Front sight inserts

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Front sight inserts

Post by chickenhater »

I remember the last rule change, that allowed circular inserts, making the post, bead post and lolipop acceptable, but was wondering if this has changed since to allow other inserts.
I bought a Lee Shaver front sight, for another purpose, and it came with a host of really nice inserts, i especially like the cross wire insert... i know these inserts are kosher for bpcr, so it would seem logical that they would also be legal for use in lever, does anyone know whats currently allowed?
This sight is dimensionally a match for a 17a, but with the addition of a spirit level, are levels allowed in lever?
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Front sight inserts

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

My lever action rifle was inspected at the 2023 nationals with that exact front sight. Nothing was said about the spirit level. While rifles were being inspected it was proclaimed that cross hair inserts were not legal. This was the ruling with the powers that be at Ridgway in mid 2023 . I wish that I could be more definite in my answer sorry.
PS I really like that front sight . It helps me with rifle canting out to those stubborn 200 meter rams.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
c4p6t7r188
B Poster
B Poster

Post by c4p6t7r188 »

DAVIDMAGNUM wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:59 am My lever action rifle was inspected at the 2023 nationals with that exact front sight. Nothing was said about the spirit level. While rifles were being inspected it was proclaimed that cross hair inserts were not legal. This was the ruling with the powers that be at Ridgway in mid 2023 . I wish that I could be more definite in my answer sorry.
PS I really like that front sight . It helps me with rifle canting out to those stubborn 200 meter rams.
What is the spirit level?

No crosshair is allowed.
3.1.3a
"The front sightsmust be a post or bead or a fixed non magnified round aperture.A front sight anti-glare tube which may be no longer than 11⁄8” to include any attachments and no longer than a ¾ outside diameter, may be used."
https://competitions.nra.org/media/8911 ... -rules.pdf
https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... t6eLTonwMI
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

[/quote]
What is the spirit level?

No crosshair is allowed.
3.1.3a
"The front sights must be a post or bead or a fixed non magnified round aperture. A front sight anti-glare tube which may be no longer than 11⁄8” to include any attachments and no longer than a ¾ outside diameter, may be used."
[/quote]

Correct; the crosshatch type insert is not permitted in LAS.

See here for a spirit level type front globe sight https://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com ... 00-height/

49er
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I know it ruffles feather but I feel anything you can get into the tube dimensions should be allowed...

The main problem with most of the guys is actually holding on the animal and breaking the trigger in the correct spot.

The sight insert has little to do with that.

And for the people who proclaim tradition... Zanders sights are about as far from "traditional" as you can get but are legal. (absolutely no dig, like them, don't use them because I am to ham handed and will knock them right off the barrel)

No lens front sight, let your freak flag fly for what ever you want in there...

IMHO, YMMV, TNSTAAFL, etc, etc...
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Ok, that settles that... no change since the lolipop addition. So i'll just stick with the bead post, works fine, but that crosswire sure looks like it would be fun to play with.
Thanks guys.
No1_49er
A Poster
A Poster

Post by No1_49er »

chickenhater wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:25 pm Ok, that settles that... no change since the lolipop addition. So i'll just stick with the bead post, works fine, but that crosswire sure looks like it would be fun to play with.
Thanks guys.
Don't be afraid to have fun and play with the cross-wire insert, until such time as it is an approved insert. You might get to like it and having done so, persuade the assembled throng that a rule change might be beneficial. It is, after all, akin to the now allowable round front aperture insert.

While on the subject of what is allowable, what complies with the "spirit of the rules" (3.18 Equipment, General), and what is traditional, it might be worth considering that there really is nothing "new" in our game.
As Emmett said, "I know it ruffles feather but I feel anything you can get into the tube dimensions should be allowed... ".
Some years ago, Steve Garbe (Black Powder Cartridge News_Winter 2016, page 12) posted a copy of a rifle sight options list from the 1875 Winchester Repeating Arms catalog, and Options D was for a glass front aperture insert that was cut in such a way that it was the forerunner of an Anschutz/Gehmann type insert - the black annular ring which does not have a support post; cost $1.50.
Is it traditional? Most certainly, if the option was available. In fact, the catalog showed 15 options, one of which looks remarkably like the diamond pattern that we now see in the new Leupold scope.

And, perhaps to broaden the discussion re' what is traditional and what is in the "spirit of the rules" (3.18, Equipment, General), can anybody explain why it is deemed acceptable to permit the use of image stabilizing binoculars in LAS matches but NOT to allow the use of a support or stand - 3.1.3 (e)Binoculars may be used for spotting. Spotting scopes or stands may not be used.
Yet, image stabilizing bino's are OK. Go figure.

49er
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

Yes, the rule on not allowing spotting scopes always baffled me, as does the rule not allowing a rebarrel, but a liner. I feel the intent is to avoid a machine race, but it doesnt stop big $ from being spent when tip toeing around the edges.