Powder Storage

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Powder Storage

Post by Bob259 »

What are your thoughts on powder storage and how do you store your different powders. Over the years I used to just store in it the containers on my loading bench, but only shooting handgun I only had about two or three different ones and probably about 10 lbs total. Now that I'm giong to be shooting rifle I will have more types and a larger quantity.

Looked at the powder magazine that Cabelas has but it's awful small and very expensive for the size http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

So I said I'd ask the experts what they are using or doing....
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

I use one powder for my 308's and 223, so its just an 8lb jug o' 4895 on the shelf, which gets blended into the two 1lb jugs in the drawer that I feed the hopper from.
Once I go to 260, 605x47 or 7-08 when my next barrel goes, I'll have to expand......
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

I have close to 300 lbs of 8 lb jugs in a fire locker in my garage.

What good the fire locker will do, I dont know. But at least I am trying...
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Where did you get your fire locker?
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Holy crap Hoser......300 pounds? :shock: No wonder we have a powder shortage in Denver...you bought it all :lol: .....Bob 259...you better stock up now before Hoser buys up the NY supply :roll:
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BOB MC ALICE wrote:Holy crap Hoser......300 pounds? :shock: No wonder we have a powder shortage in Denver...you bought it all :lol: .....Bob 259...you better stock up now before Hoser buys up the NY supply :roll:
lol .... and I was thinking 40-50 lbs altogether was a lot and had me concerned
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Smokless powder is not explosive. It is flamable and burns very quickly. It isn't a problem unless it is contained and allowed to build up pressure as it burns. My biggest concern is keeping it in a cool dry place so it dosen't deteroriate on the shelf. Don't put it in a strong, tight container and then let it get real hot.

If you are concerned, you could get a flamable material storage container at an industrial supply company. I don't think they are very expensive.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Jerry is right....keep it cool (room temp is OK) and dry. A cheap metal cabinet from Staples or Home Depot is plenty good enough for storage. Kept in these conditions the propellant will last longer than you and me. The gasoline in your cars fuel tank in your garage poses more of a hazard than smokeless propellant does..... that is unless you live nextdoor to Hoser! :lol:
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BOB MC ALICE wrote:Jerry is right....keep it cool (room temp is OK) and dry. A cheap metal cabinet from Staples or Home Depot is plenty good enough for storage. Kept in these conditions the propellant will last longer than you and me. The gasoline in your cars fuel tank in your garage poses more of a hazard than smokeless propellant does..... that is unless you live nextdoor to Hoser! :lol:
Great, THANKS to all. Wass just a little concerned that after a certain amount I needed one of these 'special powder magazines' to be within the law.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bob259 wrote:
BOB MC ALICE wrote:Jerry is right....keep it cool (room temp is OK) and dry. A cheap metal cabinet from Staples or Home Depot is plenty good enough for storage. Kept in these conditions the propellant will last longer than you and me. The gasoline in your cars fuel tank in your garage poses more of a hazard than smokeless propellant does..... that is unless you live nextdoor to Hoser! :lol:
Great, THANKS to all. Was just a little concerned that after a certain amount I needed one of these 'special powder magazines' to be within the law.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bob259 wrote:
Bob259 wrote:
Great, THANKS to all. Was just a little concerned that after a certain amount I needed one of these 'special powder magazines' to be within the law.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Bob 259....no more coffee for you, your out of control. :lol:
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BOB MC ALICE wrote:Bob 259....no more coffee for you, your out of control. :lol:

WOW!!! I see that, no idea how that happened.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Bob gets REALLY excited when he talks about explosives.........or flammables.....

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

Bob259 wrote:Where did you get your fire locker?
Found it at an Army Surplus store. Heavy sucker, but nothing more than a storage cabinet lined with drywall and spring loaded doors.

BOB MC ALICE wrote:Holy crap Hoser......300 pounds? No wonder we have a powder shortage in Denver...you bought it all .....Bob 259...you better stock up now before Hoser buys up the NY supply
Well I am an IPSC and shotgun shooter at heart. Some years I can go through as much as 40K rounds. That and I do have a 50. Burning 228 gns of powder at a whack tends to go through a jug or two in a hurry. There is maybe 250 rounds in an 8 lb jug.

That and I only buy 4 or 8 lb jugs anymore.