Air to gain Respect!

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Air to gain Respect!

Post by atomicbrh »

I saw many good things at the 2008 Southern Nationals in Winnsboro. One thing that has stood out in my mind as a monthly match director is the way that the Air Rifle Matches were conducted as a true Relay Match instead of a IMHSA flow method this year. Observing the continuous on the line flow method at many different ranges in the past, it always seemed like get on the line as fast as you can, throw your pellets downrange as fast as you can and get off the line as fast as you can so that you can get finished with the match as quickly as possible. In monthly local matches the motivation is to get to lunch, home or something else as fast as possible. I also think that time should never be cut short for a bank just because competitors seem to be finished with a bank. Shooters should know how much time they wasted or how much calm conditions they could have used if they had been patient and used all their time during a bank of targets.

I think for Air Rifle and Air Pistol Silhouette to have the credibility they deserve they should be treated with the same respect as the powder-burning Silhouette disciplines and using the relay method contributes to that public image of respect. With the winds we had at Winnsboro Air Rifle this year(wind changes so quick that no spotter can help a shooter) the top Air Rifle shooters should be held in high esteem as the skilled artisans that they are.

I encourage all of my fellow Match Directors to use the relay method whenever possible if you have enough competitors. This way people can shoot Silhouette with the classic Spotter/Shooter relay method which is the purest form of the sport. Make what we are doing seem important because it is.

Bobby R. Huddleston
2many7s
B Poster
B Poster

I agree and a few other items

Post by 2many7s »

Like Bobby said to be taken seriously we must take the match seriously. I saw and heard some things that really bothered me at the Open Air Rifle match on Friday. The spotter a few over from me took a phone call while he was spotting and talked to the caller all during the relay. Later the same guy had his phone ring, (he just left the ringer on during the match) and he did not take the call but he let it ring about 5 times. This would have not been allowed during a smallbore match and showed the disrespect that some shooters have for others. I will be sure this is addressed at my matches as a reminder to all of our local shooters and I hope all other match directors will do so also.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

So true on all points guys. Not sure who the cell phone perp was but I know it wasn't me :lol: I left my cell in my truck and when I did have it only on silent. The cells should be turned to vibrate if you just can't not go without it for some reason. Then if it rings you should walk well away before answering if you take it. Otherwise leave the damn thing in the car you came to shoot not jaw jack. I realize some people work through phones these days but a little decency towards the others by merely walking away to talk would go a long way to not upsetting your fellow shooters.

As for the time yes I agree it should be 2:45 seconds everytime and not only because it would give you time to see the conditions you missed having but also because some people shoot fast but still want that time to set the rifle down. If you call the bank cease fire with 45 seconds to go and then only give 15 seconds rest before the next bank it can be daunting for 3 matches. All my airguns weigh much more than my SB rifle so I want that time to recoup and regroup.

The spotting issue has come up in my mind now after attending the Sunshine Classic and Southern Nats. We NEVER use spotters at any local match be it SB or airgun. We are few so we don't really get relays to often most times there is a bank open depending on turnout. But no matter we do no spotting so I am not improving my knowledge to spot for others and myself nor and I gaining experience using a spotter as I shoot.

I had spotters in both Fl. and La. that is the only time since starting last year. I feel like we need to do this more so that it is not so foreign to us at big matches. It can almost be a distraction when you used to calling your own break point and moving on. So I hope to get some others to want to learn spotting as well as shooting. From what I have been told you want someone you will work as a team with and that makes sense.

For airguns except the springer I really don't need a spotter to tell me where I hit as I can see the pellet and impact but to call conditions would be important for airgun.

Like you say Bobby it is almost like a race to finish the match at times for many people. I like to try and stay till the end and help pick up when I can but a lot of guys shoot their 2 matches and take off because of other obligations that day etc.

The Winnsboro match was my first big airgun sil match and I had a blast.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Speaking as an air gun rookie, I'm hooked...Now how to convince our club that we need some air gun targets.....I absolutely love seeing the pellet come into the field of view of the scope and take the target down...wish it happened more often :lol:

Shooting air rifle at Winnsboro gave me time to visit with a lot of shooters that I had not had the opportunity to get to know well...I really enjoyed the time I spent with these folks....and the young people were absolutely outstanding.....I'm glad these kids are coming along to ensure the survival of our sport in the future....They were a genuine joy to be around.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

After shooting air rifle in Winnsboro I'm convinced it is the future of silhouette target shooting for several reasons, and I expect to work with Kitty to establish a program here. What fascinates me is how unforgiving it is! Any mistake in form or follow through will blow the shot, so it's very easy to see why air gun practice will make you better with any rifle.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

If You like Air Rifle silhouette you should try Air Pistol Silhouette....
At our club we clear the line calls at the beginning of the match, I ask everyone if they are happy with the call of cease fire before time has expired and everyone has finished firing, we also reduce the Pistol ready time from 30 seconds to 15 as long as everyone agrees. Also it's 30 seconds stand down time.
Commands are something like. Cease fire, we will dispense with the remaining time and take a 30 second break, after 20 seconds i call shooters to the line for your next bank of animals. then " does any one need any more time" Shooters for your "X" bank of animals the command is ready.
Those of you who shot the match on wednesday would have experience that and no one complained, a number did ask for a little more time as they did not have there gun set up or run out of pellets, did not reset targets etc.
If people know what to expect it is always better. Just my 2c worth. not 15.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Limey, the air rifle matches at Winnsboro were great! Next year I'll bring a bench mat to protect the rifle, and maybe we'll get just a little more space between shooters! Please? That was a little friendlier than I like, but the calling was great! You were very attentive to pacing the shooters so things moved quickly without us feeling rushed. Thanks for a great job!
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ