2024 WESTERN SB OPEN SIGHTS SPORTING RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

2024 WESTERN SB OPEN SIGHTS SPORTING RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by lone ringer »

The announcement program and entry to this match was included on the actual Western/NRA Lever Action Championships and not wanting to lose any people interested in attending I decided to make it's own topic. To give a short story to how the sport got started in this country. I will tell you that I introduced the sport here in Steelchickens last year. It has been very popular in the Northern states of Mexico of Sonora, Baja California and maybe others that I have no knowledge of at this moment.
I will explain briefly the equipment and rules for those of you that have not heard of this rifle silhouette sport yet, the rifles used in this type of competition are .22 rimfire, standard or HV but not hipper velocity. Unaltered Sporting/Hunting with open sights (no receiver or tang sight allowed).
Modification to lengthen or shorten the stock to fit shooters height are allowed and trigger adjustment also as long as it remains safe, any rifle with unsafe trigger will be retired from that particular's day competition (not allowed to fix and return to competition on same day). No attachments allowed to rifles exterior like barrel tuners, weights, or cheek rests. You are allowed to refinish, paint or attach decals to stock.
Rules: Very simple; Same as SB Lever Action Rifle Silhouette. We use half size targets and the distances are 40, 50, 75 and 100 meters.
Time limit; If you are shooting along side of SB Lever Action matches use the 30 minute load and 2 minutes to fire 5 rounds.
Classification: Same as SB Lever Action or SB Rifle Silhouette. You should not start classification from scratch in this this sport unless you have never shot SB Lever Action or SB Rifle Silhouette.
The main objective of this sport is to introduce it to new shooters without breaking the bank, since it does not require the expenditure of several thousands of dollars in equipment. It has proven to be very popular with the Mexican shooters and they report double of more attendance at their matches. Many of them are women and juniors that would not be in attendance if they had to purchase expensive rifle and scopes.
Last year Ridgeway, PA had an introductory match after the SB Lever Action Rifle Silhouette Nationals and they had 20 plus shooters.
I had and introductory match at Raton, NM. two days before the start of the Western Lever Action Championships with 40 shooters in attendance.
The match was a success and everybody told me they wanted to do it again so this year we are planning of having a two day championship.
The match is going to be held on June 29-30 in Raton, NM. just before the NRA/Western Lever Action National Championships.
By the way I already have 25 entries and I know a lot of my friends that are attending the match but have not sent their entry yet.
If you have any questions regarding the sport, the match, etc. Do not hesitate to contact me. Tony Tello
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Re: 2024 WESTERN SB OPEN SIGHTS SPORTING RIFLE CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by cedestech »

This format is a lot of fun. We have been doing it for years at BRI in Houston. Some ways it's easier because the rifles tend to be more accurate, in some ways it's harder because of the open sights. I encourage all match directors to make it a class in their program. It cost nothing to add and if you get a couple extra shooters from the club, all the better.

Kudo's Tony for doing this.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

Here is a PDF of the Entry Form and the Program, if it makes it any easier.

Dennis Ostler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Very happy to announce that we are four months away from having the second Western SB Open Sights Sporting Rifle Championship and we already have 31 people signed up for it. I know there are at least 10 of my friends that have not sent their entry. If the number of shooters do not double we will probable have only three relays, like last years. I urge you to not wait until the last minute and send your entry as soon as possible so I can start doing the squadding.
JohnHenry
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by JohnHenry »

Tony, right now we have nearly 100 shooters registered for the Lever Gun Championships at Raton in July. So I am puzzled as to why more have not signed up for the sporting rifle match. It is definitely a lot of FUN. I thoroughly enjoyed it last year.

You shooters who are hesitant to try it should take the plunge. You won't be sorry.

Jim Luke
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

It is a hoot. Have been tardy but Teresa and I will be shooting it, coming in early just for it.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

We have received 45 registrations for the match to date and I know several more shooters that are going to participate but have not sent their entries.
There are 175 shooters registered for the Western/NRA Lever Action Championships which start a couple of days after the Open Sights match, so if you can afford to spend a few more days at Raton NM this year, I promise you will have a lot fun shooting the SB Open Sights two day championship.
If you are planning on coming to the match please send me your entry and don't wait until the last minute so I can squad you with your favorite spotter.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

To encourage more of you to participate in this championship I will be offering $500 cash to the first person that fires the FIRST perfect score of 60X60 at the match. If there are more than one perfect score shot, they will have to share the money or have a shoot off, winner takes all. The score cards must have to be signed by competitors or spotters next to you, in other words performance has to be witnessed.

This is not as hard as it sounds.
My Mexican friends have been shooting Open Sights matches like this one for more than 10 years and a few of the top shooters have shot several perfect scores of 40X40.