Scopes for HP

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Scopes for HP

Post by Bob259 »

What scopes are everyone using for your HP Rifle? I have an 6.5x20 EFR Leupold not being used right now, with a dot, and was wondering if that will work OK, or is there a better choice that I need to consider.
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Scopes for HP

Post by stsbuyer »

Bob259 wrote:What scopes are everyone using for your HP Rifle? I have an 6.5x20 EFR Leupold not being used right now, with a dot, and was wondering if that will work OK, or is there a better choice that I need to consider.
Bob,

I have a Leuplod 6.5x20LR mounted on one of mine and a Leupold 24 BRD on the other. What you have should work fine for High Power.
6.5x55 Rem Long action, 25" Hart #5.5 taper, Pharr RT stock, 24 BRD scope
6.5x47 Rem Short action, Kreiger 25.5" #5 barrel, RT/s stock, 6.5x20 LR scope

Good luck with your new HP Rifle.

Paul
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

I have Leupolds on all of mine. 24x on the 7-08 green heavy rifle, 8.5-25x on a 7-08 hunter, 6.5-20x EFR's on the .308 700 Classic, .243 700 Classic and the Ruger 7x57, and a fixed 12x on a Rem 788 .308. All have dot reticles. One thing nice about the variables is that you can turn down the power to lessen the visible effects of heavy mirage, or increase the field of view when you are shooting in the wind so you can actually see how many animals go flying by when you get hit by a gust! Bob, you have an ideal scope for this game.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Weaver T-24's on smallbore and high power, I use the same scope to maintain the same sight picture across the board. I have looked at the Leupold 25X fixed power with the silhouette dot. Very impressed with the optics. Will probably change all three over this winter.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Thanks guys.... was hoping I didn't have to add anything else to the list of things I need to get. Many more things and and the wife will be shipping me off to the big shooting range in the sky :wink:

Still cheaper then getting started with an AR and CMP shooting :)
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Bob.....You'd be in good company. :) But it ain't time yet. You got lots of High Power shooting ahead of you man!
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Bob259 wrote: Still cheaper then getting started with an AR and CMP shooting :)
All that and a lot less uptight bunch to shoot with! Seriously, the only thing that keeps me from selling my AR Service rifle is that the lack of it will be the only thing that'll make me wanna go shoot a NRA HP match (but I could probably get a Pharr stock and a barrel with the proceeds.......hmmm now there's a thought!).

Leupy'll do you just fine! If you switch scopes later the EFR'll be a great one for a smallbore gun as well!
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

efr's a good choice

Post by fwt1712 »

They're hard to go past - good power range and focus range, plus air rifle proof. The 10m focus allows indoor dry practice as well when you can't get to the range.
fwt1712
B Poster
B Poster

efr's a good choice

Post by fwt1712 »

They're hard to go past - good power range and focus range, plus air rifle proof. The 10m focus allows indoor dry practice as well when you can't get to the range.
NewAZShooter
A Poster
A Poster

Post by NewAZShooter »

I know that they won't be considered able to stand up to the Leupolds, but as far as what scope I use, I had Chicken George send me a Barska 8-32x 50mm as a budget alternative scope a while back and I have been very happy with it so far as a rifle sil. scope. It repeats well. I have the Barska 4-16x 50mm on my SB Hunter rifle as well. Saved a wad of cash on those two.

Clarity is pretty good for the price. The big 50mm objective lens lets in more light than I would have thought at 32x. Also, I love that I can turn on the red dot in low light or against a black animal. On silhouettes painted white, I shoot it with the black dot as it contrasts well. But on the black painted animals or in low light I like to turn the knob to light up the dot red, which makes it stand out against the black animal better on a cloudy day.

It sounds like you are good to go with what you've got. I had a simmons 6-18x 40mm on my HP rifle and I wanted more power for the farther animals. So you might decide you want to move to something with more power than your 20, but plenty of folks shoot lower power scopes and love them. So it seems to be very much a personal preference. It'll be tough to find a scope with a better reputation than your Leupold.

Good luck and good shooting!
~JW

Love it when those chickens fly!

CZ 452 Silhouette
Ruger 10/22 W/ Clark Custom Barrel, B&C Anschutz Style Stock
Interarms Mark X 30.06
Browning BuckMark .22LR
T/C .22 LR, .22 Hornet
Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag