What range to zero in scope?

This is what we do.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

What range to zero in scope?

Post by Sophia »

Do you zero it at 40 and work out?

Or do you zero it at 60 and work both directions?

Something else?
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I zero at 40 meters and reset my target knobs to zero there. Then I adjust from there for pigs, turkeys and rams.

Edit: corrected to say rams
Last edited by Jason on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Jason, did you mean Pigs, Turkeys, and Rams. Cause the Chickens are already at 40 meters.

Kevin
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yep.. corrected it. Thanks.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

zero

Post by ppkny »

Sophia,
I assume you mean where do you put the turn wheel at the '0' mark after you have sighted in the gun for the different distances? Right?
Setting the scope knobs (turn wheel) at '0' when you are shooting the chickens makes it easier to remember that all settings are UP from the chickens, usually with a 1/4 scope click they will be somewhere in the range of 0, 2, 4/5 and 8/9 for the chickens, pigs, turkeys, rams respectfully. This will depend on the ammo you are using but these settings are about what you can expect.
If you are talking about zeroing in in relationship to sighting in that's a different thing. You want the gun to shoot it's best at the 100 meter distances. Any adjustments up/down or left/right are most affected at the longest distance. If you start to make adjustments to your left/right settings when you are setting up the scope at the shorter distances you'll find there's and big change in your long distances.
Although I seen left/right adjustment being made during a match it's not the norm.
After you got the gun /sight the best at 100 meters go back and forth from chickens, pig, turkeys and rams to get you best settings. Always using the chicken distance as your zero '0'.
Hope this helps.
eeleater
B Poster
B Poster

Post by eeleater »

To get the maximum performance from your scope you want to be using its optical and mechanical "center". If you want to take the time to do this, keep on reading.

First you want to have the cross hairs or dot in the optical and mechanical center, or close to it. Take a cardboard box just long enough to fit between the bells on each end. Cut a "V" in the cardboard at each end and place the scope in it and place where you can look through the scope, and sight on something with the scope upright. Now rotate the scope 180 degrees and see how the dot has moved vertically. Adjust it to about 1/2 of the change you saw and repeat. After you find minimal vertical change, do the same thing with the horizontal adjustments. After it stays centered go back and double check the vertical again. This whole process will take a while and be confusing at first. It helps to keep a turret cap on so you are turning the one you intend :roll:

After this is done your dot is in the optical center, and the mechanical adjustments in the middle of theirs.

Mount the scope on the gun and find out where the gun shoots at the Turkey distance. Do NOT adust with the turrets. Shim the scope or base to get as close as you can to be sighted in for both windage and elevation. I use the burris pos-align mounts and use the offset inserts. You can also shim the scope with paper. Another option would be one of the airgun mounts designed to be adjustable in elevation, like an RWS C mount.

Why the turkey distance? It is in about the middle of the adjustment range you will need. It will be about 4 to 5 MOA down to the chickens, and about 4-5 up to the rams.

After you are done with shimming the scope go ahead and sight in for the chickens as you nornally would and as suggested by others.

Personally, I prefer to set the chicken elevation at about 2, and go up from there. Different losts of ammo will shoot to a different point of aim, and with the chickens at 2 an ammo lot which shoots lower will still be above 0.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

zero distance

Post by Jerry G »

Set your zero elevation number for chickens. Be sure to set zero on windage also. Set on a day the wind isn't blowing, they ar easier to loose track of than the elevation settings. Be sure to mark your focus settings (parellex) for all the animals also. Good luck in your new shooting sport. It is not easy so don't get too frustrated when you hit dirt and not steel.
Sophia
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sophia »

Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for, guys. Don't worry that I'll take offense at having the basics explained to me... that is what I'm hoping to get!

Thanks again.
::Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone -- all by itself.::