.177 vs .22 air rifle for steel

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
MontereyJack
B Poster
B Poster

.177 vs .22 air rifle for steel

Post by MontereyJack »

what do most people use ? And why ?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: .177 vs .22 air rifle for steel

Post by Bob259 »

All my rifles are .177. A couple of reasons for my choice were, cheaper & easier to find pellets and it's all you need to knock them over.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

On the other hand, if you plan to use the rifle for back yard critter control too, the .22 is a better choice - but I only figured that out after confronting a raccoon with a .177... :roll:
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
MontereyJack
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MontereyJack »

.177 is less efected by the wind ? Is that because of it is moiving faster or because of a smaller cross section?
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

MontereyJack wrote:.177 is less efected by the wind ? Is that because of it is moiving faster or because of a smaller cross section?
I think the 22 is better in the wind. I hear 177 cal shooters saying how far they are holding off rams and on the same day I'll still be holding on the ram.
I'm shooting a RWS Excalibre 22 with 16g JSBs at 875 fps. :D

Daisy
MontereyJack
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MontereyJack »

So one for .177 and one for .22 I just ordered a $2400 air gun that could be had in .177 or .22 I went for the .177 should I call and change to .22?
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

For Silhouette I'd stay with .177 because it's a little more target friendly. My experience is limited, but the .177 dominated at the matches and I've learned to follow the herd on these things until I know enough to buck the tide. If you're unsure, stay with the .177.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
MontereyJack
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MontereyJack »

Thanks I was second guessing myself. Because of the power plant I'll be starting out in open class of guns
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

I wasn't trying to put you off a 177 as it is by far the most used cal.
I shoot a 22 mainly cause that's the pcp that I have and had before I started shooting silhouette. In fact I have a Clearidge scope on the way to fit on my FWB 300s 10 meter gun to give it a try. I wonder if anyone will notice if I wear my jacket and glove ;) .

Daisy
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Daisy,
In the right weather no one will notice the jacket and glove!!

BTW...I'd go with 177 for this game. As for shooting coons in the back yard BB I'll have to teach a thing or two about that as well..so you can feed them to the buzzards when you are done.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Innocent wrote:Daisy,
In the right weather no one will notice the jacket and glove!!

BTW...I'd go with 177 for this game. As for shooting coons in the back yard BB I'll have to teach a thing or two about that as well..so you can feed them to the buzzards when you are done.

Innocent
Open to suggestions, Mary! Given the choice I'd use the 513T with a standard velocity hollow point - pointing down it's safe, and a barrel with its own zip code will muffle the shot just fine - but I was expecting another possum.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

MontereyJack wrote:Thanks I was second guessing myself. Because of the power plant I'll be starting out in open class of guns
What did you get?
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
MontereyJack
B Poster
B Poster

Post by MontereyJack »

I ordered a Daystate Air Wolf MCT with a Hawke 4 X 16 scope from AOA. I did try my 10m Anschutz 8002 with peep sights the first time I went to a steel match. Boy are those rams hard to see through a little hole ment for 10m and not 45 years. I did get 2 of the buggers.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

BB..urban hunting with an old a Baretta 22short, back up is a heritage in 22 short also, placed in the ear works for a lot of critters, now some really pissed off coons, I use a 410...you can get away with one shot, they can't figure out where the sound came from. For an even more amusing side corner me sometime and ask about feeding the coon, giving him a bath then sending him home.

Buzzrds had an appetizer of three rats this morning and I wasn't even in serious hunting mood, still had the chickens running loose and I'm not fond of hunting in the avairy with birds loose.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.