Recommendations -- Newbie Shooter -- Left Handed

This is what we do.
Olive

Recommendations -- Newbie Shooter -- Left Handed

Post by Olive »

Looking for advice as I move out of pistol and into small bore rifle -- I'd like to hear opinions on a "hunter class" offering in a left handed bolt -- Anshutz in a 54 action (left?) or 64 action versus a Cooper -- and on the Cooper is the SVL an acceptable taper?

I'll worry about the optics after I select a rifle -- I appreciate your assistance -- regards.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

new left hander

Post by Jerry G »

If I had to start again, I would get a good hunter rifle caus you can shoot it in both classes.

If your going to a hunter Anschutz, it would be the 1700 serries. They are their own action but not a 54. You might want to look into getting the 2 stage trigger. They are nice, now that I know how to adjust them. I think they make a lefty but I'm not sure. If you can't caugh up the money for an Anchutz, I think the CZ would be your next best choice. A little work on the trigger and you have a nice gun that should get you into master class if you are willing to spend the time.

Scopes ar another story. I lean toward the 6.5 x 20 Lepould but they are a little expensive. I guess someone else could give you an opinion on one not so costly. Whatever you get, it has to have target knobs. I started out with a $100 Tasco that worked fine but it wasn't real clear.

Good luck and don't quit just because you only shot 12 your first time out.
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

I agree with what Jerry G said. A left handed CZ 452 will be a good gun to use. With a trigger set from Chicken George(shameless plug) this gun will take you a long way.

Scopes in my opinion is diferent, I think you should get the best one you can get because you can move this scope to a better( more expensive) gun in the future. What you need is a scope keeps your setting.

That is all you need to enjoy this sport.

except that you would also need a mascot.
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Olive,

Agree with both post just thought I would add, e-mail bobby pitchford at PCG about building a left-hand CZ, he does great work, is a CZ distributer and wouldn't ya know he's left-handed too.

bobbypitchford@sbcglobal.net
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
Olive

CZ consideration for a "newbie" shooter

Post by Olive »

Dawg and team -- thanks for the input, I really hadn't considererd the CZ product line due to the fit and finish of the product I shouldered at Cabela's... however, on the sites I've visited it does have a strong reputation. I'll send a note to Bobby and seek his opinion.

Sunday afternoon, I'm off to a plat shoot and perhaps a new club where there might be additional silhouete shooters.

Thanks, for your time, I'll be in touch.

Regards :)
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

The CZ's fit and finish are reflected in the price but the accuracy potential of the barrelled action is a great bargain.