1712 vs. 54MSR Hunter

This is what we do.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

1712 vs. 54MSR Hunter

Post by atomicbrh »

Ok, like everyone else we are thinking about having a Pharr or Pearson built. We want to build a split finger and come in a little lighter than the typical Pharr 54MSR Hunter rifle so that we have more Scope/Ring/Mount height options due to the length of my son's neck. He is only a few months past 14 and already 6 foot 2 inches. He now shoots a 1700 series with a single stage trigger in an old gray stock with a 14 and 1/4 inch length of pull but actually may need a longer stock in the future. What parts interchange between the 1712 and the 54MSR? Do the barrels, triggers, etc. interchange? We love the split finger 54MSRs and their weight distribution that we have tried but most of them are coming in just an ounce or so under the maximum hunter weight with the smallest BKL rings and a Weaver T24. I am trying to figure out where is the best place to save a few ounces. Is it in the receiver or in the barrel? Also, what is the total cost of a complete Pharr/Pearson 1712 versus a complete Pharr/Pearson Hunter 54MSR? Will we be satisfied just buying a 1712 barreled action with two stage trigger and having it bedded in a split finger stock? I am trying to at least learn enough so that I can ask intelligent questions when I call Pharr or Pearson.

Thanks,
Bobby R. Huddleston
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

You have a pm.
E Kuney
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

I have build several 1712 and 54.18 on the Parr stocks, my recomendation is to go with the 1712 barrel action and the split finger stock, and use it on both classes, later on you can rebarrel the 1712 with a 53 rf taper barrel ( Lilja ) and you will end up with the best gun for both classes. Remember the 1712 uses the 54.18 action, and now is available with the two stage trigger.
Regards Evelio.
Evelio
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Evelio,

You have a pm.
E Kuney