New lever action-nee.....

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
OnaginOffagin
AA Poster
AA Poster

New lever action-nee.....

Post by OnaginOffagin »

I'm an old guy switching from scoped rifle to lever action. I own two LA rifles, a Henry Frontier .22 24" octagonal barrel, and a Rossi R92 44 mag 24" octagonal barrel. William receiver sights installed on both. My original intent was to shoot the Rossi with 44 Special in PC and 44 mag in HP.....

But I'm hearing that's a dumb idea, and that I should order up a Henry Frontier 22 Mag for PC. At 81 years old, I don't think I'm gonna threaten anyone competitively... having fun is my goal... and I admit I bought the Rossi for it's looks! Opinions?
"Honor, Respect, Service, Humility....." (Lt. Gen. Hal Moore 1st Bn, 7th Cavalry)
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Re: New lever action-nee.....

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

If you don't like to reload go with the 22wmr. I hate reloading, but I'm currently using 357 for PC and rifle. I think in a year or two I will switch to 22wmr. I've shot a PC match using my 22lr and I rang a couple rams, but everything else I hit fell. I know I use expensive bullets for .357 *hornady* but I'm starting to think I can fire a round of 22wmr or I can have 1 bullet of 357 to reload.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

I say run what you brung. You already have the 44 so work up some loads, based on the 44mag case, both pc and cla, for accuracy purposes. I have a Rossi, win 92 copy in 357 and it's very accurate, so no flys on the rifle. It may require buying, or casting slightly oversized bullets, buy hey... that's part of the fun.
The 22mag is an easy shooting option, but a slight headwind will result in lots of ringers on rams, and even pigs on occasion.
Good luck and happy shooting with whatever choice you make.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

I agree, your choice of the .44 for both PC and Highpower will work just fine. Mild and accurate for the PC and even fairly mild for the full size animals. A 240gr or heavier 44 bullet doesn’t need to go very fast to get the job done. Another option and more economical. Use the .22 for both Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I agree with chickenhater. Before making a decision on a different rifle, might be wise to see if you can work up accurate loads for the .44. (unless you just want to try something else; that's fine too) PC rifles can be picky, so see what you have. Whatever gets you to the range.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

Run what you have for now. The Rossi will handle PC and CLA, and the Henry will be great in the rimfire.
After you've shot a few matches then you'll be in a better position to decide if you want to take up more slots in the gun safe or not.