First Stock Project.

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

First Stock Project.

Post by kevinpagano »

After messing with different cheek attachments. I gave up and decided to build up the stock on my Sons CZ Scout. He has a v16 Weaver with the lowest rings possible and his cheek will still not sit on the stock well. So far much easier than I anticipated. Pictures to come shortly.

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/ ... ect021.jpg

kevinImage
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Nice.
I've been thinking of doing that to a BDL stock for my HP hunter gun.

I wonder how Bondo compares to wood, weight-wise........
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Bondo is fine if your rig has a lot of weight to spare but if you are close to not making weight. Mixing glass micro-balloons with Brownell's Accraglass bedding compound or fiber glass resin will enable you to add dimension to the parts of the stock you want to build up without adding as much weight as Bondo does.

I warn you to use a dust mask or respirator when mixing and sanding the glass micro-balloons. If you make the mixture too runny you have to figure a way to contain it within the area you want to build up so it does not go all over the place. A gunsmith friend of mine uses thin stiff pieces of cardboard and masking tape, pliable pieces of stiff plastic like the ones used for making for sale signs would work as well.

Also tape the parts of the stock you do not want to come in contact with the mixture because once it hardens the only way it will come out is by removing it with sand paper. With my friend's help I have modified at least three stocks and I am happy with the results.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

This is a learning process for me. My son just couldnt get is cheek down on the stock. His CZ had plenty of room to spare for weight. The job has been alot easier than anticipated but I am not done painting yet. He went with a dark gray/black speckled textured paint with bright red spider webbing pattern. I will get pics when I am done.

Kevin
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Kevin, Truck Bed Coating by Dupli-Color is one of my favorite stock spray paints. Easy to apply, very durable with great texture for those stocks that get slippery in the summer months. It only comes in black but you can paint over it if you don't care for black.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

That sounds like a great idea. that might give me more choices on color with a textured feel. My other son is already asking when we are doing his.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Here's what I painted my reshaped prone rifle stock with that I PM'ed you about.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31

After using that rifle, as soon as time and weather allows I'll be stripping down glossy blue CZ stock I totally overhauled and applying this finish to it. It's been really tough so far, and if something did actually get through the paint it would just take a second to respray a little patch. That truck bed coating sounds really cool, too, though.