Question re Rule 3.15

This is what we do.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Question re Rule 3.15

Post by nemo »

Greetings all,

I tend to practice year round, which requires different clothing. This in turn changes quie significantly length of pull. It is not a problem with an air rifle, where almost all dimensions are adjustable, but I was wondering about a 22lr. Could one modify the stock by separating the butt-plate and use spacer(s) for adjustment, a la Walther Dominator arrangement:

Butplate_spacers.jpg

Regarding the butt-plate,the rule recites (emphasis supplied):

"A butt or buttplate having a curved rear surface in which the depth of the curve exceeds 1/2 inch when measured from a straight line drawn from the top to the bottom of the buttplate is prohibited. Buttplates must be centered."

This implies that the butt-plate is (in a way), adjustable. The next sentence recites (emphasis supplied):

"Adjustable cheek pieces must be fixed and sealed in place."

Thus it logically follows that it would stand to reason that such a modification should be allowed. However, I would hate to make a modification that would disqualify the stock.

Kindest regards,

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Question re Rule 3.15

Post by acorneau »

nemo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:45 pm... Could one modify the stock by separating the butt-plate and use spacer(s) for adjustment...?

Yes, you can use spacers to adjust the LOP between matches. Just no hanky-panky with making adjustments once it's been inspected and passed by the match officials.

Obviously, no one is going to care if it's just a club match, but at a state match, regional, or nationals it's going to a bigger deal.

:ymcowboy:
Allen Corneau
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Allen,
nemo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:45 pm Yes, you can use spacers to adjust the LOP between matches. Just no hanky-panky with making adjustments once it's been inspected and passed by the match officials.
Thank you for the reply.

As noted, the intention is to adjust the length of pull when adding or removing layers of clothing with temperature changes with seasons.

Kindest regards,

N
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Easiest way to do it without any potential side eye would be two different butt pads.
I'm currently in the thinking process for this and might just use hook and loop attachment of the usual thin foam material to keep weight down.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Grantmac,

I had been thinking about that, but going between summer and winter clothes, I need about 0.75 inch, and I am not sure how to attach them so that I do not incur weight penalty and can to swap them easily.

Kindest regards,

N
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

That's fair. A screwed on buttpad and spacers would be the easiest approach if you stock has the structure for it.
In my case the stock I'm using is foam cored and I'd have to imbed some threaded inserts or similar.
nemo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nemo »

Hi Grantmac,

without trying to give you a bad advice, did you consider riv-nuts for embedding threads?

How do you attach the different pads?

Kindest regards,

N
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I thought of thread inserts set in epoxy. For now just using craft foam like the stock comes with and I'll use slightly thicker stuff in the summer probably with sticky Velcro.