trigger pound testing

This is what we do.
Koldkut
A Poster
A Poster

trigger pound testing

Post by Koldkut »

Slap me if this is too stupid simple, but to test the trigger for trigger weight, you could hook a digital fishing scale to the trigger and pull back on the trigger to find out how many pounds it is rated at?
scorlett
B Poster
B Poster

Sure...

Post by scorlett »

But, be prepared to throw it in the lake if it doesn't pass the limit!

Sorry about my lame humor, it had been a tough day at work...

Jason and Bobby gave the good answers. Linear force is not complicated. 2 pounds is 2 pounds. Like they mentioned, just be sure the pull is unobstructed and can be applied to the trigger consistently in the proper direction.

Sam
Last edited by scorlett on Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Theoretically, yes, you could. You'd need to be careful to make sure you pulled the trigger exactly rearward, though. Taking the action out of the stock to do the testing would make this a lot easier. After using a few "trigger pull gauges" (even some very expensive ones) to test my silhouette triggers, I finally decided that I didn't really care exactly how heavy the trigger was. I really only cared if it was legal for hunter class.

Using an empty, rinsed out 20-ounce Pepsi bottle, some packing tape, a wire hanger, and some lead shot, I made my own "variable precision trigger tester." I use my shipping scale that weighs down to the nearest 1/10 of an ounce to weigh the contraption as I vary the amount of lead shot in it. When I first made it, my factory CZ trigger varied by up to several ounces between trigger pulls so I had the tester at 2lbs 2oz and adjusted the CZ trigger so that it would pick up the tester 10/10 times. Now that I have the Timney trigger in there that only varies by an ounce or two at most between pulls, I have the tester set at 2lbs 0.5oz and adjust the trigger so that it picks the tester up 10/10 times.

This "high tech" tester makes it very obvious how consistent a trigger really is. With the factory CZ trigger, some of the time it would just barely pick the tester up, and I had to do it very slowly. Other times, I could pick the tester up quickly and had to bounce the gun up and down slightly to get the trigger to trip. With the Timney trigger, I have to pick the tester up slowly every time and the slightest quick wiggle will trip the trigger.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

I use the same method that Jason described but I did not have any lead shot. I used a milk jug with a handle and water to vary the weight. I am just careful not to get water on the rifle. Our Anschutz triggers (Hunter) are adjusted to pick up 2 pounds but unable to pickup 2 pounds 2 ounces. After this adjustment, my cheap RCBS trigger guage reads about 2 pounds 1 ounce. There is much superstition about rifles reading higher trigger weight mounted in the stock than out of the stock. This is technically impossible according to Anschutz Factory folks. Trigger weight may seem higher with the action in the stock because it is harder to get a straight pull on your trigger weight device especially spring type testers. Jason's method is a good method, the best I have found.

Bobby R. Huddleston
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

I use the same method posted by atomicbrh, except instead of fooling around with a scale trying to weigh the jug, I just use a kitchen measuring cup that has ounce graduations and pour in the water, keeping track of the ounces poured. Very simple, works for me.
Koldkut
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Koldkut »

jnyork wrote:I use the same method posted by atomicbrh, except instead of fooling around with a scale trying to weigh the jug, I just use a kitchen measuring cup that has ounce graduations and pour in the water, keeping track of the ounces poured. Very simple, works for me.
what equation do you use to figure out oz water weight to pounds?
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

trigger pound testing

Post by Innocent »

The following web site has a great link for conversions

http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/

Here at Univeristy of Central Florida/FSEC we use 8.32 pounds per gallon of water to calculate volume in of water collectors weighed.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Now, can you create a conversion table so that jnyork will know the weight differential when he pours that water under conditons of non-standard temperature and pressure? (Arizona averages what? About 145F year around? And I believe that most of Wyoming gets above absolute zero only during their 8 seconds of summer...) :-)

Where the Hell is Theodore when you really need him? :roll: :shock:
E Kuney
Troy G
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Troy G »

Is there supposed to be a standard point on the trigger where the pull is measured from? With a straight trigger shoe like on most of the factory Anschutz triggers wouldn't the amount of weight the trigger could pick up vary depending on where the trigger was loaded?
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

I see nothing in the rule book about it but I've always been told -- and it's the procedure that I use when running tech -- that the weight should be suspended at either the center of the trigger on a straight shoe or at the center of the curve (where the finger normally rests) on triggers of other types.

The best weights that I've seen use a rolling contact that allows the weight to settle at the typical finger contact point with the rifle held vertically.

Yes, placing the weight at different points will yield differing WOPs. (That's why many match triggers have a 'locator' on the staff -- so the finger always settles in the same location and the trigger releases at the same weight.) But, even if you go to extremes and place the weight at either the very top or very bottom of the trigger staff, it's going to be insignificant in terms of match scores!

This could really get into the area where we start debating about how many of us can dance on the head of a pin! :wink:
E Kuney
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

trigget weight

Post by Jerry G »

The weight of water depends on the amount of suspended solids in it. Converting water by volum to weight works good when you are a navel architect but not if you are weighing something very acurate.

All this means nothing because your finger can't tell the difference in minor changes in weights. Just set the thing so you can pass tech at any range and learn to shoot with it. But most of all, have fun.