses from Zenni Optical on-line and add 1.0 diopler to the right lenses of my regular prescription. Front sight is sharp and the distance doesn't suffer that much
ppkny
+1 for Zenni Optical
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

cslcAl wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:41 pm H. Plummer,

I have experienced the same issue you are experiencing. I recently obtained some of the Anschutz apertures that ElevenBravo mentioned to you.
They work very well for me. I have a clear uninstructed view of the animals; and the clarity is remarkable. I would highly recommend trying them.

Al Foust
AI, what are you using for a sight pic with the front sight? ie turkey- circle the body- how about the rest?
thanks
chuck
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Chuck,

What has worked best for me is to place the inside top of the front aperture on the top of the animals. I simply lower the sight till the daylight disappears above the animal.
I feel this gives me the most consistent aiming point. You can use the legs as a reference for windage before you make your firing sight picture.

Please don’t share this technique; it’s a secret!!!

I was using the Shaver apertures before I talked to Paul Viola about the Anschutz type. I had previously had an issue in poor lighting conditions with losing the animals and also the edges of the aperture. Not once yet have I had trouble picking up the animal or aperture with Paul’s Anschutz aperture.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Post by ChuckD »

Thank you Al.
I had used these (round sights) in HP match rifle and were great. I tried in SB silhouette and chickens and turkeys were fine- but pugs and rams I struggled with. will try your suggestion.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

I've always preferred the open bead post, as it allows more light to reach my eyes. Most factory beads have worked well, with my preference being for a really fat bead. I find the larger bead easier to center. Since I use a 6 oclock hold the large bead isn't an obstruction. However, as my eye sight degrades I have trouble focusing on a front sight if the barrel is less than 24". The Marlin 39 barrel is somewhere around 22" and is becoming an issue. My prescription lens' won't bring the bead in clear any longer, requiring 1.5-1.75 readers... then the target is very blurry, sometimes with a ghost image. Any suggestions on ways to combat this?
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

chickenhater:

Do you generally wear glasses with corrective lenses for distance ? If so you will just need to add 1.0 diopler to your long distance persecution. Readers will not work because the focal point is to close to your normal eye focus for near distance

Adding it to a long distance prescription moves the focal point closer. Although the animals do start to get a little blurry but not a lot.
Why won"t it work if you don't have prescription glasses? The long distance prescription has already moved your focal point considerable, and your just reducing it a bit. Normal eyes are constantly adjusting for near and far that's why readers don't work.
I'm not a Optometrist but that's my understanding of how it works.
ppkny
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

My prescription lens' are fixed, not bifocal or progressive. Since my distance vision is almost 20/20 they are more of a midrange type of glass, very low mag. My eyes won't focus at distances within 30" or so from my eyes. It's not a common failure, but it's mine.