New Club in Town

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

New Club in Town

Post by 375Short »

The Bomb City Silhouette Club has found a home at the Amarillo rifle and Pistol Club. The new club will host approved 1/10 scale NRA air rifle matches and air rifle club matches on 1/5 scale Smallbore targets. The plan is to host one big match a year, The “GLOBAL Air Rifle Silhouette Championship “. Schedule to be announced soon. At some point not to distant the schedule will also appear on the ARPC web page. https://www.amarillorpc.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: New Club in Town

Post by acorneau »

Congratulations on getting this program up and running!

I was curious to understand the reference to "Bomb City". I was able to find this Wikipedia article in case anyone else needs a little education on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex

I look forward to seering your announcement of the dates for the GLOBAL Championship! :ymcowboy:

PS: don't forget to add this announcement on the NASSA website.
Allen Corneau
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Thanks Allen.

As you pointed out Bomb City is a nickname for Amarillo. For a long time the facility was secret. People that worked in the facility told others they maid greeting cards. I guess in a way they did.
The patch center color being yellow is based on Amarillo being Spanish for “Yellow”. The city name history has a number of theories. The one most logical is this: the original town was a small Mexican village near a spring and small river. The area was covered in yellow flowers each year in early summer.
The none traditional animal profile is a recognition of the sport’s history as it allegedly began in Mexico. I have read and been told that in its beginnings the animals didn’t have metal friends standing in for them.
The cowboy riding the bomb - it’s Texas! The bomb is a fairly common theme in the area and may help garner some support as I panhandle for prize donations. It’s a tad juvenile like me and seemed to get a “that’s cool” response from the younger folks I ran it passed.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

I would be interested in thoughts on a good time to have a big match. One factor that may be worth considering is according to historical weather data August is the less windy month followed by October. August is hot, October is typically perfect temps but can also be hot or have an occasional short lived taste of winter. June, July, August and September are already busy for folks chasing the Monarch cup and a number of other big matches. Those are things that have crossed my mind when trying to pick a good date. There is probably no perfect choice for everyone but it’s worth putting thought into in an attempt to pick something with a chance of suiting a majority.

It’s also a possibility that a big match may not happen until 2025. With or own travels along with starting a new club and associated tasks to go with that 2024 may be overly ambitious to get it done with a quality deserving of a big match.
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

Smallbore and HP Nationals in Ridgway will be late July to the first weekend in August. The next big matches should be:
  • the Tulsa Red Castle regional in mid to late September
  • Zwolle should be the second weekend in October
  • Texas smallbore championship second weekend in November

I think the Monarch Cup is up in the air as to whether Canada and/or Mexico will be in the mix. There was talk about reducing the number of big travel matches for 2024, but the US nationals is locked in.

Given these dates, I think early September would be a good time. I would check with Stan Henry to see what dates they are looking at for the Red Castle match and offset yours by two to three weekends.

Just my two cents.
Allen Corneau
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

https://www.amarillorpc.com/calendar

The Amarillo Rifle and Pistol Club will have its first Air Rifle Silhouette match Saturday April 13th. The schedule is posted on the club web page calendar. It appears in green letters under the tab “Air Rifle”. One match a month is scheduled through November with three approved NRA matches during the summer. Matches mostly fall on the first Saturday of the month, but not always.

Club matches will consist of both 1/10 and 1/5 scale targets and allow shooters to fire in a supported class if they desire. A supported class will also be allowed during NRA approved matches without directly competing with shooters firing under official NRA rules.

Bomb City Silhouette Club, as mentioned in the original post, never became an operational club.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

First Club match is in the books. It was lots of fun regardless of the very windy conditions. Had lots of help for set up and tear down which was and always will be greatly appreciated. The rifle make up was about half target rifles and half PCP’s , had one Sporter with a TX200.