How do you really measure distance to the lands?

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: How do you really measure distance to the lands?

Post by Jason »

Sorry for not giving the correct context on the question. I'm currently a master in both rifle classes for smallbore and just started shooting highpower. That smallbore experience has helped me out quite a bit in highpower, enough that I won AAA class aggregate in both hunter and standard highpower at the WA state match last month, getting 2 of my 3 scores necessary to move to master in highpower hunter. I'm currently trying to make the rifle/scope/ammo combo as dependable and accurate as possible to boost my confidence in the bullet hitting exactly where the dot is. That will let me concentrate more on having a clear mind, picking a spot, judging the wind, etc. without thinking about the rifle/scope/ammo at all.

Thanks for all the info so far. It's much appreciated. According to UPS, the latest shipment of reloading gear is on my doorstep now, including the new Redding bush sizing die and Forster micrometer seater die. B-)
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Jim Beckley wrote:I was thinking the same thing, Jerry. If I was a new shooter, I would probably spend my time getting my best position and then trying to get my hold as tight as possible, rather than spend it getting my ammo to group ten thousands tighter!
Yes!

In our game "one hole accuracy" does not matter if you are not on the target.

The Stoney Point/Hornady tool is useful to get a quick measurement that will put you somewhere close. The problem with it is that the headspace of the cartridge you buy to go with it is going to be different than one which has been fired in your chamber. I do not recall the specifications for drilling and tapping a fired case to use with the Hornady tool, but perhaps someone will jump in with them.

Measuring the overall loaded length of the round is deceptive. The length of the bullet itself will frequently vary enough that you will not get a consistent reading. Fortunately it does not matter unless the loaded round will not fit into a magazine if you are using one. Sinclair :shock: carries a gadget which goes on your calipers and measures from the base of the case to the ogive of the bullet which is more important than the overall length. Hornady makes a similar comparator with interchangeable inserts which might be worth a look.

You can take this measurement off of a dummy round or a round using the Hornady tool and then subtract something and start adjusting your seating die.

I may be something of a contrarian, but I do not believe it to be desirable to jam the bullet into the lands of a silhouette rifle. If you try to seat the bullet too close to the lands, some will be in the lands and some will not be, which may or may not cause a different result, but is an unnecessary (IMO) variable.

Oh, it is generally believed that when you first begin to see markings of the lands on the bullet you have actually been in the lands (very slightly) for a little bit.

P.S. Shooting tiny little groups off the bags with a silhouette rifle is not as simple as it may seem. A good off-hand stock is not well suited to shooting off the bags. If you are not using wind flags (and know how to use them), all you will get is an idea of what the rifle may be capable of doing...but that is good enough. When you are sighting in the rifle I suggest shooting three shot groups and making your adjustments based on the center of the group. Once you get a feel for what you and the rifle do off of the bags you may not need to fire quite so many shots during the sight in just to check the elevation. You can use those few extra shots to get a read on the wind in the different conditions so you have some idea what to expect when you see them again during the match.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

I was told by a wise ol bird when I started shooting this game, that if I wanted to be competitive, three things have to be right! gun, ammo and you!
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Jim, I aggree with the three things. If they were in order of importance, you would be first. Most of us have real good rifles and sub minute ammo but the loose nut behind the trigger is the fly in the soup. The largest varabile.