Average group size

This is what we do.
sshooter
Unclassified Poster

Average group size

Post by sshooter »

When you shoot your silhouette rifle from the bench at 50 yards what size of groups do you get? What is the minimum group size at 50 yards you would consider acceptable from a rifle to make it competitve.
steel_ram
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steel_ram »

70 and 100m's are where some 22 ammo's really poop out. It's important to find a brand that will work in your rifle.

Obviously you want the 100m group size to be smaller than the target but the smaller the better. If you miss a target by 1/2 a bullet width it's still a miss and 120 pt matches can be lost by one point.

I'd say a 1.5" group at 100 is certainly adequate and within the ability of most decent off the rack 22's if enough different ammo's are tried.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Uh oh.....Here comes the group size monster again.....But a good question from a new shooter. Lots of different opinions will most likely be forthcoming, but here is what works for me. First of all the closest distance we shoot is 40 meters, not 50 yards, so that's where I start. I'm fortunate to have an accurate rifle and 5 shot groups are usually just larger than a .22 bullet. Unacceptable at this distance to me would be a group with some of the shots not touching the main group. At 60 meters the group will open up some, but not much. At 77 meters the group will begin to open more but should stay at an MOA or under. At 100 meters I like to stay at 1 inch, but 1 1/2 will give you a lot of ram around the bullet on a center hold. That being said, groups will vary from shooter to shooter with the same rifle and wind and other conditions will have an effect. Good luck, good shooting, and have fun.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Dead center on any animal is worth 2 MOA anyway you look at it.

Just don't use all the moa up on one animal :shock:

LMFAO
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg