Open sights-sight picture

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Open sights-sight picture

Post by H.Plummer »

Question for those of you shooting the sporting rimfire open sights class, or anyone who shoots open sights.
What sight picture are you using? Are you burying the bead in the rear notch or letting it hover above the notch, kinda like a partial peep sight?
With my semi-buckhorn rear sight I seem to have a better view of the target if I hover the bead in the notch but I'm not sure it's as repeatable as burying the bead at the bottom of the notch.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Open sights-sight picture

Post by 375Short »

With a bead I center the bead in the rear sight and zero the rifle so the bead is centered on the target(s). It’s not my favorite open sight option for shooting targets. I prefer a square rear sight notch and a square front post zeroed to hold on the belly of the pig and ram then the top of the leg for Turkey and chicken. Basically a six o’clock hold as if shooting bullseye targets. Open sights have a vast set of preferences among shooters.
chickenhater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by chickenhater »

I center the front sight in the notch with the top of the post even with the top of the mid sight. Then i zero for a 6oclock hold. If im not going to adjust the sights i set up on the chickens base, pigs belly, turkey center hold and rams i cover, even with the rams horns. Not perfect but it works reasonably well.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thanks for the replies. I'll be giving it a whirl tomorrow at our first club match of the season with a Marlin 39A and a Browning 53. I'm not quite all dialed in with my Winchester 94 30-30 to shoot the high power class yet.