What types of pellets do you prefer?

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

What types of pellets do you prefer?

Post by ShooterP14 »

:?: I have been using RWS Meisterkugeln .177 wad cutter pellets, but out past the rams, I have seen keyholeing when sighting in on paper. Also, I have about a 15 moa drop from chickens to rams. My rifle is a Walther LG 300 XT.

I am trying to get a concensus of the type and/or brand that seems to be the most popular.

-Pat- :twisted:
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Experienced shooters at Winnsboro recommended domed pellets for Silhouette and looked like a lot of them liked Champion's Choice. It looks like a local outfit (www.umarexusa.com) has several varieties of RWS and a sampler pack I may pick up tomorrow.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day
Domed pellets are the choice as they always present a round front even if they become slightly unstable due to velocity loss. One of our new shooters was using Meisterkugeln's and could hit heaps of chickens but was missing everthing else. I recommended he switched to RWS Superdomes and gave him some other tips and the next week he beat me. That's what you get for being nice!! Give them a go and see what happens all you have to loose is the cost of a tin of pellets.
Juddy
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

Postings above agree with my understanding as well. The flat head pellets are great for 10 meter shooting and I use both Champions Choice and H&N for the 10 meter stuff in the winter. The flat head pellets don't make it for silhouette though. The round head pellets seem to work best. Try several different brands and weights and see what your rifle likes. Generally the high powered precharged guns shoot heavier pellets and the spring guns shoot lighter pellets. I personally shoot Crosman premier lights(7.9 gr) in both my spring guns and my target rifle but friends shoot other stuff like JSBs. When I practice in the basement I use the cheapest pellets I can get. Right now the cheapest is a Daisey target pellet which actually shoots pretty well at 10 meters.
Incidently, I've never found any of the hunting pellets (pointed or hollow point) to shoot very well at all. I don't even use them for practice.
Richard
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Open - Beeman Kodiak Match 10.6g
Target - Crosman Premier lights or JSB lights 7.9g
Sporter - JSB lights

The domed pellets are the best overall for consistent loading ease and accuracy. As with any barrel some are more picky about the pellets than others and will favor one brand over others for accuracy. At this point in time you can't beat the JSB pellets and the Crosman Premier for the most part. Beeman and RWS make good pellets as well. Many pellets you see under one name are the same as other pellets with different names. Kodiaks are the same as H&N Barricuda's for example.

So try those out and see which groups the best. The only reason I use Beeman vs JSB for Open is that my rifle feeds the kodiaks much smoother with the breech design it has, accuracy between the two pellets is not much different when compared.

I actually use and like the Crosman Pointed pellets you can get a wally for $3 per 300 they shoot well and for the price hard to beat. I will be ordering some CPL's however with my next pellet order as they fit the breech a little tighter and have slightly better QC in manufacturing.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
durant7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by durant7 »

I have been a huge fan of JSB Exacts which I think folks may be calling JSB lights....I have never heard of them called lights. Just JSB Exact Jumbo's...thus if it ain't a Jumbo, it must be a light..or lite...

Anyway, these are great pellets but in recent years have become hard to source and are no longer inexpensive. I think I picked up a sleeve in the early years for $35. A great deal!!!

In NH, a local store stocks and sells Crossman Premier Lights aka CPL's. Just $13 for 1,300 or whatever that silly qty is in the even more practical corrugated box. I have decided that both are on par with maybe a slight nod to the JSBs as they just look as though they are more uniform. Unless you are shooting paper, wadcutters don't work IMO. I have heard that Beeman Kodiaks are also great. One fellow who we all know as one of the top 5 shooters in the country shoots Kodiak heavy's in his TX200 and says regardless of what people say about what you should use in a spring gun, they shoot GREAT with no problems.

As we all say, YMMV!!

Have fun!
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Crosman Premier in both my air rifles Lights for the TX heavy's for the Styer AZ. H&N for the air pistol
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

Premiere lites in my HW-77